StrawberrySmiles
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Awarded medals About

• You know how in a game like Zelda you can pretty much figure out how much hearts a certain enemy will take off of you or how many slashes it takes for Link to kill them?

Like, what would you call a system like that? I don't want to say "predictable combat" because it sounds insulting. I feel like there's a word or two I could use.
    Alexander Amnell
    Alexander Amnell
       Hearts life gauge system? It's really not all that different from a standard lifebar if you break it down, four hits from the weakest enemy equals one heart, you can have between 3 and 20ish hearts for a total of 12 to 80 hit-points with enemies being able to deal between 1 or 1/4 hearts (green knife soldier) and 20 or 5 hearts (fricken lightning bats) in damage.

I would say the ease at determining how much damage link takes is due to the low numbers calculated more than anything else. It's much easier to see at a glance that 1 heart out of 20 is 5% of your health than say...856 damage to an hp pool of 17120. At the end of the day it's all simple mathematics, but by keeping the numbers small along with the visual cues of the hearts bar LOZ does a decent job of providing players with math that's simple enough and obscured enough that they might not actually realize they're doing it.
    taarna23
    taarna23
    Actually, some stuff (bats and snakes in LTTP) deal 1/8th of a heart in damage. There's just no way to display that. As you point out, it's not much different than a standard life bar, so I'm not sure your suggested name quite fits.
    StrawberrySmiles
    StrawberrySmiles
    It's not just about hearts, either. It's REALLY hard to explain, lol.

But I like the name @taarna23 gave. Thanks!!
    Several novels I attempted in the past 2 or 3 years, lols. Who wants to read? J/K They suck. Don't read. ;_;
    Screenshot_2016_05_13_17_19_30.png
    Reactions: 2 people
    AwesomeCool
    AwesomeCool
    @ALTERED STATE ? - You should use your effort on the second one.  It is a good story with a theme on how humans will attempt to do what they know is impossible.

On that note: I really like the part where it described humans as beings of darkness who only reach for the light due to ones inward desire to posses what they do not have.

..only to have that light being extinguished when the main antagonist gets his hands on it.  The symbolism between this act and someone plucking (read: killing) a flower out of "love and respect" for nature is enough to make even Edgar Allan Poe jelly.

Now everyone is going to squint themselves blind! MUHAHA

Also, staire
    AwesomeCool
    AwesomeCool
    @Dalph™ - You cannot judge ones work by the title alone.

You need to read, think, analyze and live on the story to be worthy enough to judge anothers work.

So squint on brother, squint on.
    StrawberrySmiles
    StrawberrySmiles
    Lols.

The magical girl one was to be a magical girl-like story.

They're all fantasy-ish, so there's that. XD
    The only reason I haven't been *totally* working on my personal project to test MV is because I can't have a tactical battle system yet. Stupid, right? Why am I letting that stop me? ><
    Knightmare
    Knightmare
    Well you could always start another project in the mean time.  I'm really wanting one myself but I have another good project going and the TRPG will just have to wait. 
    I have no idea why I'm saving everyone's resources when I'm making my own graphics.

I is weird.
    taarna23
    taarna23
    Probably along the same lines as my gemstone shopping... "OH that's shiny must have!"
    Sharm
    Sharm
    I do the same thing.  I like to use them to inspire me or remind me of the things that I should make and haven't yet, but mostly I just do it because I like pretty things.  Some of them are so pretty that I want to make something with them, but it'll probably never happen.
    taarna23
    taarna23
    @Sharm I hope that never ever happens with my jewelry... It would be a crying shame for that lovely piece of malachite with its curvy lines to just be collecting dust...
    Anyone know of a good place to find the latest news on video games? You know, like release dates, DLC, trailers, info, etc. I feel like individually searching for games leaves me missing other games I had forgotten about. XD
    Vox Novus
    Vox Novus
    There are plenty of gaming sites; Gamespot, Gameinformer, Gametrailers, IGN or were you looking for something more specific?
    StrawberrySmiles
    StrawberrySmiles
    I don't really want one that covers ALL entertainment.

Gamespot & IGN looks like they cover movies and TV as well. Meh.
    Vox Novus
    Vox Novus
    Gameinformer is my favorite of the bunch.
    I think sometimes I like characters because they're cute. And sadly, I always "resonate" with the indecisive, weak-willed, shy healer types because that's me. o.o
    StrawberrySmiles
    StrawberrySmiles
    I actually enjoy being the shy healer - it's my favorite archtype. XD

What I'm tired of is slutty looking female mages either being sexy lady or evil. What if the "shy, weak" healer looked a little slooty? :D
    Nirwanda
    Nirwanda
    I'm glad for you in that case, it's awesome you enjoy being yourself.

Hahaha slutty white mage? You haven't watched much hentai have you? :p

But seriously, there's Aeris, she wasn't dressed the part but she was a flirt with street smarts that led Cloud around on a string. At least that's how I saw her.

Why don't you make a game about your ideal healer? It'll be pretty cool to see, I bet.(unless you already are doing it and I jut didn't notice, sorry in that case :p )
    StrawberrySmiles
    StrawberrySmiles
    I haven't started yet. XD

My main character is...

