TheGentlemanLoser
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Awarded medals About

• seems absolutely WILD to me now all the hundreds of hours of work I used to do in 2k(3) over a decade ago with a resolution of 320x240. that seems so insanely TINY now, seemed so normal at the time!
    Arctica
    Arctica
    Monitor/Screen technology has definitely come a long way. I remember when 1024x768 was the current display resolution that was all the rage. Now that is about half my current resolution lol.
    Shaz
    Shaz
    I bet it only seems small because of the monitor you're using now. A decade ago, that would have covered a good chunk of your screen.
    Playing one of the two RM2k3 games I was best known for back in the day, one I made in the Spring semester of my Freshmen year in college like 15 years ago, feeling all kinds of ways about it. I have not played this game in WELL over 10 years. I feel a million years old RN.
    TheGentlemanLoser
    TheGentlemanLoser
    Only able to play it because Retroarch an emulator front end I've been using, included built in support for something called Easy RPG which is I guess a front end for playing 2k3 games: my computer can't even run vanilla 2k3 games, they're too old. Adds to the weird sense that I'm playing something that was literally made by another person: I cannot recognize my 18 year old self.
    why did no one tell me that one of the early Persona games let you fight Hitler as a boss?
    I am just now learning about Corpse Party (FFS how is that possible? I mean, I knew there was a thing called that but my knowledge ended there) and WOW! Wild! Definitely gotta be the only RPG Maker game ever adapted into a live action movie(s actually)! Definitely! ...right??
    AkiraKotatsuhime
    AkiraKotatsuhime
    The only one? No, (the ****ty) [Ao Oni] made with RPGXP would like to have a word with you, it also got TWO LA-movies (and some other stuff).

And yes, CP was made in 1996 with RPGツクールDante98 from 1992 which was the first RPG creation tool ever to have the [TKool]/[ツクール] series title that was established back in around 1987.
    Froggo32
    Froggo32
    Angels of death has 3 mangas and 1 anime, the creators must have not been expecting that...and be loaded now 0-0
    TheGentlemanLoser
    TheGentlemanLoser
    "No, (the ****ty) [Ao Oni] made with RPGXP would like to have a word with you, it also got TWO LA-movies (and some other stuff)."

See, I'm glad I asked.

anyone interested in doing a (very) deep dive into the Corpse Party franchise:
    Hot damn I love my game's soundtrack! Not like I composed any of it (not in my skillset), so I guess this is only semi-bragging, but I do have excellent taste.
    Misery
    Misery
    Where from?
    TheGentlemanLoser
    TheGentlemanLoser
    Major contributors include some of the "usual suspects" around here: check out Scott Arc, maoudamashii/JokerSounds, and Elias Luukanen if you haven't already.
    ...sometimes I think I might technically exist...but probably not...
    RachelTheSeeker
    RachelTheSeeker
    "How do you prove that you exist...? Maybe we don't exist..." - Vivi
    TheGentlemanLoser
    TheGentlemanLoser
    man, I love that kid...I gotta properly replay that game one of these days

