Last Activity:
Sep 21, 2019 at 6:20 AM
Birthday:
Oct 24, 1987 (Age: 31)

Share This Page

Traveling Bard

The Bard, Male, 31, from Houston, TX

Veteran

Nothing like starting your week with an early morning dental appointment lol Sep 17, 2019 at 12:23 AM

Traveling Bard was last seen:
Viewing thread A game without speech, Sep 21, 2019 at 6:20 AM
    1. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      Nothing like starting your week with an early morning dental appointment lol
      1. Wavelength
        Wavelength
        Yeah, that's pretty rough (especially if they're doing dental work and not just a checkup!). Keep something really fun or otherwise pleasing on the horizon, and just keep your eyes on that as you get through the week. :)
        Sep 17, 2019 at 3:08 AM
        Traveling Bard likes this.
      2. Traveling Bard
        Traveling Bard
        Yeah there was drilling and some science, but I survived... this time. Better to knock it out now than suffer later though. The fun thing I've got my eye on is a new build for a game I've been working on. I'll hopefully be posting about it in the next day or two. Thanks for the well wishes :)
        Sep 17, 2019 at 3:15 AM
        mishakoc and Wavelength like this.
      3. Wavelength
        Wavelength
        Right on. Better to be aggressive in dealing with your own health. Sounds like you've got a solid plan for keeping that good mindset up.
        Sep 17, 2019 at 7:51 AM
    2. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      Harvest moon on Friday the 13th.. Are prophecies about to be fulfilled tonight or is this the start of a B-Movie horror?
      1. View previous comments...
      2. Ms Littlefish
        Ms Littlefish
        Now the 14th. Emergency room volumes were typical for my Friday and the worst that happened was I kept dropping my pens in biohazard bins. :D
        Sep 14, 2019
        Shaz likes this.
      3. Finnuval
        Finnuval
        @Ms Littlefish somehow I read pants instead of pens... That wouldve been worse
        Sep 15, 2019 at 5:00 AM
      4. Wavelength
        Wavelength
        @Ms Littlefish Tell those biohazard bins to have some manners and move out of the way when you drop a pen!
        Sep 17, 2019 at 7:49 AM
    3. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      You ever think up a really cool/unique idea that you think is going to be HUGE and then find it's long running light novel series & anime?
      1. mishakoc and Ryisunique like this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. mishakoc
        mishakoc
        Making an open-world RPG sounds really tedious and like a lot of work. (but amazing at the same time)
        Sep 12, 2019
      4. Traveling Bard
        Traveling Bard
        I'm still debating on how I'd implement it. Open world rpg = tons of work, so I figured I'd probably have some sort of set framework and drop each sword on top of it like a module or a quest. Then I'd have some method of determining time, perhaps increase the variable after you successfully deal with one of swords. After that, it's all conditional branches & variable boss stats :)
        Sep 12, 2019
        mishakoc likes this.
      5. mishakoc
        mishakoc
        You say conditional branches as if they are easy to manage. I mean it'll be a ton of conditional branches.
        Sep 12, 2019
    4. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      Going to update an old thread with some game project progress shortly. Hoping for brutally honest feedback! :)
      1. Finnuval likes this.
    5. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      Alright! Time to get back to work. Let's get a forest area filled with monsters and skill challenges :)
    6. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      Feeling down today. Ended up taking off "sick". I want to work on the game but maybe I should just play some DQ11 & get my mind right...
      1. RouletteBunnie and PixelHeart like this.
      3. Ms Littlefish
        Ms Littlefish
        Sick is sick, doesn’t matter the body part.
        Aug 15, 2019
      4. SolonWise
        SolonWise
        I will tell a joke to make your day better: What do you get if you tape a stick of dynamite to a hedgehog? SONIC BOOM! :D
        Aug 15, 2019
      5. Traveling Bard
        Traveling Bard
        Thanks everyone :) feeling a lot better today. Especially after that @SolonWise joke, haha hope you all have a great day today
        Aug 15, 2019
        SolonWise likes this.
    7. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      Dawned on me just how much more work I need to put into my game... One thing at a time. I'll eventually finish as long as I don't stop.
      1. Vaena
        Vaena
        I feel you, lol. I tried making a to-do list and it got so long that I just laughed and said 'ok so for now whatever part I'm in the mood for'.
        Aug 8, 2019
      2. Traveling Bard
        Traveling Bard
        @Vaena same lol anything is better than nothing. I still make sure to work on stuff from said list though. New ideas go to the backlog. I want the game to be done at some point after all.
        Aug 8, 2019
        Vaena likes this.
      3. Vaena
        Vaena
        Doing a VN here and I am the sole artist, writer, and coder so it's... taking a bit, haha. I'm having fun, though, which is really what matters I suppose. At least it makes it so I can jump around if code aggravates me, if I get writer's block, or if I just don't feel like drawing that thing-a-ma-jig today.
        Aug 8, 2019
    8. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      You ever find yourself game developing at your local starbucks alittle too much? I'm starting to get weird looks from the staff... lol.
      1. View previous comments...
      2. BloodletterQ
        BloodletterQ
        I just wonder if anybody gets interested in your work...
        Jul 17, 2019
      3. Traveling Bard