Wait, there *is* a major supporting character who is a very promiscuous healer with angel/feathery wings. Har har har.
    I wonder how often I should send a tick to RPG Maker Web so I can get that updated Time Fantasy pack I won in the forum store. ;_;
    Prolly weird, but I kinda want to learn how to created pre-rendered 2D top-down sprites/tiles from 3D models. Kind of like @Jesse - PVGames but with a totally different style. :3
    Vox Novus
    Vox Novus
    nothing weird about wanting to learn to do something new.
    I wonder if anyone has saved all the community's generator parts and put them in one game yet successfully? XD I've tried and the re-naming and keeping track of it all became too much. D:
    Susan
    Susan
    Not to mention keeping track of who to credit according to what you actually use in-game, unless you intend to mass-credit everyone regardless of usage. XD

The sheer amount of NPCs created in order to fully utilize every last generator part..... ;)
    I lost a whole RPG Maker VX/Ace game somehow while using it to replace another in Dropbox and all the tilesets & related things are now gone. And my Excoriation disorder is taking up too much of my time. And I'm hungry and sad, and tired. I want to lay down and cry for ruining my team's game and being such a mess.
    hiddenone
    hiddenone
    That really sounds awful.  Grab something to eat, have a cry and take a nap, and then try to figure out your next step once you've calmed down.  I bet your team will understand that accidents happen.  :)
    Shaz
    Shaz
    Doesn't dropbox keep a history?  Or maybe your other team members have a recent copy of the game?
    StrawberrySmiles
    StrawberrySmiles
    Only 2 of us have good computers and the files came from my desktop into Dropbox. I just have to re-do my part of the work again, but somehow... I ended up losing the Pixel Myth tiles in general - including the Members+ items with it. I had a back of those and they disappeared. I'm so dumb.
    I wish I had a way to work on my story with only my phone, in the dark, in a car. (Waitung on BF to finish work stuff)
    Chaos Avian
    Chaos Avian
    Try using Evernote, it's a great app! You can even sync it to a desktop version~
    StrawberrySmiles
    StrawberrySmiles
    My phone can't download it cause the versions aren't compatible. :(
    Hmmmm, search seems to not be working. I searched for tiles in the VX/ACE section of resources, and nothing came up. :(
    Nathanial
    Nathanial
    As said, some things are still processing by the system and will take some time. 
    So... I'm going to try and finish *something* this year. Who's with me!?
    Mimironi
    Mimironi
    *half raised hand* I meaaan, i'd love to but i feel like i cant. I have a ton of 'basic' ideas but cant expand them enough to create a full story QvQ
    That Bread
    That Bread
    YESS I AM GOING TO DO IT!!!!
    For some reason I hate that I don't ever know what my favorite anything is. Favorite books, games, movies, etc. If I liked it, even a little bit, then it must my favorite (according to my current view). o.o
    Sausage_Boi
    Sausage_Boi
    I am the same way. I don't play favorites. I either like it or I don't. And if I do, it goes right beside all my other favorite things!
    djDarkX
    djDarkX
    I know the feeling, but I favor some things way more than others, so I guess they would be my favorites, but even then, it's REALLY difficult to choose just one and my favorites can change at any time. lol
    Each time I start digitally coloring my artwork, or doing pixel work from scratch, I feel overwhelmed and quick. I have more fun doing things traditionally. But I'm too broke for proper tools and I can't put traditional art in games. XD
    Sharm
    Sharm
    Sorry, I should have said that Celi doesn't usually use a tablet. I know she has one and sometimes uses it, but most of her art really is made with a mouse.
    StrawberrySmiles
    StrawberrySmiles
    Anyone know good places for mouse art tutorials, then? Or maybe using Crayola colored pencils. I never find anything. ><
    Sharm
    Sharm
    I find watching Celi's streams useful. You could watch some of her older ones and learn a lot. Oh, that reminds me, Tyler Warren's battlers are all hand drawn and colored too. I think he uses colored pencils.
    AwesomeCool
    AwesomeCool
    If only marketing mattered much less in the eyes of what consumers would try. Nobody even knew of Planescape Torment for years after release and now it is considered one of the greatest games by many.
    taarna23
    taarna23
    Well, it's not a matter of what the consumers will try. Marketing is what makes them aware it exists. People can't always be relied upon for word-of-mouth, and even if they can be, there's no guarantee it will go beyond a small group.
    Cadh20000
    Cadh20000
    Exactly as taarna23 said, can't play what you never knew existed after all.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Exploding Fruits and Rasaks Pixelfarm Assets | RPG Maker News #108

So ghosts can go through walls and stuff, and depending their type (according to fantasy media) they can or can't interact with objects to a certain degree...

So why they don't always fall through floors? Do they always float and sometimes simulate walking? If things go through them how can they hear/see? And why sometimes they have clothing? Do clothes die as well?
my birthday was yesterday...
i feel closer 2 being able 2 get a discount on the kids menu than i do being able to buy booze1627428008986.png
Getting to play your RM game on Steam Deck? How cool is that?
The best among us don't set out to be heroes. They don't want that job. They just set out to do the things nobody else wants to do. Because... someone has to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Switchboy0815