(I mean, IIRC (spoilers for a 21 year old game?) in his case the existential anxiety was more justified considering the whole thing where he's literally a bio-weapon in universe.)
    HankB
    HankB
    You're confused about whether or not you exist. I've seen this before. It usually means you should either do acid or stop doing acid. But sometimes it's just a side-effect of being a theoretical physicist and/or theologist.
    welp, I literally can't continue working on ALEX now that my MZ trial is up (unless I somehow place in the jam which I don't remotely deserve to for my unfinished crap) so I am back on my bullshit
    KazukiT
    KazukiT
    I struggle with tossing an old project for a new one sometimes. Like what @overlordmikey said having someone to talk about it with can help keep motivation up. Taking breaks is also important. Something I still need to work on myself. As for MV you could always buy the full version when you money you spend on that.
    Willibab
    Willibab
    I seem to be in the minority here but i love starting new projects. Maybe its cuz im an idea guy :p I create the worlds and systems and them in like ''nah, the rest is just work, and work is boring'' xD
    Ninjakillzu
    Ninjakillzu
    @overlordmikey I do the same thing with my brother, although we work on separate games. It's nice to have someone you can bounce ideas off of.
    actually, are there any JRPG type games (I guess turn based, so not ARPGs like say, Vagrant Story) where you have only one party member for the majority of the game? (I wonder if I'm forgetting something obvious.)
    kirbwarrior
    kirbwarrior
    *When I said perfect blend, I meant as in middle point. No, Quest 64 is not 10 out of 10 and in fact is a game I wouldn't ever recommend, but I do enjoy it for what it is.
    TheGentlemanLoser
    TheGentlemanLoser
    I am of an age where when it was new it was the first game I can remember being horrible, like I had encountered games that were too hard for me or that I didn't enjoy or whatever but I think it was the first REALLY *BAD* *BAD* GAME I can remember.
    kirbwarrior
    kirbwarrior
    I'd love to break down all the good and bad parts of Quest 64, but there's one really big reason it's bad and it was intentional; The game wasn't finished. The company (I won't blame the developers) wanted to have the first n64 rpg and that meant cutting corners for the earliest possible release date. Similar thing happened with Lunar on the DS.
    I guess it becomes purely academic in less than four days but before then can anyone explain to me why the %^&*( animations in the MZ database don't have a 'Hue' slider??
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Yeah, I was going to learn it... I've even opened it and messed with it a bit. However the documentation is sadly very lacking. Much of it in Japanese, and there's basically no community to help with problems for it. So I've just made due with the huge amount of free animations on their site and the MZ stuff. Or just using PIXI Particles. I might look into it later if it improves.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    You can select a 2D view in Effekseer to make your animations more fitting with MZ's default style. I found they didn't look as good though, which is probably why they opted to go with the 3D ones for MZ. It is very strange the whole setup. I do like the end results though if they ever improve the implementation. They are far and away more memory efficient than MV's spritesheets.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    You can actually create animations with PIXI Particles though... that mimic MV's old animation style. Just take a particle that's a single static image, then replace it with a new particle that's the next frame in the animation, and repeat. Put a single frame wait in there and it will actually create animations anywhere. Combat, the tilemap, the parallax, anywhere. :LZSwink:
    PSA: please stop putting the word 'Eternal' in your game titles.
    "but what even is an API??"
    TheGentlemanLoser
    TheGentlemanLoser
    @Beckx

so a lot like in RM when an on-touch event needs to trigger a big mess of event code but I don't want to have all of that code live in a random event on the map in case it gets deleted by accident so I have it call a common event instead?
    Beckx
    Beckx
    @TheGentlemanLoser mmh... yeah, kinda but not really. I mean for the purpose of better understanding it, sure :D though i'd say it'll be more like it, if your common event uses some plugin stuff, and that plugin would be our pseudo equivalent of an API. but aah.. still not really though, lol
    Beckx
    Beckx
    I'm at work right now, but i'll try to come up with some better example later. this is my day to day work, i should be able to explain it better, but the coffee isn't working yet :D
    anyone know why screenshots from MZ turn up so freaking HUGE in terms of file size?
    Dungeonmind
    Dungeonmind
    This doesn't just have to do with MZ. Because the bigger your resolution is when you take that screenshot the bigger the file will be. Like my screen is somewhere in the 3 or 4 thousands (MacBook Pro 16 inch.) This makes a lot of things weird for me.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Are you saving it as a JPEG and not a PNG? PNG's are great and all if you need transparency for some reason. But otherwise they're far larger then JPEGs and largely have no meaningful additional functionality. If you need a PNG you can also use an online compressor like tinypng.com to shrink it by 65-75%.
    TheGentlemanLoser
    TheGentlemanLoser
    thanks ImaginaryVilliain I hadn't thought of that I'll convert them over to jpgs
    what even is an effekseer....
    estriole
    estriole
    it's a free program (i think it's free if i remember right)... to create particle effect as both 2d or 3d animation... RMMZ can only use the 2d animation made using effekseer though... hope this help...
    ok so re: touch the stars jamtrap, actually all y'all needed to do was tell me that mz added a preview event route function...

I'm positive that literally *THOUSANDS* of hours of my life could have been saved if this feature had been around since 2k3! better late than never.
    Trihan
    Trihan
    Do you know about the "test" option they added to events in MV as well?
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Doing RPG Maker News for 26th September 2021

Well... it's been a while since I was last here :kaoswt: I don't want to say I'm officially 'back' yet, but I've recently started working with RM again, so I might become active here again :kaohi:
Mmmm I love Coca Cola candy! :kaoluv:
aaaand my power is out. I sometimes think that I'm cursed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kinenveu