Tai_MT
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• "I didn't know X song was about that!" Uh... why? Do you not listen to the lyrics? I mean, I guess that makes sense. We live in a world where nobody listens, but everyone wants to be heard.
    Reactions: lianderson
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    @TheoAllen sounds like you're into the music for the technical mastery of it. I can't relate in terms of music, but in terms of enjoying game design or studying human behavior is the same for me. The technical mastery and ability to have prowess without needing emotions or context is pretty satisfying in it's own way. I just tend to view music as a more "spiritual" experience than most.
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    After all, there's a song for nearly any and every subject under the sun. Anything that can be expressed or explored probably has a song about it to some degree. Plus, I really like that most people tend to enjoy songs they can relate to. They subconsciously pick songs and lyrics that relate to themselves. You can learn a lot about someone by listening to their personal playlists.
    TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    I do agree to some extent about learning about someone by listening to their personal playlist. However, I do believe it is not only because of the lyrics. But also the atmosphere is given by the instruments. Of course, someone who prefers to listen to a song with lyrics also tells something about themselves and vice versa.
    Reactions: Tai_MT
    I finally know what the phrase is for Clementine in The Walking Dead game! "Dead Dog Writing". Everyone gets sad when the dog dies. As an author, your job is to make people feel something without the dog dying/kid getting cancer/etcetera.
    Kyuukon
    Kyuukon
    "I kept trying to get her killed at every opportunity and I kept trying to teach her the worst things I could."
    At that point, why even continue playing the game lol?
    Idk. I enjoyed the first season particularly.
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    @Kyuukon Two reasons. 1. Easy achievements. 2. My friend wanted me to finish it because "It was so good".

Spoiler warning: It really wasn't. The writing was the worst part.

Honestly, "The Wolf Among Us" was far better written and executed in terms of a story from the same company.
    Reactions: Nenen
    Nenen
    Nenen
    This is a very important lesson that is both obvious, and a little too easy to forget.
    Battlefield 2042 Beta: Return of the overpowered vehicles, underpowered anti-vehicle weapons, crap accuracy weapons with massive spread, and removal of classes so nobody drops healthkits, picks anyone up, or drops ammo for anyone! Nobody even repairs vehicles! Hard pass on crap game.
    cthulhusquid
    cthulhusquid
    I'm passing as well, I've lost interest in pretty much any multiplayer shooter.
    Also, hot take. Battlefield 2 (discounting 2142 as I never played it) was the last great Battlefield game. 3 and 1 were pretty good but still letdowns from 2. Plus, I die inside whenever someone hears "Battlefield Vietnam" and thinks of the BC2 dlc, instead of the original BF Vietnam.
    Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    Battlefield 3 was the absolute best, only competitive fps I could stand to play because it had such an openness and balance so that it wasn't just a funnel for the one with the best twitch reflexes or best hiding spot to win most of the time. 1 was okay, but it sank my interest in the series, can't really put my finger on it but it just wasn't nearly as fun at the end of the day.
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    I started the series with 3 because I wanted to know what all the fuss was about and fell pretty instantly in love with it. I've since gone back and enjoyed almost all of the old Battlefield games before 4. They've just gotten more and more unbalanced and removed features since 4, so I've been avoiding them.
    I always smile to myself when I see someone do the "immediate halt and spin around" from forgetting something. I find it sort of endearing how we all do it without ever being taught to.
    Tiamat-86
    Tiamat-86
    you were watching me forget my coffee mug weren't you. very sus :stare:
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Probably. I came home to my apartment building and a gal exited the building, got three steps outside, then stopped and spun and had to wait for me to put in the keycode to get back in. :D
    Humans have such a capacity to assign personalities and love to objects. We do this because we love them. It's interesting then that our fears over AI are that they won't love us back and will instead hate us.
    Am I the only one who finds it weird that people on the internet will reply to others without having read what they wrote?
    Tea's Jams
    Tea's Jams
    Reading comprehension is a thing too, a person can read the entire message and still not come off with the meaning. Even if their comprehension is high, if they are distracted, sick, tired or something it can happen too. Then throw into the mix that the interwebs is international and you have a large number of people that don't understand English as well as native speakers.
    TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    In conclusion, yes maybe you are the only one.
    And no, I did not read all of what is written here.
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    I read all the responses and was pleasantly surprised by so many varied opinions on the subject :D I still think it's a little weird.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time?
    I sometimes wonder why some people feel the need to make an explanation as complex as possible and then get upset when you simplified it down so everyone can understand it.
    Misery
    Misery
    Sometimes there is more to the way something works? Although, if it's just extraneous words...
    ThreeSixNine
    ThreeSixNine
    Probably has something to do with Einsteins' s quote about simple explanations.
    ATT_Turan
    ATT_Turan
    Some people like to feel better than others by using jargon. And sometimes there is accuracy in correct terminology (which may or may not be complex), the subtlety of which could get lost in simplifying it. Of course, whether that matters at any given time may vary.
    When given the chance, I always seem to opt to play the "nightmarish horror" race. If I can, I play the Flood... the Zerg... Necromorphs... Aliens... If I knew anything about Warhammer, I'd play Tyranids too.
    Reactions: Tech
    Razelle
    Razelle
    Tyranids are adorable.
    Games don't get good 20+ hours in. That's just Stockholm Syndrome setting in. You got used to a bad game in order to justify your purchase of it and to continue playing it. Don't sympathize with bad devs.
    Razelle
    Razelle
    I tend to drop games a lot more lately when the inverse that @ScorchedGround brought up happens. Which sucks, because a lot of the time it starts out promising, then that last hurdle is just bad enough to make me not see the conclusion.

