taarna23

Awarded Medals 1

Share This Page

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess, Female, from Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Global Mod

For a good halloween, I recommend staying away from bear spray, shotguns and police. >.> Nov 1, 2018

1. taarna23
      taarna23
      Almost there, guys. Almost there! The tileset builder progress will continue properly in the next week or so, because all of the XP, Ace and MV tiles will be present in the database! Currently working through 41/50 of the XP ones. The MV ones will zip by pretty quickly as many of them have a consistent size and shape, so I can just copy, paste, modify.

It's going to feel good to do real development again, and not just database queries.
      1. 4 people like this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. Marquise*
        Marquise*
        Hey thank you :D   BTW... does that mean the games now will weight gigs?  I mean it takes space a lot now on MV!
        Nov 29, 2016
      4. taarna23
        taarna23
        Nah. The database contains no graphics or anything - that would violate the EULA of the various Makers. Instead it contains metadata - data about data. Specifically, I've put information like the tileset name, what type it is (A1, A2, etc.), what width and height the tileset is, the X and Y coordinates of an individual tile or tileset part, and the width and height of that part. When it makes a list if images to choose from to add to your tileset, it's taking information from the Maker folders you set up in the options and doing all the rest automatically.

The database is currently 404kb. Pretty tiny. The rest of the application will likely be bigger, haha.
        Nov 29, 2016
      5. Marquise*
        Marquise*
        Cool!  TYVM  :D
        Nov 29, 2016
    2. taarna23
      taarna23
      Well, I have 15 different types of dungeons I want to have in my dungeon runner.I may not be able to have them all, but given that it's more than I actually need, I think it's a good starting place. I'm now sorting the monsters I want to use into each of these dungeons.
      1. 2 people like this.
      3. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        Oh yeah, I like to know what sprites I'll need and all that ahead of time that way I know what I need to look for, what to edit and if anything matches existing stuff I have.
        Nov 24, 2016
      4. bgillisp
        bgillisp
        I actually had my spriter make a generic monster sprite that I could use as a placeholder i the beginning so that I didn't need all my sprites for the monsters initially, but also didn't use the ghost everyone else uses.
        Nov 24, 2016
      5. taarna23
        taarna23
        I could use a placeholder, but I don't really need to. If I do use one, I'll just use a random one from that section's monsters. I actually currently have more sprites than I need and it's more a case of finding purpose for the sprites than having something that needs one. Working with what you have on hand has its perks!
        Nov 24, 2016
    3. taarna23
      taarna23
      Today I think I'm going to do some game work. Maybe not a lot, but some!
      1. 2 people like this.
      2. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        Hey, have fun! Got a lot left to do?
        Nov 24, 2016
      3. taarna23
        taarna23
        Oh heck yeah. The bulk that's done (and loosely tested) is the plugins I made for it. So much to do, but I found new stuff I want to use, so I need to do some more planning to see what of it I need.
        Nov 24, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      4. Marquise*
        Marquise*
        Have fun  ^^
        Nov 24, 2016
    4. nio kasgami
      nio kasgami
      you becomed a moderator xD?
      1. taarna23
        taarna23
        A while ago now! Don't ask me why; perhaps they wanted an ornery Canuck in their moderator staff.
        Nov 23, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    5. taarna23
      taarna23
      RMXP's Shop tileset has 157 different objects, all of which need their own set of information for the tileset builder.

This kind of thing is why I am no longer sane.
      1. 1 person likes this.
      3. Marquise*
        Marquise*
        I'm sure you will figure it out @taarna23, just... give yourself frequent breaks!
        Nov 23, 2016
      4. taarna23
        taarna23
        It's generally only a few tiles, and probably really only duplicated so that how the tiles go together is easily visible, but an immediate example is 037-Fort01. It has some corner tiles that are very nearly identical except for how pronounced some lines between stone are... and grey roof tile appears at least twice.

To be perfectly fair, anyone that has looked at a 100% optimized tileset knows that it is very nearly not at all human "readable."
        Nov 23, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      5. Marquise*
        Marquise*
        Awwwwww
        Nov 24, 2016
    6. taarna23
      taarna23
      Sigh. I don't WANT to stay focused. I want to get my game worked on again. But I should see the tileset builder through to base release again first.
      1. View previous comments...
      2. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        Jewelry-set builder could be your next project, lol.  :mrsatan:
        Nov 21, 2016
      3. taarna23
        taarna23
        You have NO IDEA how much I want to! Seriously! The nature of how I make my pieces would make this actually possible, with a caveat, of course, that pieces that are physically impossible because people are being silly will be denied. =P

But, I have no idea how I would go about it, honestly.
        Nov 21, 2016
        2 people like this.
      4. Marquise*
        Marquise*
        We can feel it Taarna23... We can feel it!
        Nov 21, 2016
    7. nio kasgami
      nio kasgami
      *just discover that you can actually mix Sprite  Easing in programming*

this......just incredible O3O
      1. taarna23
        taarna23
        Ooooo. What were you doing?
        Nov 20, 2016
      2. nio kasgami
        nio kasgami
        was testing Robert Penner Easing Equation and I didn't know you can actually mix them together.

for now I'm working on a better Picture displaying a little likes Galenmereth ones haha
        Nov 20, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      3. taarna23
        taarna23
        Sweet! Good job!
        Nov 20, 2016
    8. taarna23
      taarna23
      Debating formatting some free resources I found into RM-friendly format. They're CC0, so I'd be within my rights to do so...
      1. 2 people like this.
      3. taarna23
        taarna23
        Ones from kenney.nl. I have to admit, if I created resources, I wouldn't be brave enough to release them under the CC0 license.

Only shame about putting together a nice pack of these... No matching monsters and only 2-frame characters, at best.
        Nov 19, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      4. Sharm
        Sharm
        Yeah, me neither.  I want to at least be credited and I certainly don't want people to claim them or even sell them as if they were their own.  I won't go any more permissive than CC-By.  Kenney's pretty cool.  I don't think he necessarily sees himself as an artists, that may be part of it.  He pretty much just learned how to do artwork so his games could have art and found a knack for it and decided to share it with his fellow struggling programmers.  It's all simple stuff so it works up fast, but he's got a really good style and an eye for what looks good in a simple style.  I like to use them as reference sometimes to figure out what a programmer or level designer would want out of each type of tileset.  I'm not a programmer, so I don't even think of some of the things a person using my tiles would think necessary.

He seems to be pretty good about listening to his fans, if you make a request for monsters you may just get your wish.
        Nov 19, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      5. taarna23
        taarna23
        Maybe. I liked the stuff enough that I bought it. He deserves that, at least.

Now if only life didn't immediately after turn into such a jumble that I forgot what it was in all of it that I wanted to use, and what for.

Oh, well. Awesome part of converting this stuff for RM use is I could include it with the tileset builder afterward.
        Nov 19, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    9. taarna23
      taarna23
      Well, time to listen to the nostalgia-fest that is the Shadowgate soundtrack, and work on the tileset builder. I suppose I ought to scare up some testers later when this thing is working.

...currently it's just boring database queries. :|
      1. 1 person likes this.
      2. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        Have fun! Scare up some testers? You'll have people lined up I'm sure.
        Nov 19, 2016
    10. taarna23
      taarna23
      Picked up some cleaning solution for silver today. Works like a miracle! ...but smells like a mix of Oxi-Clean and cat pee.
      1. 2 people like this.
      3. Marquise*
        Marquise*
        Yeah... Javel... Bleach... forgot how you putted it!  Sorry!
        Nov 19, 2016
      4. taarna23
        taarna23
        That's okay! The stuff is still awful and there are so many alternate choices these days. No bleach for me!
        Nov 19, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      5. Marquise*
        Marquise*
        I think vinegar and little cow.  But sometimes no choices with some vermins... :S
        Nov 19, 2016
    11. taarna23
      taarna23
      For those that still need it - MV is on sale in the Humble Store's birthday sale - 50% off!
      1. 4 people like this.
      2. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        That's a good deal!
        Nov 14, 2016
    12. taarna23
      taarna23
      Want to work on my game (squeeeee new graphics to add) but need to push through the rest of the tileset builder. Hrngggg.

