Storyteller-Hero
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• There will never be another Atari Shock tier games recession, because the world will always be depressing in some way and people will always need a new escape from reality, and access to escape will keep getting easier thanks to the spread of technology. Atari Shock came because accessibility was too limited for healthy growth of the industry, and now it's driving the growth of the industry faster and faster.
    The flopping of Babylon's Fall is a cautionary tale of release timing, quality control, and marketing. Games as a service is also harder to sell as a model nowadays due to grind fatigue. When a game becomes an unfulfilling day job, the game next door starts looking sexy.
    Theoretically, although it seems that even a good commercial RPG Maker game would be lucky if it sells up to 1,000 copies in the first year, the existence of a well-planned, budget-invested marketing campaign for such a game may turn that 1,000 into a likely minimum for sales for the first month.
    So apparently budget anime uses 24 FPS, but it's actually the same image per 3 frames, for about 8 images per second. With video editing and camera panning/zoom, the amount of work to animate can be cut down significantly.
    Reactions: Nenen
    Sullien
    Sullien
    Don't movies also use low fps? I think it has to do with consistency as I've heard high fps movies can cause dizziness when you're exposed for a long time.
    Erif
    Erif
    Would have been useful to know this before throwing out the Opening animation out of the window...
    Neat.
    WoW classic is an interesting experiment for game devs to look at since it is doomed to die by design, since it has no future by design. No expansions means it can't really progress. It's a stopgap measure for WoW players losing interest as a result of bad quality management and bad expansions. It eventually becomes "same old thing" and boring because it can't evolve much by design.
    Hadria
    Hadria
    It is literally impossible for a new player to experience the whole story, in fact as The Stranger said, is not in the game anymore. even if you do all the quests in the game, or do the time walking leveling thing you will miss the story because it's lost to the patches. A new player can't feel interested to the story because it has no attachment to any of the places or characters.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    At some point the number of expansions that can be added to WoW classic hit a limit as part of its fundamental design, and the limit comes sooner the closer they get to the point where the original started falling off. There's no room to grow past that limit unless either rebranding as parallel development or abandoning the original Wow.
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Yep. Like with their most recent expansion. It has so little in common with the original game that it might as well be its own thing.
    A lot of what I'm learning from research on marketing a videogame has to do with making the most out of a marketing budget, and the more you spend, the less it costs per customer acquired. The game still has to be good enough that they won't return it for refund though.
    I've been adding to a list of streamers and influencers almost daily little by little. By the time I start doing my game's marketing (probably in late 2022, early 2023), I'll probably have at least several hundred people on the list to send demos or copies to. By the time my game is published, maybe it'll be close to a thousand people. This is definitely one of those things best planned early.
    Reactions: Eusong and Nenen
    RCXGaming
    RCXGaming
    Smart idea. I've similarly been building my influence in other places doing stuff for the community and marking people I can possibly ask to spread the word of my games when they properly come out. Like ManlyBadassHero would be a good bet.
    Nenen
    Nenen
    This has got to be the thing I'd dread most about doing.
    Although who knows, maybe I'll end up liking it so much I decide to be part of some marketing team for somebody :p
    Eusong
    Eusong
    You should send me a copy of the list! lol
    Actually it might be a good idea to post it here somewhere if that's within the rules so others can see it too. All parties would benefit.
    Reactions: Nenen
    A [Vehicle] tab for RPG Maker that lets the user add more vehicles, like adding Actors, would be a major improvement to the engine, and open up a lot of possibilities for game making in RPG Maker. If they do this for MZ, it will definitely be a huge deal (this is just me thinking wishfully atm, hoping for it).
    GmOcean
    While it would be a nice QoL feature to have, it's not necessary. You can just have a Common Event on Parallel, listening to the world map and whenever you get ON/OFF a vehicle just Spawn/Despawn an Event using the same image as it's sprite.
    AeroPergold
    AeroPergold
    I think they should add a land vehicle.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    @GmOcean Not being necessary is not the same as not being a great thing to have. We already have everything we NEED in the engine to make games. Now is the time to get things like this to add flourish to to what we've got.
    If Sony wanted to make a power move versus Microsoft, Square Enix would be the crown jewel to buy, because Square Enix has so many amazing IPs, including manga/anime like Fullmetal Alchemist, which Sony could turn into movies/series. Sony would probably have to pay a lot more for Square Enix than Microsoft did for Activision Blizzard though.
    Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    Sony West would run every one of those IPs into the ground within a decade.
    Surgically removing people's faces and grafting them on to other people is kind of fun.

(editing character art busts for my game)
    alice_gristle
    alice_gristle
    After readin' this post, I went to Wikipedia to read about Face/Off, then I ended up reading about Dragonheart, then I got Gough's "Ahh, dragon slaying. Knighthood's highest calling..." as an ear-worm, and now I'm cryin' 'cuz of poor Sif. Brain, whyyy... :kaocry:
    Doing clean-up on tall-ified sprites, filling in pixel by pixel where the stretching warped the image, feels incredibly tedious but also highly rewarding when one zooms out and the sprite looks even better than before.
    I've figured out how to reasonably tall-ify chibi sprites on my editor. I like that making tall sprites gives me control on expressing how tall characters seem on the field relative to each other as well as better differentiate adult sprites from child sprites.
    People laughed at me when I said that Activision Blizzard would get bought up by another company if they didn't fire their execs. Now their value has dipped so much Microsoft is willing to buy the company, likely followed by some heavy terminations if they want to purify the current toxic image of Activision Blizzard.
    Arctica
    Arctica
    I think the real charm about this is the fact that Activision is gone.
    gstv87
    gstv87
    whoa whoa whoa.... hold on... are we celebrating the fact that MICROSOFT, the one most consumerism-oriented company after Apple, is buying *the company that's public notice lately because of their faulty business model and PR campaign* ?
    as we say here, "The beheaded laughs at the slaughtered."
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    @gstv87 To be fair, Microsoft isn't bogged down by the skeletons that Acti-Bliz built up so they can actually purge the Acti-Bliz leadership without mutual destruction reprisal from fired execs.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Remember to do even 0,01% progress on your game today! You can!
Watched a video of a kid in China leaning against a giant ceramic teletuby statue (valued at nearly $4000 apparently) in a toy store and everyone arguing whether it's the parents or the store's fault. I'm just sitting up wondering why anyone would make a giant ceramic toddler toy in the first place other than to deliberately cause exactly that from happening in the first place though.
Plans for vacation? Maybe I'll go visit
Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RealVirg