I'll take some time and hang back, just in case it was fatigue, but usually I can tell the difference.
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    @Razelle I've done that with quite a few games, too. Life's too short to compel yourself to dive head first into crap you know you don't enjoy; we have to do enough of that in other parts of our lives, no need to do it in our downtime as well.
    gstv87
    gstv87
    it happened to me lately, with TV shows.
    I gave the first season pass to a couple series, to see if they would improve for the next season,... one of them being Lower Decks.
    couple of days ago, the first episode of season 2 aired.
    I watched the first 30 seconds and was still like "Nope.... not gonna happen."
    I sort of wish there was a way, without a plugin to have events that touch each other, trigger their effects.
    TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    There is an implication and domino effect by allowing the event triggers each other when they met that it might affect the whole engine design. You might be thinking to use the feature for a specific case, but a lot could be changed in the back-end. If you feel like discussing, you could try to make a feedback thread.
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Well, after I couldn't get it to work, and I spent some time trying to event around it... I realized it had about 2 dozen uses. I'm just sad that there isn't even a good way to "fake" that events trigger each other. Mostly because the option doesn't exist, so alternatives to the option don't either.
    Arctica
    Arctica
    You can probably setup a listener and have a method check the distances of each event or track the x or y in relation to each other and then play their events concurrently. Or an easier route is make invisible windows and add them to the scene and have the window update run a 1 time check(using a boolean) for their locations in relation to each other. Just throwing out there some approaches I'd take.
    Leave your Gatekeeping on Tumblr, Karen. Someone's opinion of your game 2 hours in is just as valid as someone who enjoyed it 300 hours in.
    watermark
    watermark
    I agree. It's like a kid shooting hoops with friends and a NBA player: their view of what makes basketball fun and needs are very different. Both are valid from the perspective of personal enjoyment.
    I've recently been into "Idle" games. Not sure why. Must be something about how I don't have to play... but if I do, the goal is resource usage optimization.
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Got that one too... the latest update made it... quite tedious rather than entertaining, ha ha. Not a fan of the new world map thing. I want to go back to previous zones to use my new equipment.
    ScorchedGround
    ScorchedGround
    @Tai_MT
    I could offer you some more Factorio-esque games if you want.
    Of course I cannot guarantee that you didn't play them already:

