TheGentlemanLoser
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Awarded medals About

• Is there any way to get more than 8 enemies in a troop in RMMV or is that limit pretty much hardcoded into the engine?
    Drakkonis
    Drakkonis
    It's hardcoded in the database, but I don't think there's much limit in the engine code itself. Which means for more, you'd need a plugin of some sort. I know Hime has a reinforcement plugin that might do the trick.
    Shaz
    Shaz
    Please use the forum to ask for help
    Unironically, no joke, after consideration and self-reflection, I have decided that the best thing for my creative/workflow/commitment problems is to spend EVEN MOAR hours a day playing videogames than I normally do. (Micro-thread)
    TheGentlemanLoser
    TheGentlemanLoser
    ... to get inspir'd/hyped to follow through and finish fleshing out my OWN bite-sized proof of concepts/janky alpha demos into actual games w/ substance. I feel kinda fortunate/grateful to even HAVE so much free time to "waste" playing videogames "wrong" and/or "spend" playing videogames "right", although RN in life I have this instead of a social life or my health so...meh. (End of micro thread.)
    Sausage_Boi
    Sausage_Boi
    Try Xenogears. It might be hard to find, being old AF and no remaster, but... 60+ hours of the most complex, in-depth story with Kung Fu robots and an atmosphere so dark, Squaresoft said "That CAN NOT be Final Fantasy VII. Make a new project, please."
    KazukiT
    KazukiT
    Being a game developer and playing games is important. You need to know what you like it a game and study what work and what doesn’t. I struggle with this one though.
    besides itch and occasionally here where are people doing game jams at y'all? (plz do not cross reference this with my previous status lol)
    I really lack discipline and find myself far too often giving into or at least seriously considering the temptation to start a new project rather than following through on a WIP that's no longer a shiny and new idea.

Does anyone have any strategies or tricks for making themselves follow through with things instead of doing this? Like that actually work?
    • Wow
    Reactions: RachelTheSeeker
    TheGentlemanLoser
    TheGentlemanLoser
    thanks for the great ideas, guys, interesting stuff to think about for shizzle (I love that idea sigma)
    TheGentlemanLoser
    TheGentlemanLoser
    So after due consideration I've decided to 'cheat' with a mini game jam, I have only 60 hours or so to make a tiny game so HOPEFULLY that should keep me from getting too excited about what I'm making and abandoning my main projects. ("It doesn't count as cheating if it's a game jam" :uswt:??)
    KazukiT
    KazukiT
    A strategy that works is to make games for game jams, that keeps scope creep in check considering you have a deadline.
    is it against the rules to ask about gamedev tools/engines unrelated to anything made by Degica?
    I wish my strengths lay in creating resources, not in using resources created by others to cobble together games, I have a feeling there's WAY more money to be made around RPG Maker creating resources for gam mak than actually doing the mak-ing.
    Tamina
    I value game writing quite a bit. I have hired professional writers to work on my game before and paid them several times higher than minimum wage. So they are definitely valued and a legit position in game industry.

3/3
    TheGentlemanLoser
    TheGentlemanLoser
    If I need money and want to make money off my art, I would just work for an employer or commission. They tend to pay well enough so I can afford rent, food and still have some money left.

This kind of paying work isn't exactly easy to find even if you're qualified! Got any promising leads fro me?
    TheGentlemanLoser
    TheGentlemanLoser
    I have paid professional writers as well! But honestly what I paid them for I could have done myself back to wall, and if I'd been bankrolling my own company (which I wasn't, I "married well") I probably couldn't have paid them, and almost certainly couldn't have paid them so generously.

That said if you ever need any writing for your games please keep me in mind! I (obviously?) love this kinda ****.
    Reactions: Tamina
    Renaming my project and realigning its aesthetics and story elements to be less of a fangame and less retro and more stand alone and (slightly) more hifi, mainly the audio.
    has anyone else ever put a ton of effort & thought & work into a game (or whatever, it can be any creative work) and released it only to see it get completely ignored and felt absolutely discouraged and hopeless that you put all that time into something no one wanted to play/read/watch/look at? and how do you deal with these deeply hurt feelings and keep the will to make things at all?
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    If there is one thing that I don't like about game design... It's the social media aspect. That being said, I'm not making a game for 10 people to play, nor 100, nor 1,000, nor even 10,000. This is a go big or go home affair. To succeed I'll need to swim through the sewage that is social media, like a dolphin through the ocean. #Sewer Dolphin :LZSwink:
    SigmaSuccour
    SigmaSuccour
    @TheGentlemanLoser It's one thing to not market.
    It's another thing to not have published much to market to begin with.
    And it's a whole 'nother thing to change identities, so no one is able to recognize you.

