TheoAllen
Last Activity:
Oct 15, 2019 at 11:44 PM

Awarded Medals 2

Share This Page

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades, Male, from Riftverse

Veteran

Fun fact: the time I discovered that there's turn based battle RPG was the same time I discovered RM. Oct 14, 2019 at 6:18 PM

TheoAllen was last seen:
Oct 15, 2019 at 11:44 PM
    1. TheoAllen
      TheoAllen
      "This application has failed successfully"
      1. cabfe
      2. Tw0Face
        Tw0Face
        I once had an error message which just said "error". I had the option to click "ok". No way to "cancel" that error at all.
        Apr 19, 2019
      3. BadLittleSeed
        BadLittleSeed
        Hahah, good old SNAFU - situation normal, all forked up.
        Apr 20, 2019
    2. TheoAllen
      TheoAllen
      Not sure if I want to use itch io or RMN as my main game page. (inb4, someone said "why not both").
      1. Meike
        Meike
        I like Itch~
        Apr 17, 2019
      2. The Mighty Palm
        The Mighty Palm
        Put the download on itch. Link to it on the forum. No que los es dos?
        Apr 18, 2019
      3. Mrs_Allykat
        Mrs_Allykat
        I like the URL we get for itch, but I like the page tools on RMN too. It's a hard choice!
        Apr 18, 2019
    3. TheoAllen
      TheoAllen
      Meanwhile some ppl need an easier mode to playtest my game, I made a hardmode out of boredom for myself and for the lul.
      1. Elliott404 likes this.
    4. TheoAllen
      TheoAllen
      How could someone's game size turned to be like 700mb or more? Do they use flac for the music files or what?
      1. View previous comments...
      2. MushroomCake28
        MushroomCake28
        In some games, you barely notice the soundtrack since it complements the game perfectly. In other games, you stop playing just to listen to the music. Two different philosophy, two different ways to design, two different ways to compress (or not) your soundtrack.
        Apr 14, 2019
        Finnuval likes this.
      3. TheoAllen
        TheoAllen
        One could argue that you can put the lower quality bgm in the game because you hardly notice the difference and sell the high quality separately for more income :p i.e, if they managed to hack your game, they will not get the high quality music
        Apr 14, 2019
      4. MushroomCake28
        MushroomCake28
        @TheoAllen Lol that's a clever argument. But honestly, it mostly depends on your samples. There's no real quality loss by compressing midi files, but if you use super HD pro orchestra recorded (with multiple mic positions) samples, you'll notice the difference.
        Apr 14, 2019
    5. TheoAllen
      TheoAllen
      Me: It looks fine now, goin to release the demo next week if it goes well | My brain: Now, how about adding these features A, B, and C?
      2. MushroomCake28
        MushroomCake28
        And features AA-ZZ.
        Apr 13, 2019
      3. AdamMMS
        AdamMMS
        Do not go past the mark you aimed for. In victory, know when to stop.
        Apr 13, 2019
        SpaceBot likes this.
      4. TheoAllen
        TheoAllen
        It's easier to say than to be done :(
        Apr 13, 2019
    6. TheoAllen
      TheoAllen
      People who design a webpage and put an autoplay music on the web deserve a ban from designing a web.
      2. Corona~!
        Corona~!
