Tai_MT
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Cats are magical. There's just something special about when you pet them and they purr super loud and act as if every single stroke of your hand is the most pleasure they've ever experienced in the world.
    BK-tdm
    BK-tdm
    It is actually researched that petting cats lowers blood pressure and helps with depression and anxiety.

Plus cats purr at a frequency that actually helps heal their own wounds and things like bruises and hits on ourselves (if the cat is "vibrating" on the spot)

They deserved their egyptian praise and then some more.
    Aslanemperor
    Aslanemperor
    They're also jerks sometimes... It's amazing how such a small thing makes all the irritating stuff they do sometimes worthwhile.
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Yeah, apparently stroking cats (I think stroking any animal) is meant to be very good for you. It helps to destress you and calm you down. I imagine cuddling someone has the same effect. People just like touching and being touched. :)
    We are now in the era of humanity where, "I don't want to have a detailed explanation of an opinion and possibly tolerate that I might be wrong" is a valid excuse for criticizing things. IE: "Length is bad!".
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Context is important. If you can convey the same emotions, feeling, and ideas with less words than with more, it should be shortened. But, if shortening loses the intended effect, can we really say short is better?
    TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    The listener and their knowledge or how they view things are also important. You don't convince those who don't know much about medical stuff that vaccines aren't bad with pages of a scientific paper. They don't listen to that.

So yes, shorter can be better.
    SigmaSuccour
    SigmaSuccour
    We make do with what we get.
    Some people give you 5 minutes to convince them, some give you 5 seconds.
    Depending on their priorities, they can invest less time in what you have to say.

And so a good communicator, adjusts.

Edit: If we are in that era, as you say. Then we are in an era where people have less time.
    "Merchants don't sell you a product. They sell you something RIGHT NOW. That's all they're selling, the product of having what you want RIGHT NOW and not having to wait for it."
    When you make a deliberately grindy quest in which you need to kill 792 of an enemy... it's REALLY not that fun to playtest it to make sure it works right.
    Reactions: Quexp
    bgillisp
    bgillisp
    I am curious though...if it is not fun to playtest why have it in the game?
    Sirius270
    You can use the debug feature. Just start the quest, then debug to 750, or so. Then, just kill the 42, or whatever, left to make sure the event counts/works correctly.
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    @bgillisp As boring as it is, it's intentional. It's the only "grindy" quest in the game. The reason for it existing is... sort of hard to explain. In a game all about choices, do you think there's anything interesting about players who choose to do boring things?
    I always find it amusing when devs design things in their game with no concept of human behavior and no drive to study human behavior. It's like trying to cook a meal without knowing how a stove works.
    Trihan
    Trihan
    Can you give me an example of the kind of thing you're thinking of?
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Player psychology, mostly. Studying how people play video games. Watching gameplay of their friends and analyzing it. Analyzing their own gameplay habits for the "why" they do things the way they do. Etcetera. You see a lot of devs adhere and cling to "game theory", but few of them even know why game theory works (or doesn't work) because they don't study people.
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Yeah, it's not so much game theory, more the understanding of people and our various habits. It's why certain practices, such as loot boxes, are the way they are. I barely understand myself half the time, so I'm not that eager to psychoanalyse total strangers based on how they play games.
    "Humanity can't go very long without conflict. We can never have peace because people will always find reasons to hate each other. We shouldn't work towards peace, we should work towards a safe outlet for our aggression."
    Reactions: Puffer and RomVHS
    Sausage_Boi
    Sausage_Boi
    Reactions: kimo
    kimo
    kimo
    @Sausage_Boi
    Thanks for including those links for people to read for themselves. They should also read about the "overthrow" of the Hawaiian Government and Queen Liliuokalani. (You stay one portagee from Kauai?)
    @Tai_MT
    Sadly and often true about human nature. But it is a choice and other choices are always possible.
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    It really isn't all that much of a choice. It all starts with, "I had to deal with an idiot" in a person's personal life. Annoyance with someone saying or doing something a person doesn't like. Bad drivers, bad parents, people who are just bad people in general. You cannot erase conflict and you can never have peace. Humanity should instead search for appropriate outlets for its aggression.
    Me: "Raids are like having a second unpaid job that only idiots would do."
    Raid Leader: "You're calling anyone who likes raids an idiot."
    Me: "You show up at the same time every week, turn off your brain and become a robot to do mundane stuff for a hoped reward you might not ever get. That's a job. Why are you doing it for free if you're not an idiot?"
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Fun, by and large, is a measurable metric. It's a mixture of "personal accomplishment" as well as "emotional high point". It is impossible to have fun while at an emotional low point. It is impossible to have fun without a sense of personal accomplishment.

