taarna23

Awarded Medals 1

Share This Page

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess, Female, from Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Global Mod

For a good halloween, I recommend staying away from bear spray, shotguns and police. >.> Nov 1, 2018

1. taarna23
      taarna23
      Is there something about me that screams "Degica Employee?" For not the first time, I've been contacted about answering a purchase-related question. Yes, I pointed them in the right direction.

...it's just odd.
      1. 2 people like this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. BoredSoul
        BoredSoul
        JOIN THE DEGICA SIDE!

They have cookies :) !
        Sep 26, 2016
      4. Zeriab
        Zeriab
        And also pocket money.

Do not forget the pocket money to buy even more cookies
        Sep 26, 2016
      5. Ghost of Christmas Kloe
        Ghost of Christmas Kloe
        The irony that Taarna is now a moderator makes all these posts funny....
        Sep 27, 2016
        4 people like this.
    2. taarna23
      taarna23
      Yikes. MV tilesets make the window for my tileset builder a LOT bigger... 1157 x 929 appears to be the smallest I can really get it. I might be able to make it narrower, but... I don't really want to complicate the tile placement area with scrollbars.
      1. 1 person likes this.
    3. taarna23
      taarna23
      Even my chicken soup stock has artificial flavour?? Come on... I'm trying to avoid this stuff. It's everywhere!
      1. View previous comments...
      2. taarna23
        taarna23
        I know... but I WAS making food for myself... It was friggin' soup stock, for crying out loud. Having a sick day and just wanted some nice egg drop soup.

Also, I don't live in the US, so... I dunno, lol.
        Sep 23, 2016
      3. UNphiltered_khaos
        UNphiltered_khaos
        :o Now I am very sad...
        Sep 23, 2016
      4. taarna23
        taarna23
        Me too... the other option at the store was all flavouring - this at least had chicken fat in the chicken stock like one would expect...

I think this weekend I will be raiding the bulk food store.
        Sep 23, 2016
    4. taarna23
      taarna23
      Ughhh, my poor tummy. I guess it's Adobe After Effects training day today.
      1. 3 people like this.
      3. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        Sep 22, 2016
      4. BoredSoul
        BoredSoul
        I can do that?YUS!
        Sep 22, 2016
      5. BoredSoul
        BoredSoul
        You are now thinking of...KFC.
        Sep 22, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    5. taarna23
      taarna23
      Phew... it's... done. Soon nobody will have an excuse on why their project didn't have a backup... not that I expect it will make much difference, sadly. :|
      1. 1 person likes this.
      3. taarna23
        taarna23
        A tutorial on using Bitbucket and SourceTree. Proper version/revision control.
        Sep 21, 2016
      4. BoredSoul
        BoredSoul
        Ah....

Atlassian is great.
        Sep 21, 2016
      5. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        Nice work, taarna it looked very in-depth. Yeah, if some people can't even be bothered to pop a flash drive in or upload it through media fire/dropbox every once in a blue moon I don't know if they would really follow it. I'm sure for many though it will be a wonderful option with which you gave them detailed instructions to follow.
        Sep 21, 2016
    6. taarna23
      taarna23
      For those that think the commercial VS non-commercial licensing is simple, and black-and white... http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-under-scrutiny-what-does-noncommercial-mean/

TL;DR - Company that makes free (with attribution) teaching materials for schools is suing FedEx... because they're making money printing the materials (likely at the schools' request). Seriously, the printing service part of FedEx charges money regardless of what is being printed. They are charging for the printing service, not the material being printed.

Even so... It shows that we all must tread carefully when using CC-licensed materials.
      2. Zeriab
        Zeriab
        It might just be a case of suing to protect their IP.

I know seems foolish, and it is foolish as well. A bug, so to speak, is present in the US legal system. You may have a situation where you will almost certainly loose if you sue, yet not suing may significantly weaken your rights further down the line.

To me this case feels a bit like that. I wouldn't be surprised if Great Minds do not actually expect to win.

*hugs*
        Sep 19, 2016
      3. taarna23
        taarna23
        Except that it's trademarks that need to be defended or lost - not licensing terms or copyrights. I feel like someone in Great Minds' legal department has no clue what they're doing.
        Sep 19, 2016
      4. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        @taarna23 Oh, okay got you that makes far more sense. Still feel there is not much of a case here if you ask me. 
        Sep 19, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    7. taarna23
      taarna23
      ...wha? I got... a twitter follower? I don't even... I'm so confused.
      2. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        Clearly you've made it big; getting followers without even trying.
        Sep 18, 2016
      3. taarna23
        taarna23
        Sure. Followers. Like the government of North Korea. Those kinds of followers.
        Sep 18, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      4. Arcmagik
        Arcmagik
        I made one for game dev otherwise I avoided twitter like the plague. I don't have to many followers yet so... who knows if it is worthwhile.
        Sep 18, 2016
    8. taarna23
      taarna23
      Tired of seeing so many "OMG I lost everything now what" threads. Writing a tutorial on Bitbucket and SourceTree.

