Storyteller-Hero
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• I replaced all of the default actors in my test project with actors using Vibrato battler graphics. I made custom sheets for the generics.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    I can see why I don't see them used in a huge number of projects, as it takes a bit of extra work to get them just right, and though other people might have made custom sheets, I'd rather have my own arrangements to work with in case I want to customize them further.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    In the final build of my game, there will be two battler sheets per actor among the generics I'm using from Vibrato's site, since he made so many different graphics for each generic battler. I'm going to alternate the sheets during action sequences for skills. When I build the skills, it's going to be a lot of fun having extra options for the graphics used.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Apparently there's an event command for "Change Actor Images" and it can change even the SV-battler sheet used. This opens up possibilities.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    If I have an alternate battler sheet for each actor, that increases the number of graphics I can choose from when creating action sequences for skills. I'm so glad I learned about this before I started making the more complicated skills that will be in my game.
    I figured out the beginning chapter and overall plot of the smaller game I decided to make, which is looking to be a mid-sized RPG.
    Today I used game character hub for the first time since I've gotten it to customize character sprites and started trying custom battlers.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    I also learned that an art program that I have has default anti-aliasing, which can blur out sprites if not turned off.
    There are so many assets from forums and blogs. Organizing them will take a large chunk of my allotted time this month, but it's worth it.
    After populating my prototype scale test map for the skill grid a bit, I think I'm going to raise the size from 131 to the max.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    Spacing between the nodes as well as for chamber areas eats up a lot of the map and I need space for decorations and whatnot as well, so I'll probably still be well under the max events per map.

I think that I'm also going to limit myself to 5 maps per actor on this for the smaller game and maybe raise it for the larger game. Or maybe I'll stick with a single map per actor.
    Started building a prototype map for the skill grid. If there wasn't a 999 event limit per map and possible lag, I'd put it all on one map.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    I've tested the mechanics for grid so that's fine. This prototype (131 x 131 test size) will give me an idea of the scale I need, whether to shrink it or enlarge it. I may be making like 9 maps per actor because I want to add some other things like treasure chests and art pieces and puzzle areas to make skill learning into a full-blown mini-game.
    I couldn't stop thinking about making a grid similar to FFX for skill learning so I did it. It works. Great Caesar's Ghost, it works!
    With conditional branches, switches, and Yanfly's JP/Skill Learn plugins, I think I can create a grid system similar to FFX's sphere grid.
    Reactions: FleshToDust
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    Yanfly' Main Menu Actor Events is also needed to do this from menu. If I can make this work, I think that I'll use it instead of changing classes.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    Holy guacamole this might actually work. I've got to test this when I've got time.
    FleshToDust
    FleshToDust
    Nice. Grids are fun. I thought about eventing a skill tree once.
    Hmm side quests that offer XP rewards for those who don't enjoy battle-farming but do enjoy side stories...
    Seacliff
    Seacliff
    Far from a new idea, actually, but it works really well for games with larger parties and no reserve-character exp.
    PixelHeart
    PixelHeart
    I think all rpg games should do that sort of thing anyway. :3
    I just learned about Labels and how they can be used to go back to previous choices - this is going to be so useful for my in-game tutorial.
    In the United States, the difference in protection between registered and unregistered copyright is terrifying thanks to big business lobby.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    Apparently with a registered mark, one can sue and get an extra amount of damages (statutory) that does not require evidence of how much they lost from a pirate/thief. This could potentially be much, much larger than they would be compensated as an unregistered plaintiff.
    MechScapeZH
    MechScapeZH
    Ai yai yai. And it costs so much to register...
    I decided to forgo a system of [set primary class + changeable sub classes] and just go with [changeable primary class] for my first game(s)
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    For the second series of games that I'm planning (for a different setting) however, I'll probably go wild with class and subclass due to the nature of the story. I probably won't even get to that for a couple of years though.
    zerobeat032
    zerobeat032
    I'm debating on this myself, as to whether I want to do all these subclasses or not, with a set primary.
    I changed my test project's windowskin today, fiddling with the opacity as well, and moved the battle order turn bar from the top to bottom
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    I turned on window masking in Olivia's Octobattle plugin as the new windowskin is rather translucent and words became hard to read when choice windows overlapped.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    The order turn display might be better at the bottom since the bar for displaying action names is already at the top, and it looks cluttered having both of them at the top. The order turn bar could also look awkward when overlapped over certain enemy graphics in the future.
    In a story-driven game with lots of dialogue (not necessarily in every scene), the message interface matters a lot since it's used so much.
    Reactions: The Stranger
    NoahB
    NoahB
    Yes, a message log and skip/fast forward option is a must!
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    I'm hoping that my use of Galv's Choice Pictures and Irina's Visual Novel Busts along with some animation plugins will be well-received by those who play my game when it's ready.

The window frame for messages is going to be a tough choice since I'm probably not sticking with default.
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Presentation is very important. I also think that animation is important. Seeing nothing but text might be okay for some people, but others might enjoy seeing characters move around, or other things happening on the screen. I think we forget that games are a visual medium, and that we can convey things through images and actions rather than just plain text.
    After lots of trial and error, I managed to get the party to enter/exit airship while flying over non-landing terrain without crashing. :D
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    This opens up a potentially important location for my storytelling - the inside of the airship while in flight. Final Fantasy games have explored this in interesting ways so I'm super happy right now as a writer.
    I changed the default font in my MV test project and wow it really changes the personality of the text shown on screen.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    I changed it to CrimsonText-Regular for now - I might change it again later, but I think it's at least more aesthetically pleasing than the default.
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Yeah, it's one of those subtle things that can really influence your game in a pretty big way. It's kinda like the use of SFXes. A player might not notice well placed sound effects, but they will notice if they're bad or absent entirely.
    KazukiT
    KazukiT
    When I found out how to change the default font it was like having epiphany of sorts. Now I do for all my projects to match the style of the game.
    I realized that I could probably make a smaller, off-shoot game using the work that I'm already doing for my big game. Maybe a prequel...
    Reactions: The Stranger
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    A small prequel in the same setting, with location mapping, lore, and mechanics that will be expanded upon and featured in the big game. The stories won't be connected directly, but I could have the hidden character in the big game be the main character of the prequel...
    What if I make a building or town with normal tiles, then shrink it down to place on a world map? Hmm...
    Reactions: dreamfall887
    Windows i7
    Windows i7
    That could work depending on how well the image editing software scales stuff down. Gimp and Kirita seem to work well for that.
    Starbird_Resources
    Starbird_Resources
    it definitely works. i've used that technique for expanding world map options (and for getting the world map to actually correspond with the "normal" maps)
    Yanfly's Class Change Core apparently has a setting where some classes are unlocked by default. I was wondering why unused classes stayed...
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    I went to the Plugin's help/settings window and deleted the default class ID numbers in the setting entry. I then used the plugin's Actor Notetags to individually unlock classes for my characters, who are using different classes and subclasses in the game.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally the new pc is working!! But it seems a lost my license to Windows 10 because of the hardware changing :(
Tune in next time for our newest Episode: "PC issues return! Palm uses every swear in the lexicon!"
gotta update my game project thread page later
So trying out Ultra Mode 7 was a bad idea. How do I not include this in my game? XD
Stumbled upon an RPG Maker game on Steam called 'Boobs vs Zombies' while looking for a zombie themed fantasy RTS. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HimitsuYuki