        Quickest way to get me to leave a Tumblr forever is with autoplaying music. That or any news site that does that with their videos.
        Apr 12, 2019
      3. Elliott404
        Elliott404
        Is this why they got rid of myspace?
        Apr 12, 2019
        Corona~! likes this.
      4. WhiteW
        WhiteW
        Apr 12, 2019
    7. TheoAllen
      TheoAllen
      tfw, couldnt comment on someone's status update for some reasons. While the mods do it casually. Dont u think it's like a cheating? <.<
      1. OmnislashXX and MushroomCake28 like this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. Sharm
        Sharm
        I knew you were joking but I'm a big softy and I was worried that Mystic Enigma wouldn't. Sorry for ruining the fun.
        Apr 11, 2019
      4. Poryg
        Poryg
        Believe me, if he did take it seriously, it would've at least escalated into a small-scale conflict. Since he did not say a word to me, I think it's safe to say he did not :D But there's no need to apologize as nothing bad happened :)
        Apr 11, 2019
      5. Poryg
        Poryg
        In the worst case we have r/woooosh for cases when jokes fly over your head, which usually explains any misunderstandings arising from this quite sufficiently. At least on youtube. Not sure how many people here watch reddit :D
        Apr 11, 2019
    8. TheoAllen
      TheoAllen
      A (kinda) serious question. Why it has to be popcorn while watching a movie?
      2. Kupotepo
        Kupotepo
        Because some people like to eat popcorn while watching a movie. No one tells you to eat popcorn. You can eat satay while watching a movie if you want too.
        Apr 10, 2019
      3. Kuro DCupu
        Kuro DCupu
        Chips / crackers is also a choice, but it make noises. Also tradition.
        Apr 10, 2019
      4. SpaceBot
        SpaceBot
        Personally I like a good soul or two, but to each his own.
        Apr 10, 2019
    9. Darth Equus
    10. TheoAllen
      TheoAllen
      Adding easy mode to my game is like committing a heresy.
      2. Sharm
        Sharm
        I can't imagine that a skip boss battle button would be much different. It feels like a way to excuse a poor boss design and people who might have enjoyed the battle are going to default to skipping it because they can.
        Apr 8, 2019
      3. Windows i7
        Windows i7
        Persona 5 safe difficulty makes it so you can simply revive with full HP and continue as if nothing happened when you get defeated. That mechanic can even be abused to get otherwise difficult trophies on PS (like beating the Reaper).
        Apr 8, 2019
      4. Wavelength
        Wavelength
        If Easy Mode is Heresy, then difficulty must be a Religion!! :p Honestly, I don't think of too much in game design like a religious dogma that must be followed, but rather a set of guidelines that are all contextual. :)
        Apr 8, 2019
    11. TheoAllen
      TheoAllen
      Me: "My game characters are way too op with all of these perks. Way to easy I think, time to nerf?" | Testers: "I keep dying"
      1. bgillisp and MushroomCake28 like this.
      3. TheoAllen
        TheoAllen
        Ofc, the video LP is always the greatest feedback ever. Although I won't force em to send one since technically it's still around 20% of the overall progress.
        Apr 7, 2019
      4. richter_h
        richter_h
        What if I told you, I am one of the testers?

