Aug 17, 2019 at 6:00 PM

Followers 1

Birthday:
Dec 29, 1982 (Age: 36)

Share This Page

Storyteller-Hero

Veteran, Male, 36

Veteran

I hit a snag in writing the main story for my game. I'm going to start making the world map for a stronger overview of the heroes' journey. Aug 10, 2019

Storyteller-Hero was last seen:
Aug 17, 2019 at 6:00 PM
    1. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I wish that I already knew how to do the common events that I'll need, 'cause a second idea came to mind for the IGMC. *watches tutorials*
      1. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I'll be lucky to even finish my first prototype in time, but if things go faster than expected, maybe I could submit a second entry. Dreamers can dream.
        Nov 4, 2018
    2. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I've been watching some Let's Play videos for RPG Maker games. There are a lot of useful things to pick up when games are played for review.
      1. GolfHacker, Kwerty and FrozenNorseman like this.
      2. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        For example, one game disabled certain commands during the opening battle tutorial, to guide the player as they learn to use the interface.
        Nov 2, 2018
        Kwerty and FrozenNorseman like this.
      3. Kwerty
        Kwerty
        Give the player the option of skipping tutorials , especially if nothing is particularly unique about your battle sys. This goes double for replays on your title :)
        Nov 2, 2018
        Storyteller-Hero and GolfHacker like this.
    3. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      These plugins in the dlc folder - in the Kadokawa and RPGMaker Web plugins folders. Where's the manual?! I've managed to google some of them
      1. Hollow 1977 likes this.
      2. Dreadshadow
        Dreadshadow
        You should create a thread to ask for help, don't use status updates. Firstly because you have a better chance to be seen, secondly because status update are not meant for that. :)
        Nov 1, 2018
      3. Hollow 1977
        Hollow 1977
        Try checking the MV forums. Should be a link for help. As Dreadshadow already stated you can start a new thread and ask for help.
        Nov 2, 2018
    4. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I finally completed (for now) my personal Flip Book of purchased resources. Next, a separate Flip Book for resources from blogs and forums.
      1. Hollow 1977 and Kaeki like this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I'm using iBooks Author to drag/drop all the resource image files into a flip book, labeling them as I go and separating into chapters labeled with the source names. This way I can go through the images very quickly just by scrolling. There's a similar program for Windows if memory serves correctly.
        Nov 1, 2018
        Kaeki likes this.
      4. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        The act of making the flip book also helps me become familiarized with all of the images in my resource folders.
        Nov 1, 2018
        Kaeki likes this.
      5. Hollow 1977
        Hollow 1977
        LOL! I have so many I would need two books. Sometimes I don't even remember what's on my pc.
        Nov 2, 2018
    5. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      If it's just the first hour of gameplay, I might be able to make it for the IGMC 2018 deadline, but I won't know for a couple of weeks.
      1. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I'm still learning the engine itself. My one advantage might be that I have experience with fictional writing and art design for paid products so I mainly have to worry about the technical stuff.
        Oct 30, 2018
    6. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I found out that Yanfly made an Icon Generator app but it only works on Windows. Ah well.
      1. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I've found hundreds of edited icons among the English and Japanese communities, so it should be enough, at least for now.
        Oct 29, 2018
      2. MushroomCake28
        MushroomCake28
        if you have access to a windows pc I highly recommend using the Yanfly icon generator. It is absolutely fabulous.
        Oct 29, 2018
        Storyteller-Hero likes this.
      3. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I use a Mac only but now I'm tempted to Bootcamp just for the Icon Generator. :p
        Oct 29, 2018
        MushroomCake28 likes this.
    7. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I just finished collecting and organizing resources + permissions info from the Japanese blogs/forums. Tsukumate took the longest time.
      1. Zealraid likes this.
      2. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I might return to Tsukumate to check out their plugins and window skins but for now my total resources have grown by a titanic amount thanks to a relatively sizable MV community there.
        Oct 28, 2018
      3. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        Bookmarking and cataloguing the MV resources on the English forums now. I had some doubts in the beginning about how close I could come to making the cool games that I really want to make but with all the materials available there are so many possibilities. Story ideas are swirling around in my head with every useful building block I find.
        Oct 28, 2018
    8. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      Thanks to a quirk of the story that I've just realized for my RPG, I can go super wild with the dungeon level designs. I feel super excited.
      1. Marsigne likes this.
    9. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I just downloaded most of Yanfly's plugins, partly to make sure my workflow isn't interrupted by internet hiccup and partly for perspective.
      1. Marsigne likes this.
      2. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I can decide what I want to use later, but at the very least I don't have to worry about waiting if either yanfly.moe or dropbox are down.
        Oct 25, 2018
        Marsigne likes this.
      3. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I also got a good look at what Yanfly made possible, and it's given me a greater landscape for my ideas to bloom.
        Oct 25, 2018
        Marsigne likes this.
      4. Shaz
        Shaz
        I suggest you only add them to your project when you decide you need them. Better than trying to remember what you've used and taking out the rest later. And we recently had someone post asking for help with something that was not working properly, exactly because he'd added all of Yanfly's plugins, figuring he'd remove what he didn't need later.
        Oct 25, 2018
    10. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      Seeing as how websites can disappear or go down unexpectedly, I've decided to not procrastinate in looking up free resources on the internet
      1. View previous comments...
      2. Philosophus Vagus
        Philosophus Vagus
        That's right, horde all of the things! Then all you'll have to worry about when websites disappear is not knowing who the hell to credit, but you'll still have a graveyard full of resources you cannot safely use publicly.