Using this, you can make fairly accurate activities and assertions on what most people will find "fun".
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    And, no. Exceptions to rules do not disprove the rules. They merely reinforce the commonly held belief that "every rule has an exception".
    48Tentacles
    48Tentacles
    This comment is not sponsored by Shadow Raid.

"There's the quiet, peaceful idiot, who knows he's an idiot, and doesn't **** with nobody so nobody tries to **** with him. He goes his own way, live and let live. And there's the idiot who thinks he's a genius. He keeps screwing things up, and you have to trail him, getting the **** straight." -Benjamin Esposito (The Secret In Their Eyes, 2009)
    It feels weird going back to old multiplayer games with your friends and then proceeding to curb-stomp teams of max levels.
    Someone: "I'm not mad, what about the way I replied to you makes you think I'm mad?"
    First reply to me: [Insert personal attack]
    Me: "Oh... I don't know..."
    • Sad
    Reactions: RachelTheSeeker
    caethyril
    caethyril
    Just an idea: are you confident that they know you viewed their words as an attack?
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    I don't usually count something as "an attack" unless it's something that is definitely a personal insult. When the opening sentence is, "You sound like someone who sucks at X"... it's sort of hard to take that any other way than an insult, ha ha.
    "Be as honest as you possibly can as often as you can. It makes your lies much easier to believe."
    Reactions: Philosophus Vagus
    cthulhusquid
    cthulhusquid
    The best lies are a variation of the truth.
    Blinn
    Blinn
    And then a 15-year-old kid, bored of school, decides to do a research project, and finds out what the lie is.
    gstv87
    gstv87
    or, lie all the time and with great exaggeration, so the next time you lie to cover a really bad fact, nobody will give it a thought.
    OR, lie around threads of truth, so the next time you're telling a story, people will listen until the end to figure out whether you're lying or not.
    and even then, you will still fool most of the common people, because they're already brainwashed most of the way.
    I think my new argument against people who decide to question the voracity of my character is just going to be to link them to my music playlist and challenge them to figure out who I am based on the music there.
    Facebook: "Let's host a video of someone comparing Cyberpunk 2077 to GTA5!"
    Me: "Why? They're both crap games for different reasons. What's the point of comparing crap to crap?"
    Most hype you'll get out of Cyberpunk 2077? Opening intro. Look man, Pacifica is still Pacifica. Yes, I let it play every single time.
    As a writer, one of the most annoying things I encounter is people who write "future technology" as if it were magic. "I don't have to explain how it works! It's so advanced it's like magic!". Uh, no, you need to explain how you're breaking the laws of reality. Write Fantasy otherwise.
    Don't forget, aspiring writers: Personality isn't what your characters do, it is WHY they do it.
    Celestrium
    Celestrium
    Great tip! @Tai_MT! Also remember that includes the villains and NPCs as well!
    • Love
    Reactions: Tai_MT
    Ionenschatten
    Ionenschatten
    And how. Everyone needs to cook their meals but someone might add a little sprinkle of love and friendship while some will remove the bacteria from their means of nourishment to prevent their own death if you get what I'm trying to say.
    Why "Games Journalism" is a joke. A journalist for Cyberpunk 2077 admits to playing almost no part of the game at all, gives the game a 7/10 after not playing it, gets called out by people on YouTube... then turns off comments on their video.
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Well, it used to be, once upon a time, people were Games Journalists because they enjoyed playing games. In fact, they were gamers. Now, it's just what people do when CNN won't hire them. Or... I dunno, insert big name news outlet instead of CNN.
    Windows i7
    Windows i7
    Greed kills everything eventually. They're just after the ad revenue these days.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    I trust game "journalism" (and for that matter mainstream news) as much as I trust an article written by throwing darts at a dart board with random words written on it. Actually scratch that, the dart board might be accidentally correct, so I trust it more. :LZSwink:
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So many ideas, so little energy.
SA57Face.pngSA57_IDLE.gifThis is just a "Chinese opera actor" who is totally not a serial killer. Now, we just need to clean up a pile of dead bodies found in his backyard. :kaojoy:
E7DsT3VXsAInVpu

working on my avatar, because i couldn't stand looking at it anymore :D
still not finished though...
alpacaraptors = love!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haleszarz