Also, based on what I've found over the course of tests, I admit some parts of theo's game would give some players a hard time. Readjusting difficulty may help; giving "easy mode" option is also a choice, but then again, I can feel the game itself is built with challenges in consideration, so that may defeat the initial purpose of the already implemented game design.
        Apr 7, 2019
      5. richter_h
        richter_h
        Why "git gud"? Because I also had that experience as well when finishing the game for the first time. Maybe it's only me, but, yeah.
        Apr 7, 2019
    12. TheoAllen
      TheoAllen
      Ppl tend to think the rate 5/10 is a low rating. While it's just really, objectively "average".
      2. bgillisp
        bgillisp
        And...that was the standard until the scale inflated in the later part of the 90's to what we got now.
        Apr 6, 2019
      3. FleshToDust
        FleshToDust
        Seems like 1-10 is too many numbers. Only really need 4. Bad, Average, Good and Great.
        Apr 6, 2019
      4. Milennin
        Milennin
        You don't want average for entertainment. Who even looks for something average to spend their money and free time on?
        Apr 6, 2019
    13. TheoAllen
      TheoAllen
      Tfw ppl throwing april fools joke and I'm like "What dehec are u doing during my midday at April 2nd?"
      2. Kwerty
        Kwerty
        lol. IRL if people do april fools jokes after mid day on the 1st, the fool is the original "fooler". Well, that's what I was brought up to believe anyway.
        Apr 2, 2019
      3. TWings
        TWings
        I hear you @TheoAllen
        April fools joke all over the place when it's actually April 2nd. I guess I just got used to it and don't believe any weird stuff anymore no matter the date. lol
        Apr 2, 2019
        Padramyr and Kwerty like this.
      4. OmnislashXX
        OmnislashXX
        Didn't you hear? The day has been moved to April 2nd.
        Apr 2, 2019
        Kwerty likes this.
    14. TheoAllen
      TheoAllen
      Stellaris was confusing at the start and almost dropped it. But after tried to hang around for a while, it's actually addicting.
      1. Bonkers likes this.
      2. Bonkers
        Bonkers
        I enjoyed it, but later play where you have to assign quadrants and it gets more into macro managing I started to loose interest. I'd need to relearn how to play it again.
        Apr 1, 2019
      3. TheoAllen
        TheoAllen
        Macro management is expected in any 4x game so I'm used to it lol.
        Apr 1, 2019
    15. TheoAllen
    16. TheoAllen
      TheoAllen
      Why I feel like the "Features" section in your game page is basically a TLDR version of the entire page.
      1. Wavelength likes this.
      3. Wavelength
        Wavelength
        I feel the same way that @Tai_MT does (and I love the way he parodied it). I don't ignore it, though. I use it as a tool to figure out which games I'm interested in. When a game is so starved of features that its designer feels the need to list "Engaging Story" to pad out the list, that's usually a sign that it's a good idea for me to take a Pass on it.
        Mar 26, 2019
      4. Tai_MT
        Tai_MT
        Personally, I like a Feature's List to actually tell me the features of the game. What kind of battle system is it? Does it do anything "out of the ordinary"? What kind of crafting? Grid based? Combine two items in a recipe based? Obtain crafting materials through exploration or combat? What are the main things the player will be engaging with? Brief synopsis of how that works.
        Mar 26, 2019
      5. Tai_MT
        Tai_MT
        For me, it is sort of frustrating when I want to play a specific kind of game, and can't find it, 'cause everyone is too generic. Run a search for "FPS RPG". You'll run across pretty much everything EXCEPT a first person shooter where you gain stats, have skills, and level up. Sometimes, I want an RPG that has a "skill tree". Think you can search for that? NOPE!
        Mar 26, 2019
    17. TheoAllen
      TheoAllen
      Making the every corner of my design have a meaning is hard. Part 2: Deciding whether to use flat or percentage stat boost.
      1. MushroomCake28
        MushroomCake28
        Solution: I use both (I make abilities add a flat amount to the parameter, and I make states buff using %)
        Mar 26, 2019
      2. TheoAllen
        TheoAllen
        So, passives using a flat boost? hmm ...
        Mar 26, 2019
        MushroomCake28 likes this.
      3. MushroomCake28
        MushroomCake28
        Yup. The thing is that a flat buff can be overpower at the beginning of the game but under-powered at the end. That's why I prefer % buff for states.
        Mar 26, 2019
    18. TheoAllen
      TheoAllen
      Making the every corner of my design have a meaning is hard. For example, can't seem to justify the purpose of dashing.
      1. Knighteriius and Romanticist like this.
      3. Heirukichi
        Heirukichi
        Why not? You can increase your speed when walking without having to run, even more if you run. The only thing that makes no sense is being able to make that your usual speed. To me being able to increase your movement speed makes sense, as well as being able to decrease it (eventually using some sort of stealth mechanic). Of course even removing it for good would make a lot of sense.
        Mar 26, 2019
      4. TheoAllen
        TheoAllen
        Why not would be bcz u keep pressing SHIFT. There is no single occasion where I'd slow down my movement in my game (at least). Not about making sense, but on actual when you need it. But now to think about it, even walking in many games absolutely have no use as well.
        Mar 26, 2019
      5. Heirukichi
        Heirukichi
        That's why I mentioned a stealth system. Honestly there is no game I can think of where walking is actually useful unless you gain a stealth bonus.
        Mar 26, 2019
        Prescott likes this.
    19. TheoAllen
      TheoAllen
      Is there actually a decent RM game with mode7?
    20. TheoAllen
      TheoAllen
      Don't you just hate it when u hit run/escape button, you failed and basically the enemies get a free turn?
      1. TWings, Tw0Face and Finnuval like this.
      3. TheoAllen
        TheoAllen
        Hmm I think this deserves its own thread.
        Mar 21, 2019
      4. Tw0Face
        Tw0Face
        Yeah, that's awful. Every game should have a 100% chance to escape set by default.
        Mar 21, 2019
      5. Kuro DCupu
        Kuro DCupu
        I think it's fair
        Mar 21, 2019
  • About

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

Signature

[​IMG]