Would like to take a moment to remind developers that your first responsibility is the safety of your project. That's right, first. As soon as you answer "No" to "Do you have a backup?" you are not a responsible developer.

Nobody can change this but you, however, I am writing a tutorial to make this an easier thing to do. I hope to release it this weekend before I fully dive back into my tileset builder project. And no, it isn't checked into revision control yet, but it does exist in 3 physically distinct locations that get updated daily, and a fourth one that gets updated weekly.

/rant
      1. 5 people like this.
      3. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        I keep 2 back ups although it tends to be one more accurate one. Flashdrives are your friend. Also got sites like mediafire and dropbox, no reason not to back up your stuff once and awhile.
        Sep 17, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      4. Zeriab
        Zeriab
        Sep 17, 2016
      5. Ossra
        Ossra
        Sep 17, 2016
        2 people like this.
    9. taarna23
      taarna23
      1. 2 people like this.
      2. Euphony
        Euphony
        Hello darkness my old friend~
        Sep 16, 2016
    10. taarna23
      taarna23
      Feeling a little burned out on my present game work... I suppose it's time to see if I still remember any C# and get back to work on the tileset builder.
      1. 2 people like this.
      3. mlogan
        mlogan
        I'm chuckling at your conversation with yourself. But hang in there, you got this.
        Sep 15, 2016
      4. taarna23
        taarna23
        I'm glad I could entertain! After going "Visual Studio? Hey, I remember this thing!" and then looking at my code, stowing it in a "reference only" folder, my last little bit of lunch was spent making a brand new project, renaming the main code file and dropping in some folders and the VX Ace background grids. Later tonight I'll get some work done towards it and the properly commit it to revision control.

Parts of my old code I can still use (and will need to), hence the reference folder, but it is somewhat refreshing to start in something new. For anyone curious that ends up here - yes, it will support MV, and still support VX/Ace, and still support XP tiles for use in VX/Ace. It just might be a little while. Or a lot while. I don't know.
        Sep 15, 2016
        3 people like this.
      5. Artificer
        Artificer
        nice
        Sep 15, 2016
    11. taarna23
      taarna23
      Today I learned copy-paste isn't real development. I guess every dev I ever met isn't a real dev. Including me. =P
      2. taarna23
        taarna23
        Ouch, ouch, ouch... Laughing/coughing after a migraine...

Lunarea, you win the internets. Can not like enough.
        Sep 14, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      3. TriceratopsX
        TriceratopsX
        @Lunarea... I have so much to learn  :headshake:
        Sep 14, 2016
      4. UNphiltered_khaos
        UNphiltered_khaos
        copy-pasta is development plagiarism.
        Sep 14, 2016
    12. taarna23
      taarna23
      I'm wiped. Work + mortgage stuff + student loan website being down... It's only Monday, and Monday's not even done, but I sure am...
      1. 2 people like this.
      2. GoodSelf
        GoodSelf
        Sorry you're having a rough day  :stare:  it will get better!  :guffaw:

http://i63.tinypic.com/b483tv.jpg
        Sep 13, 2016
        2 people like this.
      3. taarna23
        taarna23
        I know, it will. Probably not for a couple months, though, lol. Moving is rough, even when your address isn't changing. Maybe even moreso. But, nothing worth doing is ever easy, and this is certainly worth doing. I just keep picturing myself in my new place, and that makes things better. No less exhausted, but better.

Also, that is the cutest dang picture. That needs to be on shirts, I swear.
        Sep 13, 2016
        2 people like this.
    13. taarna23
      taarna23
      Ha! Neighbour tore down my fence and moved my shed because it was in "his" yard... Landlord determines that the area in question plus a little more is actually my yard.

Good old Karma beatdown. Sometimes life is fair.
      1. 4 people like this.
      3. TriceratopsX
        TriceratopsX
        Your neighbor sounds like a (pardon my language) rear end in a top hat, I'd do a little more than just have bright Christmas lights. (cue evil laugh  :guffaw: )
        Sep 10, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      4. kovak
        kovak
        "Isn't it why vuvuzelas still exists?"