#1 Factory Town
    #2 Dyson Sphere Program
    #3 Satisfactory
    #4 shapez.io
    #5 Opus Magnum (This one is more puzzle-oriented combined with programming)
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    @ScorchedGround
    Played them all, the only one I don't own is Opus Magnum. I loved Dyson Sphere Program, though it lacks replayability. Satisfactory makes my computer run like a potato (I need to replace this 10 year old beast), but it's a ton of fun. Shapez.io was pretty fantastic, but not a lot of replayability there either. And Factory Town... oh lord is that game a freakin' SLOG.
    Game Theory is great to practice and all... but it is zero substitute for playtesting a game and saying, "Am I having fun?".
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    The main question we should all be asking ourselves as we play through our own games. Sure, fun doesn't have to mean sh*ts and giggles, but you should be enjoying your time with any games you choose to play. If a game you create for others to play isn't enjoyable for you, then how can you epxect others to enjoy it?
    KazukiT
    KazukiT
    Is that the truth. However, in all seriously playtesting is important and so is game theory/game design. They just help us understand how to elicit certain emotions.
    kirbwarrior
    kirbwarrior
    I'm a huge advocate for "if you've gotten bored of playtesting your game, then you're game is boring". Absolutely use game theory and understand game design principles, but the game has to be at least enjoyable, if not fun.
    The best among us don't set out to be heroes. They don't want that job. They just set out to do the things nobody else wants to do. Because... someone has to do it.
    Reactions: The Stranger
    TheouAegis
    Isn't that literally what every human being doing everyday? Doing thing they don't want to do xD
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Nope. I'm talking about the people who decide on their own to do the things nobody else wants to do, because someone needs to do it. The job that nobody wants? They take it. The task nobody likes? They volunteer for it. They are heroes because they are the ones that choose to do these jobs purely because nobody else will do them.
    cthulhusquid
    cthulhusquid
    Watch HBO's Chernobyl if you haven't, what you just said is the very definition of that show (and the real event it's based on)
    Cats are magical. There's just something special about when you pet them and they purr super loud and act as if every single stroke of your hand is the most pleasure they've ever experienced in the world.
    BK-tdm
    BK-tdm
    It is actually researched that petting cats lowers blood pressure and helps with depression and anxiety.

Plus cats purr at a frequency that actually helps heal their own wounds and things like bruises and hits on ourselves (if the cat is "vibrating" on the spot)

They deserved their egyptian praise and then some more.
    Aslanemperor
    Aslanemperor
    They're also jerks sometimes... It's amazing how such a small thing makes all the irritating stuff they do sometimes worthwhile.
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Yeah, apparently stroking cats (I think stroking any animal) is meant to be very good for you. It helps to destress you and calm you down. I imagine cuddling someone has the same effect. People just like touching and being touched. :)
    We are now in the era of humanity where, "I don't want to have a detailed explanation of an opinion and possibly tolerate that I might be wrong" is a valid excuse for criticizing things. IE: "Length is bad!".
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Context is important. If you can convey the same emotions, feeling, and ideas with less words than with more, it should be shortened. But, if shortening loses the intended effect, can we really say short is better?
    TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    The listener and their knowledge or how they view things are also important. You don't convince those who don't know much about medical stuff that vaccines aren't bad with pages of a scientific paper. They don't listen to that.

So yes, shorter can be better.
    SigmaSuccour
    SigmaSuccour
    We make do with what we get.
    Some people give you 5 minutes to convince them, some give you 5 seconds.
    Depending on their priorities, they can invest less time in what you have to say.

And so a good communicator, adjusts.

Edit: If we are in that era, as you say. Then we are in an era where people have less time.
    "Merchants don't sell you a product. They sell you something RIGHT NOW. That's all they're selling, the product of having what you want RIGHT NOW and not having to wait for it."
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Update: I finished the combat arena! My goodness, it took a while! There were numerous little bugs to squash.
Maldra wrote on stramin's profile.
Hi regarding the 32 bit -> 64 bit
I am running on a 64 bit windows OS and tried doing this conversion. I converted all of the .exe files that I could find in the KADOKAWA\RPGMV folder using the 4gbpatch.exe file. However, after trying to access RPG Maker MV after this conversion, it simply will not load. Do you have any advice or any ideas?
****ing muscle memory: does anyone else habitually quit out of test play when they notice something they """HAVE""" to fix, in spite of the fact that you can now edit DURING test play?

...thousands of times...

...every day?
Does anyone recognize him? :kaocry:
pwkyiDa.jpg

And hi.
finally drew 3 of the enemies that appear as students from the high school that's in my game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NaughtyPoncho