Update: Still adding XP tiles to the database. So. Boring.
    13. taarna23
      taarna23
      Oooh! I just love finding stuff that will go perfectly in my game. Too bad there's so much else going on. 
      1. 1 person likes this.
    14. taarna23
      taarna23
      When first stage of moving is complete, I am going to dig into tileset builder dev... I'm looking forward to real progress, not "adding tile piece coordinates to a database" progress.
    15. taarna23
      taarna23
      Oh. My. Gosh. Noodlecake is hiring. This is going to require more than a spit-polish of the old resume.
      1. Hudell
        Hudell
        Good luck!
        Nov 5, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    16. taarna23
      taarna23
      Sometimes when you can't sleep, you just gotta late-night code.
      1. 3 people like this.
      3. AwesomeCool
        AwesomeCool
        I carry flyswatters everywhere just in case of a random victim needing a hero to save them.

Distressed Hot Damsel: "Oh no!  My computer just crashed 30 minutes before my meeting.  I am doomed to unemployment. SOMEBODY SAVE ME!?

Me: "I can save you and your files!"

Flirtatious Hot Damsel: "My hero. (swoon) Do you have the ring yet?"

Me: "Payday is Friday, let's wait til then.

...and they lived happily ever after for 3 years before divorce court.
        Oct 27, 2016
      4. Lantiz
        Lantiz
        Sometimes when you can sleep, you just gotta late-night code... also.
        Oct 28, 2016
        2 people like this.
      5. taarna23
        taarna23
        @AwesomeCool I am genuinely curious what colour the sky is in your world, on a sunny day.

@Lantiz That too! Haha
        Oct 28, 2016
    17. taarna23
      taarna23
      Gosh, I love the music from the game Journey. I just wish I could play the game!
      1. 3 people like this.
      3. taarna23
        taarna23
        Well, if you've ever seen it played through, that's exactly it. It's a commentary on life; be about the journey, and not the destination.

I saw the translation of the lyrics for the song in the credits once, and given the end of the game, it's just haunting, really. "Do not weep for me; I was born for this." Plus throughout the song, there's at least 4 languages used, and I can definitely identify French and Japanese among them.
        Oct 27, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      4. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        You are just making me want to play it more, lol. Might have to check out a LP but that seems the wrong way to experience it.
        Oct 27, 2016
      5. taarna23
        taarna23
        It kind of is. I mean, I did that for my mom - she would never have played it even with access to it, but enjoyed a quick watch of it. However, I don't have the money to spend on a PS3/PS4 just to play one game. There's really only a couple more beyond it that I'd play, and I don't see the point of getting an expensive console for a couple games.
        Oct 27, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    18. taarna23
      taarna23
      One foot in front of the other. Keep cleaning, keep packing and keep throwing resumes at jobs until one sticks.
      1. 3 people like this.
    19. taarna23
      taarna23
      More tileset builder programming, until I scare up the energy to go clean/pack more.
    20. taarna23
      taarna23
      And as I wave my hands in the air at getting a line of code to work properly, the cats look at me like I'm crazy.
      1. 4 people like this.
      3. BoredSoul
        BoredSoul
        Alright....

As a less crazier person,I am offended my good ma'm.

**end my life**
        Oct 25, 2016
      4. BoredSoul
        BoredSoul
        Also,did I mention I have arachnophobia? 
        Oct 25, 2016
      5. taarna23
        taarna23
        Don't worry - there's no actual spiders involved. Just a fancy-dressed Captain Janeway in greyscale.
        Oct 25, 2016
  • About

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Meow. :3

Current interests: Making games, making jewelry, playing games, getting my student loan paid off, finding a dang job so I actually can pay off my student loans.

Interact

Signature