Clearly, you're not finishing games. (By what I can see.)
    And you're actively making decisions to make sure no one recognizes you or your work.
    SigmaSuccour
    SigmaSuccour
    All that's okay. Because it looks like you have been game-making for fun.
    That's awesome! I'm happy for you. :LZSooo:
    That 'fun', has been your reward.

Getting appreciation? Recognition? Fame? Money?
    Those are different set of rewards. You get these by sacrificing all that fun. :LZScheeze:
    i have not sleeped in 38 hours because i have been gammaking continuously for that time to make my entry for retro jam in time SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK we don't need it the necessitof human sleep is a lie made up by mattress companies to sell pillows *COLLAPSES INTO COMA*snes box.pngy
    KazukiT
    KazukiT
    That is quite worrisome and commendable at the same time. Well, when you make your submission you could take a day to rest.
    TheGentlemanLoser
    TheGentlemanLoser
    when i'm done w/ rollout on rmn and here I think I might take a vacation for like a week--a staycation, obv, i can't afford to go anywhere also covid so really more of a sabbatical)
    for the first time in the--holy crap, 4000 hours???-steam tells me I've been using MV, I actually wrote a line of javascript that fixed a problem I was having with a problem w/o breaking anythin/everything else. To paraphrase Rick & Morty, I feel like Stephen ****ing Hawkingson.
    Reactions: GolvaeGames
    Stimulantfound
    Stimulantfound
    4,000 hours? I don’t have Steam, so I have to guess . . . I would say, I’ve spent roughly 66 hours with RMMZ. You must have quite the amazing project(s). :smile:
    TheGentlemanLoser
    TheGentlemanLoser
    eh I'm still learning like everybody else, but I should be finally releasing something right on these very forums today so we shall see what people think
    I don't think I can handle using the real SNES resolution of 512x448 because resizing absolutely every interface element I had on hand by painstaking trial & error/guess and check (is there any other way?) is KILLING me.
    TheGentlemanLoser
    TheGentlemanLoser
    I'm using MV. I've tried resizing the resolution via the "Community Basics" plugin and via YEP Core Engine, and it's incredibly difficult verging on impossible for someone of my limited patience and technical ability to get all of the HUD elements on the screen in the right places not looking ass in a 512x448 window. I gave up and the game will now be in incredibly glorious hi-tech SVGA (800x600 lol).
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Ah... Yeah. That's rough. Sounds like it's just better if you go with the SVGA resolution. Redesigning a whole menu system is time consuming indeed.
    Stimulantfound
    Stimulantfound
    Very few SNES games used that resolution and the majority that did use it for static menus anyway.
    anyone else 'round here gonna be doing the retro game jam that's starting in a few days on itch.io?
    Reactions: Quexp
    Quexp
    Quexp
    Probably not since I'd have to do it all over that weekend. I bookmarked the page to keep an eye on it because it's a fun idea!
    TheGentlemanLoser
    TheGentlemanLoser
    yeah I am unreasonably excited about the concept I came up with, like, legitimately hyped
    • Love
    Reactions: Quexp
    trying to figure my way around the basic functions of Construct 3 and OH GOD MY BRAIN. I'm starting to think that developing decades of RPG Maker skills might have a downside.
    • Haha
    Reactions: ImaginaryVillain
    TheGentlemanLoser
    TheGentlemanLoser
    it's a little like being one of the world's greatest ukulele players w/ 20 years ukulele experience like anything it's possible to get a ukulele to do you can, but it does nothing for you when you try to practice the guitar.
    TheGentlemanLoser
    TheGentlemanLoser
    IV I was kinda stunned that the Unreal engine was a) free at all and b) on a list of things suggested as alternatives to RM! like this is the engine the big boys use isn't it? downloaded it but haven't tried it yet.
    TheGentlemanLoser
    TheGentlemanLoser
    fascinating how Construct/GameMaker can do real time collision detection with trivial ease, but anything involving text/windows/menus requires tons of extra work than it would in RM, and vice versa.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Playing one of the two RM2k3 games I was best known for back in the day, one I made in the Spring semester of my Freshmen year in college like 15 years ago, feeling all kinds of ways about it. I have not played this game in WELL over 10 years. I feel a million years old RN.
One of these days, I need to find/figure out how to replicate the Brave/Default system. Heheh...
Are ReSTAFFs a thing anymore? Just curious, not sure if this is thread-worthy, so just musing here
Mr_Petue wrote on ATT_Turan's profile.
please explain, why you are voting my commentary negativ.
Mr_Petue wrote on Eliaquim's profile.
please explain, why you are voting my commentary negativ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilhelm