Last Activity:
Jul 21, 2019 at 1:01 PM
Birthday:
Oct 24, 1987 (Age: 31)

Share This Page

Traveling Bard

The Bard, Male, 31, from Houston, TX

Veteran

You ever find yourself game developing at your local starbucks alittle too much? I'm starting to get weird looks from the staff... lol. Jul 17, 2019

Traveling Bard was last seen:
Jul 21, 2019 at 1:01 PM
    1. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      You ever find yourself game developing at your local starbucks alittle too much? I'm starting to get weird looks from the staff... lol.
      1. View previous comments...
      2. BloodletterQ
        BloodletterQ
        I just wonder if anybody gets interested in your work...
        Jul 17, 2019
      3. Traveling Bard
        Traveling Bard
        @The Stranger, it's like Seinfeld once said "I bought a cup of coffee and now I live here." haha but yeah I re-up ever hour or so. Buy another round or some snack.
        @BloodletterQ, I've only had two people actually come over and ask what I work on every day. One was like "oh..." & left. The other was like "Cool! Let me know when you're done, I'd like to play it."
        Jul 17, 2019
        MushroomCake28 and The Stranger like this.
      4. Jenova
        Jenova
        @The Stranger This has to be me. Everyday. I DO buy coffee every now and again, but for the most part, not unless I have the urge for COFFEE. The tables are pretty large and i've seen people buy coffee and take up 3x the amount of space I do. So I guess it's different for everyone. P.S. Starbucks IS my office. :)
        Jul 17, 2019
        Traveling Bard and The Stranger like this.
    2. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      Spent 2 weeks trying to come up w/ monsters for my game... nothing. I sit down with a 5E Monster Manual for an hr & now I have ~100 monsters
      1. Avery
        Avery
        Ah yeah, DnD. Such a great inspirational thing ;3
        Jul 16, 2019
        Traveling Bard likes this.
      2. Benny Jackdaw
        Benny Jackdaw
        personally, I try to think of the heroes of a story I write it before I think about the villains.
        Jul 16, 2019
      3. Traveling Bard
        Traveling Bard
        @Benny Jackdaw I start with skills or abilities that I think would be fun, wrap a character around that, and then I write a whole bunch of skills to counter those hero skills... and a few that the hero skills counter (to make the player feel smart). The problem is that all I have is concepts, not monsters. The MM gave me ideas to throw my concepts into. But thanks for the advice :)
        Jul 17, 2019
    3. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      About to go in for oral surgery. Gonna be a long few days of recovery... maybe I'll spend the time working on monster design.
      1. mathmaster74 likes this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. Traveling Bard
        Traveling Bard
        @Eterna, thanks for the well wishes :)
        @OmnislashXX, then I shall be a bard of letters! At least until the swelling goes down.
        @Sharm, seems scarier going in then it actually is. Thanks for all the advice!
        May 23, 2019
      4. Sharm
        Sharm
        Yeah, it can be scary, especially if you've never done anything like it before. In my experience being put under is actually underwhelming. The stick a needle in your arm, tell you to count backwards and you'll just start to feel a little sleepy and then wake up with everything done.
        May 23, 2019
      5. Sharm
        Sharm
        The worst part of oral surgery is the pain of recovery, which is more of an annoyance pain than a "make it stop" sort. Annoyance is probably going to be the main emotion, really. It's the little things that you can't do that will bug you the most. So it's not fun but it's an every day sort of not fun, if that makes any sense.
        May 23, 2019
    4. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      Designing monsters with an eye towards balance & increasing levels of player stats, equipment, and ability combos is quite tough...my brain!
      1. BloodletterQ likes this.
    5. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      Finished dev on the demo for the release event last night. Now to test... everything.
      1. Artificer and Finnuval like this.
    6. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      Two more days of dev left. I've already cut a bit of the scope to get where I'm at. What remains is ~3-4 days of work lol typical...
      1. Bonkers likes this.
      2. Bonkers
        Bonkers
        Yup it's crunch time for me too.
        Apr 25, 2019
    7. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      Wrote a generic story as filler for a demo in under an hour... Slightly worried it might be better than my non-filler stories lol
      1. Knighteriius likes this.
      2. Knighteriius
        Knighteriius
        Well a lot of games have better dlc content and side stories than they do a main story, so it's in good taste at least
        Apr 23, 2019
      3. Chrisx994
        Chrisx994
