Tai_MT
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Accidently overcooked my spazghetto.  I was too engrossed in making skills and then level up lines for them.  o_O My "Magic Blade" skills are so generic, but I love them anyway.  I doubt players will, but I do.  Ha ha.
    Okay, I gave up.  I ordered the RMMV Essentials pack from the store.  I'd feel guilty for spending money if I didn't feel ecstatic for what I'm buying.
    Reactions: 1 person
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    So far, I am!  I spiced up a Dragon's lair with some of the loot ~_^  I also changed out a few of my shelves and such for the more extravagant looking ones.  :D  It had neat things I really wanted, so I couldn't resist buying them.

Seriously though, that hoard pile was the clincher.  Who DOESN'T want a hoard pile for a Dragon to sit on in an RPG?
    Lunarea
    Lunarea
    Wouldn't be a dragon cave without some major gold piles. :D

Make sure you post some screenshots when you're done mapping.
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Knowing me, I will forget, ha ha.  But, my Dragon's Lair will prolly go through several revisions anyway.  Right now, it's kind of just a cave with a bunch of the treasure items in it, ha ha.  :D  I'll be refining as I go!  But, I'm loving the aesthetic so far.
    I kind of wish the Store on the website had a "sort by Maker" option for its resources.  I've clicked a few and went, "this would be useful!" only to see it say "Optimized for VX Ace".  Ha ha.  I swear I'll find what I need!

My quest to spend money for customizing my game shall be complete!
    I wish YouTube had a "repeat" option for when you find just the right song to help you RPG Maker.  I don't like having to make an entire playlist and never hear the song that's inspiring me but one time...
    Victor Sant
    Victor Sant
    But it actually does, at last on browsers. Just right click the video, and check the 'Loop' option.
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Well, I actually learned something new today.  THANKS!
    Euphony
    Euphony
    Oh oh you can also use http://youtubeonrepeat.com/. Lets you repeat specific parts of a video if you want, and you can make playlists to put on a loop. It's pretty neat.
    I took a break from designing skills (and their level up paths) in order to create my stat raising items (which is the only way you will gain stats in my game).  I'm almost done with that and it's been a lot of fun deciding what flavors those items should be.
    I think I'm really crazy when I make RPGs.  I've been insisting on assigning either flavors or smells to most of my items, as if I think that's going to matter to players.
    Ms Littlefish
    Ms Littlefish
    Well, it is called flavor text. I say go for it. Sounds entertaining. 
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Ha ha, is it still entertaining when an Elixir smells acrid?  Or a Healing Potion tastes bitter?  Ha ha.
    The Mighty Palm
    The Mighty Palm
    I always write and LOVE reading flavor text! Go for it. 
    Personally for me, I like to give healing items little annoying side effects.
    Like potions will heal you, but they make your throat itch. Revive will leave metallic taste in your mouth. Etc.
    Playing around with the Character Creator feature in RMMV...  I figured out how to make children versions of my main characters!  HOORAY!
    StrawberryFlower
    StrawberryFlower
    Gonna share how? :p
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    It's a matter of just choosing more "childlike" features.  The sprite itself doesn't change a whole lot, but you can make the face a whole lot younger.  Bigger, more "anime-esque" eyes help as well as a more rounded face... Freckles too...
    *sigh* Too many "cooks in the kitchen" where I work.  I came up with a new system, it works perfectly fine, in fact, it works much better than I expected...  And the liaison between my section and the phone section decided she wants us to do it a different way for no other reason than that's just how she wanted it done.

I guess I was talking pretty loudly at her because my immediate supervisor came over to see what was going on and... amazingly... offered only the opinion of "if it isn't broke, why fix it?", which essentially sided with me.

I'm not sure I changed my liaison's mind, but she did cave and tell everyone that the way I set up to do it was fine (which I think she did because she didn't want to be the one maintaining the system she was proposing, which my supervisor suggested she do).

So, as much crap as I talked about this whole new system and how aggravating it was to have to change everything...  At least my supervisors will side with me on occasion and I have to eat my words this time.
    I find player choices to be very interesting.  What do players choose when given only two options?  I'll give you an example from my game.  If you're a Magic Knight, do you choose the options to be a physical damage dealer or to be a magical damage dealer?  Or, as a third option, do you try to balance them out?
    Shiroi Akuma
    Shiroi Akuma
    I always choose the fourth option: Pressing Alt+F4
    Shaz
    Shaz
    in battle, I usually choose the option that's fastest to choose, as long as it works.  That means attack, attack, attack.  I don't like spending a lot of time in menus looking for what skills might be available, what their requirements are, deciding between them.  I prefer seeing things happen, then getting back to the real game.
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    A style of gameplay I don't mind at all.  It's actually entirely welcomed in my own game.  I've kept skill lists fairly small for that reason.  I don't think I've got a single character that obtains more than 8 skills total, and most have only 6.  A large majority of classes have an "option" to be able to be able to just "mash attack" and do well.  Yep, even my mage!  There's special equipment for it even!