        Traveling Bard
        @The Stranger, it's like Seinfeld once said "I bought a cup of coffee and now I live here." haha but yeah I re-up ever hour or so. Buy another round or some snack.
        @BloodletterQ, I've only had two people actually come over and ask what I work on every day. One was like "oh..." & left. The other was like "Cool! Let me know when you're done, I'd like to play it."
        Jul 17, 2019
        MushroomCake28 and The Stranger like this.
      4. Jenova
        Jenova
        @The Stranger This has to be me. Everyday. I DO buy coffee every now and again, but for the most part, not unless I have the urge for COFFEE. The tables are pretty large and i've seen people buy coffee and take up 3x the amount of space I do. So I guess it's different for everyone. P.S. Starbucks IS my office. :)
        Jul 17, 2019
        Traveling Bard and The Stranger like this.
    9. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      Spent 2 weeks trying to come up w/ monsters for my game... nothing. I sit down with a 5E Monster Manual for an hr & now I have ~100 monsters
      1. Avery
        Avery
        Ah yeah, DnD. Such a great inspirational thing ;3
        Jul 16, 2019
      2. Benny Jackdaw
        Benny Jackdaw
        personally, I try to think of the heroes of a story I write it before I think about the villains.
        Jul 16, 2019
      3. Traveling Bard
        Traveling Bard
        @Benny Jackdaw I start with skills or abilities that I think would be fun, wrap a character around that, and then I write a whole bunch of skills to counter those hero skills... and a few that the hero skills counter (to make the player feel smart). The problem is that all I have is concepts, not monsters. The MM gave me ideas to throw my concepts into. But thanks for the advice :)
        Jul 17, 2019
    10. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      About to go in for oral surgery. Gonna be a long few days of recovery... maybe I'll spend the time working on monster design.
      1. mathmaster74 likes this.
      3. Traveling Bard
        Traveling Bard
        @Eterna, thanks for the well wishes :)
        @OmnislashXX, then I shall be a bard of letters! At least until the swelling goes down.
        @Sharm, seems scarier going in then it actually is. Thanks for all the advice!
        May 23, 2019
      4. Sharm
        Sharm
        Yeah, it can be scary, especially if you've never done anything like it before. In my experience being put under is actually underwhelming. The stick a needle in your arm, tell you to count backwards and you'll just start to feel a little sleepy and then wake up with everything done.
        May 23, 2019
      5. Sharm
        Sharm
        The worst part of oral surgery is the pain of recovery, which is more of an annoyance pain than a "make it stop" sort. Annoyance is probably going to be the main emotion, really. It's the little things that you can't do that will bug you the most. So it's not fun but it's an every day sort of not fun, if that makes any sense.
        May 23, 2019
    11. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      Designing monsters with an eye towards balance & increasing levels of player stats, equipment, and ability combos is quite tough...my brain!
      1. BloodletterQ likes this.
    12. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      Finished dev on the demo for the release event last night. Now to test... everything.
      1. Artificer and Finnuval like this.
    13. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      Two more days of dev left. I've already cut a bit of the scope to get where I'm at. What remains is ~3-4 days of work lol typical...
      1. Bonkers likes this.
      2. Bonkers
        Bonkers
        Yup it's crunch time for me too.
        Apr 25, 2019
    14. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      Wrote a generic story as filler for a demo in under an hour... Slightly worried it might be better than my non-filler stories lol
      1. Knighteriius likes this.
      2. Knighteriius
        Knighteriius
        Well a lot of games have better dlc content and side stories than they do a main story, so it's in good taste at least
        Apr 23, 2019
      3. Chrisx994
        Chrisx994
        I made my filler story my main project. It happens
        Apr 23, 2019
    15. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      *Shakes fist at Text and Choice logic* Tried to make re-usable Choices but alas, Text and Choice must be bound together. /sigh
    16. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      3 day weekend... let's see about getting this build out :)
      1. DesperateMeasurez likes this.
    17. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      Working on a game I've decided to release a demo build for the release event. Scope creep is real...lol we have 11 days left, right?!
      1. SpaceBot likes this.
    18. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      Got back to work recently & decided to see what the forums have been up to. Seems I might be in time for a new event! Thanks for the fire!
      1. SpaceBot likes this.
    19. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      I'm playing around with an idea for a menu-based strategy rpg for this IGMC. Wonder if that would be fun and/or interesting...
      1. bgillisp
        bgillisp
        You don't know until you try it.
        Nov 2, 2018
      2. Traveling Bard
        Nov 2, 2018
    20. Traveling Bard
      Traveling Bard
      Amazing weather (for Houston anyway) & I'm really feeling Tool today. Feel free to join me:
      1. SpaceBot and The Stranger like this.
  • About

Birthday:
    Oct 24, 1987 (Age: 31)
    First Language:
    English
    Game design and development. I also dabble in programming, mythology, scifi, fantasy, anime, and manga. Pretty hard core nerd when you list it all like that....haha