        I made my filler story my main project. It happens
        Apr 23, 2019
    8. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      *Shakes fist at Text and Choice logic* Tried to make re-usable Choices but alas, Text and Choice must be bound together. /sigh
    9. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      3 day weekend... let's see about getting this build out :)
      1. DesperateMeasurez likes this.
    10. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      Working on a game I've decided to release a demo build for the release event. Scope creep is real...lol we have 11 days left, right?!
      1. SpaceBot likes this.
    11. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      Got back to work recently & decided to see what the forums have been up to. Seems I might be in time for a new event! Thanks for the fire!
      1. SpaceBot likes this.
    12. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      I'm playing around with an idea for a menu-based strategy rpg for this IGMC. Wonder if that would be fun and/or interesting...
      1. bgillisp
        bgillisp
        You don't know until you try it.
        Nov 2, 2018
      2. Traveling Bard
        Nov 2, 2018
    13. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      Amazing weather (for Houston anyway) & I'm really feeling Tool today. Feel free to join me:
      1. SpaceBot and The Stranger like this.
    14. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      Getting some work in on the game today :) right after waffles. #WafflesAreLife #OldManBreakfast
      1. SpaceBot, The Stranger and seryphi like this.
      2. Philosophus Vagus
        Philosophus Vagus
        How are waffles an old man breakfast?
        Oct 8, 2018
        The Stranger likes this.
      3. Traveling Bard
        Traveling Bard
        They aren't. Old man breakfast is what I call going to a place, eating, and drinking coffee while sitting there until you finish the pot of coffee you were given.
        Oct 8, 2018
    15. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      The universe has granted me a fairly clear schedule this week... I'm going to fill it with game dev before something comes up! :D
      1. DesperateMeasurez likes this.
      2. bgillisp
        bgillisp
        I'll give you my schedule, I feel like the to-do list this week is using scientific notation.
        Sep 19, 2018
    16. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      Wish I had an assistant that I can say something like "Jonathan, clear my schedule." so I can work on my game. Other folks feel the same?
      1. Vox Novus likes this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. MushroomCake28
        MushroomCake28
        I would prefer a butler that I can call Sebastian.
        Aug 2, 2018
      4. Traveling Bard
        Traveling Bard
        @Poryg agreed, but an assistant would give it a more personal touch. Good old Jonathan :)
        @MushroomCake28 would he be "That Butler"? ;)
        Aug 2, 2018
        MushroomCake28 likes this.
      5. MushroomCake28
        MushroomCake28
        Of course! And he would call me "master Wayne"!
        Aug 2, 2018
    17. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      "So what did you do this month?" "I did nothing but test and fix bugs for the last 20+ days" "Is it ready now?" "Yea— no found another one."
      1. Frogboy and Marsigne like this.
      2. Traveling Bard
        Traveling Bard
        Starting to see why folks release games with bugs. They did their best to squash all the bugs but it's a losing battle. You will have bugs. Are they game breaking though?
        Jul 26, 2018
      3. Celianna
        Celianna
        I feel like gamedev is 20% actual game making, and 80% debugging.
        Jul 26, 2018
      4. TheoAllen
        TheoAllen
        ^ can vouch.
        Imagine that every one of your playthrough from start to finish, you ALWAYS discover one bug. Why they didn't come up all together?
        Jul 26, 2018
        Traveling Bard and Marsigne like this.
    18. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      Long week, but after I get off work I can finally tackle some more testing on my game. I'm excited :) also, I need to clear my schedule more
      1. Marsigne and SpaceBot like this.
    19. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      I fixed some bugs in my game and wrote another custom plugin. I think I might be getting the hang of this development thing!...lol
      1. Marsigne likes this.
    20. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      You ever fixed something & it broke 3-4 other things? /sigh. Also, I shake my fist at the choice list window placement! Let me set you! lol
      1. bgillisp
        bgillisp
        99 items to fix, 99 items to fix. Take one down, patch it around, 352 items to fix...
        Jun 19, 2018
  • About

Birthday:
    Oct 24, 1987 (Age: 31)
    First Language:
    English
    Game design and development. I also dabble in programming, mythology, scifi, fantasy, anime, and manga. Pretty hard core nerd when you list it all like that....haha