TheGentlemanLoser
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Awarded medals About

• PSA: please stop putting the word 'Eternal' in your game titles.
    "but what even is an API??"
    TheGentlemanLoser
    TheGentlemanLoser
    @Beckx

so a lot like in RM when an on-touch event needs to trigger a big mess of event code but I don't want to have all of that code live in a random event on the map in case it gets deleted by accident so I have it call a common event instead?
    Beckx
    Beckx
    @TheGentlemanLoser mmh... yeah, kinda but not really. I mean for the purpose of better understanding it, sure :D though i'd say it'll be more like it, if your common event uses some plugin stuff, and that plugin would be our pseudo equivalent of an API. but aah.. still not really though, lol
    Beckx
    Beckx
    I'm at work right now, but i'll try to come up with some better example later. this is my day to day work, i should be able to explain it better, but the coffee isn't working yet :D
    anyone know why screenshots from MZ turn up so freaking HUGE in terms of file size?
    Dungeonmind
    Dungeonmind
    This doesn't just have to do with MZ. Because the bigger your resolution is when you take that screenshot the bigger the file will be. Like my screen is somewhere in the 3 or 4 thousands (MacBook Pro 16 inch.) This makes a lot of things weird for me.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Are you saving it as a JPEG and not a PNG? PNG's are great and all if you need transparency for some reason. But otherwise they're far larger then JPEGs and largely have no meaningful additional functionality. If you need a PNG you can also use an online compressor like tinypng.com to shrink it by 65-75%.
    TheGentlemanLoser
    TheGentlemanLoser
    thanks ImaginaryVilliain I hadn't thought of that I'll convert them over to jpgs
    what even is an effekseer....
    estriole
    estriole
    it's a free program (i think it's free if i remember right)... to create particle effect as both 2d or 3d animation... RMMZ can only use the 2d animation made using effekseer though... hope this help...
    ok so re: touch the stars jamtrap, actually all y'all needed to do was tell me that mz added a preview event route function...

I'm positive that literally *THOUSANDS* of hours of my life could have been saved if this feature had been around since 2k3! better late than never.
    Trihan
    Trihan
    Do you know about the "test" option they added to events in MV as well?
    I really hope that people get when I begin this game with a big expository text crawl about the founding of Terra and the prophecy of the Chaos Star and the Lunar Crystal and the Four Chosen Heroes bla bla that I'm doing it *ironically*.
    • Wow
    Reactions: RCXDan and KazukiT
    Shaz
    Shaz
    I don't know if irony would make me sit and watch it. Unless it was funny.
    kirbwarrior
    kirbwarrior
    Some good ways to have it come across ironically is doing things like the narrator losing track of what they are talking about, misspelling to same word multiple times (especially if it's a proper noun), having a skip option and the narrator berates you for not listening to the totally important and not generic opening, etc.
    kirbwarrior
    kirbwarrior
    As to what Kazuki said, having a text crawl over the cutscene that says completely the wrong stuff makes for either a hilarious or obviously "the game is going to lie to you" opening.
    Is there any way to get more than 8 enemies in a troop in RMMV or is that limit pretty much hardcoded into the engine?
    Drakkonis
    Drakkonis
    It's hardcoded in the database, but I don't think there's much limit in the engine code itself. Which means for more, you'd need a plugin of some sort. I know Hime has a reinforcement plugin that might do the trick.
    Shaz
    Shaz
    Please use the forum to ask for help
    Unironically, no joke, after consideration and self-reflection, I have decided that the best thing for my creative/workflow/commitment problems is to spend EVEN MOAR hours a day playing videogames than I normally do. (Micro-thread)
    TheGentlemanLoser
    TheGentlemanLoser
    ... to get inspir'd/hyped to follow through and finish fleshing out my OWN bite-sized proof of concepts/janky alpha demos into actual games w/ substance. I feel kinda fortunate/grateful to even HAVE so much free time to "waste" playing videogames "wrong" and/or "spend" playing videogames "right", although RN in life I have this instead of a social life or my health so...meh. (End of micro thread.)
    Sausage_Boi
    Sausage_Boi
    Try Xenogears. It might be hard to find, being old AF and no remaster, but... 60+ hours of the most complex, in-depth story with Kung Fu robots and an atmosphere so dark, Squaresoft said "That CAN NOT be Final Fantasy VII. Make a new project, please."
    KazukiT
    KazukiT
    Being a game developer and playing games is important. You need to know what you like it a game and study what work and what doesn’t. I struggle with this one though.
    besides itch and occasionally here where are people doing game jams at y'all? (plz do not cross reference this with my previous status lol)
    I really lack discipline and find myself far too often giving into or at least seriously considering the temptation to start a new project rather than following through on a WIP that's no longer a shiny and new idea.

Does anyone have any strategies or tricks for making themselves follow through with things instead of doing this? Like that actually work?
    • Wow
    Reactions: RachelTheSeeker
    TheGentlemanLoser
    TheGentlemanLoser
    thanks for the great ideas, guys, interesting stuff to think about for shizzle (I love that idea sigma)
    TheGentlemanLoser
    TheGentlemanLoser
    So after due consideration I've decided to 'cheat' with a mini game jam, I have only 60 hours or so to make a tiny game so HOPEFULLY that should keep me from getting too excited about what I'm making and abandoning my main projects. ("It doesn't count as cheating if it's a game jam" :uswt:??)
    KazukiT
    KazukiT
    A strategy that works is to make games for game jams, that keeps scope creep in check considering you have a deadline.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm so annoyed with myself...I can't get this code to work so it looks like I'm going the plugin route for a problem I should be able to do myself :kaolivid:Great. Now I get to murder save file compatibility. Again.
Can't believe my code from four years ago is still working! Did some expansions, and...
1635194553179.png
In related news, I may have an update for my old Extra status window plugin ready. That is, once I manage to sit down and update the documentation... and the demo project... :kaoswt:
How does one pronounce Godot? I've heard it pronounced a couple of different ways, and I genuinely don't know the proper way.
March 2020 ...
1635188823939.jpeg
... vs October 2021
You look like you had a rough day...Here, have a Baby Panda!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guertena_1