Sounds like it's easier to replace it yourself instead of waiting your sweety pants neighbour do it.
        Sep 10, 2016
      5. The Stranger
        The Stranger
        Funny stuff. Love these crazy stories. I have many of my own. :D
        Sep 10, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    14. taarna23
      taarna23
      Man. Tiny things are getting me irrationally frustrated today. I need to go back to bed.
      1. Saltwater Croc
        Saltwater Croc
        If theyre internet-based, maybe you should log off for the rest of today. (If your job isn't on a computer, that is)
        Sep 9, 2016
      2. taarna23
        taarna23
        Meh, it's pretty much everything. Pretty sure I just need a decent night's sleep. ...plus I'll probably be feeling better overall in a couple days because... reasons.
        Sep 9, 2016
    15. taarna23
      taarna23
      New residence: selected. Size: fits. Gas line: movable. Mortgage: in progress. And daunting.
      1. 1 person likes this.
      2. Alexander Amnell
        Alexander Amnell
        That cozy-looking cabin-trailer?
        Sep 7, 2016
      3. taarna23
        taarna23
        Yes! Any other options would need to be built, take at least 3 months to do so, and basically none of them have a bathtub AND a washer/dryer. I have no idea why!

My daughter may hate the room she'll be stuffed in when visiting. Never has "bed room" been more true.

Now I just really hope I qualify for the mortgage... and that they'll let me throw a couple cat trees worth of cost on top of it because I'd like non-shredded furniture, and they'd like some window seats.
        Sep 7, 2016
    16. taarna23
      taarna23
      Well. I'm starting to think my street is haunted. I keep hearing a woman crying outside (street side, no homes across the street), but I look, and there's no one out there. The nearest homes are not close enough for me to be hearing it through the street-facing window and through the noise of the window fan.
      2. Euphony
        Euphony
        o__o

Welp, time to move to a new continent.
        Sep 3, 2016
      3. KanaX
        KanaX
        Moved in a new apartment. Keep hearing steps that clearly come from inside the house, but I live alone.
        Sep 3, 2016
      4. BoredSoul
        BoredSoul
        Through my experience,I can only say one thing.

RUN FAR AWAY,GATHER ALL YOUR STUFF,SETTLE IN A NICE HOME IN CANADA AND NEVER RETURN.

But in all,seriousness,don't worry.I always get scared of this paranormal stuff but I try to remember that they are not real.I don't know what's going on but don't let it get to you.Leaving your home isn't worth fleeing from a nonexistent creature you are fearing.Well,unless,it's a brilliant home.Then JUST DO IT!
        Sep 4, 2016
    17. taarna23
      taarna23
      THIS is why I love small, old-school sprites:

http://i68.tinypic.com/15qpxnb.jpg

Thinking pose. Also useful for "let me see that!" and "omnomnom"
      1. 1 person likes this.
      3. taarna23
        taarna23
        Good point!
        Sep 3, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      4. NeoFantasy
        NeoFantasy
        Also looks like laughing and maybe even shy poses to me.
        Sep 3, 2016
      5. taarna23
        taarna23
        Oh, maybe! I could tint the face for shy/embarrassed, and add some motion for laughing. I was wondering what I was going to do for that one; there's not a lot of face room to draw in. Thanks!!
        Sep 3, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    18. taarna23
      taarna23
      Thanks Canada Post! My copy of Exploding Kittens got lost in a Vancouver sorting centre for 2 weeks.
    19. taarna23
      taarna23
      1. 2 people like this.
      3. taarna23
        taarna23
        Yeah, my heating bill is going to go through the floor. I want this sucker in before winter. Or some other similar.
        Sep 1, 2016
      4. Shaz
        Shaz
        wow, look at all those windows - you'll have almost 360 views in that!  But it won't be very well insulated, so if you get really hot or really cold, could be an issue.  Something small is fine for one person on their own, if they haven't collected a lot of stuff.
        Sep 1, 2016
      5. taarna23
        taarna23
        It's Canadian-built, so even the windows will be done well. Heck, if they're done right, windows barely feel so much as cool in the winter.
        Sep 1, 2016
    20. taarna23
      taarna23
      I've been debating turning a project into an experiment - how far can a game go on free, available for commercial use resources? Dig hard enough and there's some serious quality out there. Could be interesting, haha.
      1. 2 people like this.
      3. Leon Kennedy
        Leon Kennedy
        Ross Bugden on youtube has tons of royalty free bgm over 62 songs now I believe, audioblocks has a ton of royalty free sfx that even has a nice feature where you can search by category from the very start so you waste no time finding what you are looking for. Good luck :)
        Aug 30, 2016
      4. taarna23
        taarna23
        Ehh... there's a difference between "free" and "royalty free." The latter generally costs money (as is the case with AudioBlocks), which would defeat the point of attempting to create a game using only free resources. As is, I have access to a pile of SFX resources I can use, but I forked over money for 'em.
        Aug 30, 2016
      5. Leon Kennedy
        Leon Kennedy
        Ah okay did know that about audioblocks but ross's is completely free hes been asked millions of times if they can use for commercial its always yes. I was trying to express that but with all the definitions of "free" its hard to tell anymore but his is legit free haha. Ah okay well good luck again.
        Aug 30, 2016
        1 person likes this.
  • About

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Meow. :3

Current interests: Making games, making jewelry, playing games, getting my student loan paid off, finding a dang job so I actually can pay off my student loans.

Interact

Signature