Storyteller-Hero
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• I've started playing Skyborn to see how well a popular RPG Maker game was made. So far, not bad.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    I got it as a gift from a Humble Bundle. It's a decent sample of what RPG Maker can be used for. Not the best I've played but decent overall so far (though I haven't played enough to determine if the game is currently worth its full price if I'd bought it myself). It's also a good case study for what the publisher Degica Games finds acceptable for project submissions.
    bgillisp
    bgillisp
    I thought the story decent but the battle system awful. Late game it was they KO my tank, I revive them, rinse lather repeat.
    Knighteriius
    Knighteriius
    I've been picking out various tracks for my game based on how well they fit themes and whether they might become annoying if looped.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    Sometimes a tracks sounds great at first but then the music adds a sound that seems cool for the first listen, but is too grating or uncomfortable to hear if used repeatedly in the background.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    --track-- I should probably take a break...
    kirbwarrior
    kirbwarrior
    I find it best to use them as background music while developing. If it starts to great on you, then it's not grate for the game.
    There are rules of storytelling for good reason: many writers screwed up along the way and developed the rules to screw up less than before.
    Benny Jackdaw
    Benny Jackdaw
    I am constantly second-guessing myself as a writer. That is why I am treating my current writings as a rough draft so I can iron out what doesn't work through feedback.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    If you study not just what the rules of storytelling are but also why they exist, you will have the wisdom of the greatest writers in your hands and the confidence that your final draft will never fall below a certain level (maybe not great but never bad). Knowing also helps prevent writer's block since you'll have a more solid foundation to write from.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    For example, the basic rule that conflict (not to be confused with physical violence) is what makes a story interesting - the reader is far more likely to be hooked if you have a good conflict as the basis of your story, because they'll have a legitimate reason to be curious - to see whether change or resistance to change wins out.
    I'm organizing the music and sound effect files that I collected for MV. It's too bad my old computer wasn't cloud sync'd - starting over...
    There have been so many great plugins released by Yanfly, Olivia, and Irina since I started planning my first game. It's really freeing.
    Reactions: Elliott404
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    The more options get put on the table, the more ways to express as an artist. The more ways to tell a story.
    Elliott404
    Elliott404
    This is the blessing in starting at your own pace. You get to witness masterpieces.
    It's going to be a couple of weeks until the new computer. I'm not so sure I can do the birthday event but I'll be wishing luck to y'all.
    I didn't get picked in the jury selection today. I'm free omg I'm free. Getting back to working in RPG Maker soon.
    bgillisp
    bgillisp
    I was selected once, but got eliminated after the interviews.
    hiddenone
    hiddenone
    The selection process when I did it was someone saying "if you can think of an excuse, sit over there to be questioned"... I didn't think "I just don't want to be here" would've been a good enough excuse, luckily it was a pretty short trial.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    The particular trial I could have been picked for would have lasted into next month. I can't divulge details, but getting picked would have drastically delayed a lot of plans. Three days of jury selection was already rough - several weeks of actual trial would have been torture for me as someone who does creative writing as an income source.
    I just bought an amazing plugin from Atelier Irina. I feel excited for when I have a new computer and I can put this plugin to use.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    Elliott404
    Elliott404
    Got it. I was about to consider into buying GENE, but then, this bad girl appeared before my eyes.
    dragoonwys
    dragoonwys
    It's amazing, I highly recommend it! ^.^ Funny about GENE, I bought that first just because I am using a ton of busts as well. But the instant I saw this fabulous beast, I snagged it up LOL
    I use GENE for other image things (picture menus and such) since the instant drag and drop picture positions is quite useful anyway.
    I'll have a new computer this month if everything goes well. I might participate in the RPG Maker birthday event with a demo.
    A few more weeks before I'm back to having a computer that works properly. In the meanwhile, I received a summons for jury duty. Boohaha.
    OmnislashXX
    OmnislashXX
    Yeah. I had a summons recently. Had to tell them flat out I couldn't make it on account that I was recovering from stroke symptoms.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    The last time I was called, I was a student, so I was able to get exempt, but I'd graduated since then so that's a no go for getting out of it. Ah well.
    I'm thinking about scrapping half of the original concept for my first RPG Maker game to take full advantage of an amazing stock resource.
    Registering copyright with the U.S. government is apparently much better than just relying on regular free protection.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    Being able to claim statutory damages and attorney's fees is a big deal for deterring people from stealing your game and trying to sell it as if it were their own.
    When I have a reliable home computer again, the first thing I'll do is make a new flip book for the internet resources I've found. So many.
    I've decided to nix a concept that I was going to apply on my first game, to make the story more cohesive and raise the stakes of conflict.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    I was going to make it several different stories to choose from at the beginning, but I can do more with this particular game's premise if I condense the different stories into one.
    punchybot
    punchybot
    Hmm... So what's your planning process?
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    Form concept --> Make setting --> determine source of conflict --> determine characters --> determine character objectives --> brainstorm possible interactions between characters --> determine endgame --> explore mechanical limitations and possibilities --> revise and repeat as necessary any of the previous steps while trying to refine the expression of the game's concept
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

stock analyst lady
Well, since I'm in lockdown, I guess it's finally time to get serious into rpgmaking... almost 20 years later.
Forbidden - You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FIL