But, there's also a bit of depth in there for players who like that sort of thing as well.
    I just completed the Skills for my first two Characters.  Now to add them into my Database and begin work on the third and fourth. :D  60 skills for character 1, 71 for character 2...  90 for character 3...

If that sounds like a lot, remember that my skills level up and you lose previous versions as you get new ones :D   I'm honestly having a blast coming up with upgrade trees.
    I've been debating for the last week or so about getting the original Deus Ex games from Steam.  I can get them as well as the two latest for $32 currently.  I am not sure I'd even play the original Deus Ex games... not sure how well they hold up over time...
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    I'm excited for the new game as well, but I just hated how much Human Revolution ended up punishing you for killing ANYONE and how punishing the game was if you DIDN'T stealth at all.  I mean, outright locking you out of collectibles, Praxis Kits, storyline...  If you went and killed everyone who was a badguy in the game, that you could kill, you barely knew what was going on at all.  If you didn't stealth around and read all kinds of material, or leave people alive to tell you things later...  You were just kind of screwed in terms of pretty much the whole story.

I hope Mankind Divided doesn't lock me out of stuff for doing both kinds of playthroughs.  Whenever paths are "optional", I like to take the other path too, to see how the game changes.

Human Revolution locked you out of about 40% of the game by going combat.  I hated that.
    AnimaScorpius
    AnimaScorpius
    Yeah I know what you mean, it probably had less of an effect on me since I LOVE stealth. But like I said they listened to us this time and are making things more open and interested, so you don't get outright punished for taking a non-stealth route. They also gave more combat oriented skills to make it cooler and fun. If you didn't see the 30 min game-play demo you really should its awesome:
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    I did see the video, but we didn't really get to see any "consequences" or even "benefits" to anything either stealthily done or done in a combat way.  There was the one cutscene that was changed a bit, depending on whether or not you killed people, but it doesn't really answer whether or not you get cut out of story or level ups or anything else.

I'd have liked to see a few instances of them saying, "hey, if you kill people, you can get this same reward you would get if you went stealth".
    I spent the last two days at work devising new systems for how my job is going to work and how we'll accomplish everything we currently accomplish under my boss's new system.

I wasn't sure my ideas were good until one of my supervisors was surprised I had a new system in place already and that we were already keeping track of important records without their asking.

A lot of my stress is gone from my job just in time for the weekend.  Hopefully my systems don't need revisions in the weeks to come.
    Today is the day my bosses decided to crap the bed.  Implementing a new system without informing us, without letting us prep, without a meeting, without anything.

We got them to schedule a meeting for tomorrow by having us all ask them about 100 questions they didn't have the answers to.  I know they won't listen, but it's at least pretty funny that we got them to do their job.
    Shaz
    Shaz
    You need to sack your bosses and hire new ones!
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    No kidding!  Ha ha.
    How do you go to a job and not care?  Whatever I'm doing, I care immensely about it and want it to be done correctly and efficiently.  Is it possible to be trained out of this, so I can only care about collecting my paycheck and coming home?
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Honestly, it wouldn't be so bad if they weren't telling me that they need me and need my input.  And telling me not to quit or look for other jobs because I'm good at what I do.

If they simply didn't know how valuable I was, didn't care how valuable I was, or didn't think I was valuable at all... it probably wouldn't bother me.  But, it bothers me because they pulled me into a meeting to ask my opinion, they tell me I'm valuable on a fairly constant basis, and then they completely ignore anything I say and any input I offer.
    AnimaScorpius
    AnimaScorpius
    They tell you how useful you are so they can dumb more responsibilities on you without giving you a pay bump. Its the standard corporate tactic to maximize all employees. What you need to ask yourself is, is it worth it and is it good on your health to be strained without proper payment for the extra stuff you do.
    AwesomeCool
    AwesomeCool
    I recommend looking for another job and switch as soon as you find a better one.

Could even find something that pays more and treats you better if you look hard enough
    You know what I haven't played in a while?  An Immersive game.  A game I can get lost in, enjoy the lore of, the story of, the characters of, and the gameplay of.  A 4 a.m. game.
    Alexander Amnell
    Alexander Amnell
       I know how you feel. Seems like these days all my favorite game companies have gone the route of forsaking everything except graphics and accessible gameplay, simplifying everything and shotgunning every idea for a mechanic in the board room so they can boast of dozens of features even when the game has no direction and many of those features serve no real purpose.
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    The last game I played like that was Mass Effect 1.  It's definitely been a while since I've had a 4 a.m. game.
    What do you mean I'm crazy for giving my players access to a temporary immunity skill as their first learned skill?  It's strategic, I tell you!  STRATEGIC!

I'm not insane!  I swear I know what I'm doing!
    AnimaScorpius
    AnimaScorpius
    we should totally do roll20 sessions at one point. :)

I miss playing D&D (assuming that's what your talking about)
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Nope, talking about my game ^_^ Ran a playtest earlier this morning and one of the comments from my friends was "Dude, this skill is broken, you're insane for giving it to me so early in the game!".
    AnimaScorpius
    AnimaScorpius
    Ah :p well regardless we need to do a roll20 game at one point it would be awesome.
    You know you've created good characters when they write the story themselves and do their actions themselves.

I know it sounds weird, "But, writers are telling them what to do!".  Yes and no.  When they take on a life of their own, writers just tell the readers what they're doing, not forcing the characters to do things.
    Reactions: 3 people
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    I always just kind of let my characters write the story when they take on a life of their own.  I always have a beginning and ending planned, but I let the characters decide how we get there when they become their own people.  I build the world and its rules around them, so I have places I can go to as a writer and "God of their world" to be sure some things can happen and things don't seem like contrivances, but generally, they tell me how we're getting to the ending ^_^ 

And sometimes, if they're really smart, they can convince me that their idea of an ending is better than mine.
    Lunarea
    Lunarea
    I generally start with an idea or concept that could be summed up in a sentence or two. Then get the characters worked out, then a loose plot with the major events -- basically, general to specific, with the characters fleshed out before much else. :)

I'm a planner, though, so I try to get a lot of the details organized in advance. But I've learned that the characters don't always care for my details and that going with the flow often results in a better game overall.
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    I generally start with a loose concept or idea as well.  Usually along the lines of "what if...?".  From there, I create characters, and they help inform me of the world I'm working in.  It isn't perfect and it usually goes through a few revisions (you cannot escape revisions as a writer, no matter how good you are, ha ha.  No battle plan survives contact with the enemy!), but I try to keep the beginning, the end, and three major plot points for the whole thing.  Those facets have to be kept no matter what in order to make the story work.  Everything else is the characters telling me what they're doing.

I like planning things myself, I'm just a terrible procrastinator and worker when it comes to following those plans. 
    So, this week is probably the most work I've put into my game since I started on VX Ace.  I don't know what reignited my passion for my story, my game mechanics, and the MV program in general, but I've been having a lot of fun.  So, I'm watching "Dead Like Me" for the third time and working on Skills this morning.  If I'm lucky, I'll be finished with them by the end of today :D
    I just spent 4 hours reassigning all my stuff in my game to the new icons.  I'll just end up updating my iconsheet as I go, as I need new things (if I need new new things), so everything should be in the right spot now!  Now, I move on to blatantly pillaging other peoples' hard programming work to add in a couple plugins.  I'm fairly certain I owe someone some money after this.  Seriously.
    Making my own icons is.... tricky.  Especially since I have no idea what icons I will all need for my whole game ^_^  But, I've got the icons for weapons, armors, elements, and status effects done!
    taarna23
    taarna23
    What kind of style are you using? I made a tutorial for making MV icons; no idea if that helps you.
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Yanfly actually has this icon making thingie.  I'm using that.  I wish it had more options, but it's basically got what I'm looking for anyway.  I'll just update my iconset as I get newer options.
    taarna23
    taarna23
    Well, I don't really know what that one's like, but my tutorial refers people to game-icons.net... I stripped the MV icons down to backgrounds so people can just drop one of those icons on it. Again, no idea if it's helpful, but the site has over 2000 icons on it.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I've been working on plugins to make it easier to incorporate Persona 3's Once More batsys into MV games. One makes it so you can have states automatically applied to the target and/or user when their hit crits or targets a weakness... I could use testers for it, though. Maybe I'll make a thread in the JS Plugins In Development board about it?
Whenever I'm feeling down I like to watch Bardic Inspiration by Deerstalker Pictures
on youtube. Because 'my mockery is Vicious.' It's funny and catchy like the flu.
Knew this hurricane was coming for me, because it got my name on it! See you humans and non-humans in a few days if not a few weeks. Now go work on yo games!
ScreenShot_9_27_2022_6_54_39.png
New enemy finished today... Century Owl.
bandicam 2022-09-27 22-40-47-956.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vorosh-CR