PSA: Always rename resources in a way that tells you the creator, and don't forget to horde terms of use as well as the resources themselves.
        Oct 24, 2018
        Shaz and Marsigne like this.
      3. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I've been placing the artist name into each individual file name, and keeping a screenshot of the terms with the name from the thread.

There's so much here that I'll probably have to make a separate flip book when I organize it more, just to be careful in separating purchased resources from free resources.
        Oct 24, 2018
        Marsigne likes this.
      4. TheoAllen
        TheoAllen
        I feel personally attacked bcz I took down my blog months ago. It has a lot of embarrassing stuff that I couldn't stand to see it.
        Oct 24, 2018
    11. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I'm still compiling the flip book. I just finished with the enemies from the FES pack. A decent number of them can be used for both views.
      1. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I was particularly happy to see that there are Dragons in the pack that match the classical Western Dragon style that I want for my game, and they're side view friendly, more or less.
        Oct 23, 2018
    12. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I have to remind myself to form a LLC to release games under, if I'm going to pursue commercial sales of my RPG Maker games.
      1. Kupotepo
        Kupotepo
        I believe in you. You will, you will.
        Oct 21, 2018
    13. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      Brainstorming for my first RPG has got me practicing my Google-Fu on plugins and tutorials for things I'd never considered before.
      1. Finnuval likes this.
      2. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        Animated title screens for example - I can use my hard-earned video editing skills thanks to a plugin that loops a video clip.
        Oct 20, 2018
    14. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I've named the heroes of my planned fantasy RPG, and picked out what classes to make them. I'm figuring out their main objectives now.
      1. Finnuval likes this.
    15. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I'm taking my flip-book organizing of assets slow and steady. It's over 600 pages now, but I'm glad that I did this, to help me brainstorm.
      1. Finnuval likes this.
      2. Finnuval
        Finnuval
        Must be nice being organized. I always end up drowning in a sea o paper
        Oct 17, 2018
      3. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        Organizing resources can make the difference between spending 1 year on a project and 3 years. With an organized foundation, everything else can go much faster.
        Oct 17, 2018
        Finnuval likes this.
      4. Finnuval
        Finnuval
        True but then again it takes skill and A different personality from mine lol
        Oct 17, 2018
    16. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      Some of the Sci-Fi enemies that come with the MV RTP are surprisingly well-suited for populating a Fantasy RPG.
      1. The Stranger likes this.
    17. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I fleshed out a bit more of the setting that I'm writing for my first RPG on RM, and I've figured out who the last boss should be.
    18. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I found out that I can legally explore a new niche for RPG Maker games, but I don't know how well it'll sell. It could be swing and miss.
      1. View previous comments...
      2. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        It has to do with lore research for a niche market site. I don't want to get hopes up until I perform a test with a small prototype. I'll post results if it actually sells on there.
        Oct 2, 2018
        The Stranger likes this.
      3. Shaz
        Shaz
        legally explore? What would make something IL-legal to explore?
        Oct 3, 2018
      4. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        It has to do with a license on the market site itself.
        Oct 3, 2018
        Shaz likes this.
    19. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      The plugin community is amazing. The more I learn about what is available the more I'm excited about making a game.
      1. GoodSelf likes this.
      2. Sharm
        Sharm
        Be warned, it's very easy to get carried away and want to add all of them, and the more you have, the more likely something is to break. I haven't managed it, but I hear that it's better to figure out what you want to do and see if there's a plugin that would work instead of going looking and adding everything you think you need.
        Sep 29, 2018
      3. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        No worries. If designing stuff for Dungeons & Dragons has taught me anything, it's that more is not always better. :D
        Sep 29, 2018
        Sharm likes this.
      4. Poryg
        Poryg
        And if you were to know how to code yourself, you could have enhanced what's available too :p
        Sep 29, 2018
    20. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I just finished compiling the images in MV's RTP into a flip book, and it's now at 350 pages. Yikes. Convenient but yikes.
  • About

Birthday:
    Dec 29, 1982 (Age: 36)
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Interests:
    Anime