Traveling Bard
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Wrote my first plugin this weekend to add a function to damage formula... only to realize that I don't really need it. #ProgrammersRegret
    Reactions: The Stranger
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    The experience you gained from doing it was worth the effort, though. :) Maybe you even earned enough to level up.
    Traveling Bard
    Traveling Bard
    Yay, I'm level 2! Thanks Stranger :) that's the way I'm trying to look at it. At this point, I am confident that I can make a plugin to do some oddly specific cool stuff if I need to. So, not really a waste of time.
    I would like to take a moment to thank yanfly for his comic series. I find it VERY useful from a developer's perspective. I am Ralph :(
    Coffee? *check* FF6 OST on loop? *check* Notes & Rpg maker open? *check and check* Alright... let's see about finishing this doodle ;)
    taarna23
    taarna23
    If the Distant Worlds version of Dancing Mad is not in that list... Pfft... no words... =P (Seriously, good luck on your work!)
    for some reason i feel i know you, or at least talked to you once before...
    Traveling Bard
    Traveling Bard
    about 3 years ago you wanted to team up on a project :)  at that time, I barely worked on my own projects due to work so I unfortunately had to decline. How are things with that project you were recruiting for? 
    Wyn Wizard
    Wyn Wizard
    well that one died shortly after cause school. and now since i can't log back into steam to allow my comp to use offline mode the current project is at a dead standstill.
    Getting rather frustrated with scene lag in MV. Even with the preload manager configured appropriately, the lag (my guess is the dreaded audio loading lag) before an animation with sound effects tears apart what was a smooth action cutscene in VX ACE. No matter what kind of wait x frames & other event magic I can't make it look like anything other than peak time Ogrimmar back in the WoW heyday... /sigh. I understand it's a work in progress, just trying to find my calm center lol 
    Hudell
    Hudell
    MV update 1.3 will soon be here :)
    Traveling Bard
    Traveling Bard
    Agreed. I think I'll just strip out all the audio and my wait x frame entries... and move on for now. I'll see what 1.3 brings to the table and go from there. On a debugging note, it appears to be on the retrieve call of a certain animation's audio SE during the cutscenes...which doesn't make sense since they are small... wonder if its due to the size of the cache at the time of the retrieval... must avoid the programming "rabbit hole"! Lol
    My fellow Devs, whilst at your local starbucks...have any of you encountered someone who wipes down their table with baby wipes? Apparently the guy before me did...this table smells super fresh lol
    Reactions: 1 person
    Alexander Amnell
    Alexander Amnell
       I wouldn't know about starbucks as I've never even been inside of one but that's one of those things that new parents tend to do with their first child; Before they realize that kids are just messy and that trying to eliminate all the germs and bacteria around them will actually make them more likely to get sick more often rather than less.
    Hollow 1977
    Hollow 1977
    Agreed. I once also heard that Purel and others like it do not actually make things less germy. This was from a student wanting to be a nurse.
    Audio delay in MV is brutal...thank you Galen & orlando for your plugin 2-punch combo  ;)  I plan to thoroughly test em out. Making lots of progress on the game lately and happy to see it come together into a rough demo lol Forward momentum! 
    Reactions: 1 person
    Traveling Bard
    Traveling Bard
    Yep, necessary evil if we are using Web Audio API for large sound files. Well, the way we use them appears to be geared more towards smaller sound files like sound effects, etc. But this way works for now...alternative would be to stream the bgm vs. decode & buffer, but that level of programming is a bit out of my skillset, lol. I'm going to see if I can sneak in some kind of logo as the loading screen for the beginning of the project and then use a different loading screen throughout the game. As long as my cutscenes aren't torn to shreds by buffering, I'm happy with pre-loading  :)  
    astracat111
    astracat111
    I noticed that when I used a phone and a web browser it had trouble with playing bgms all together, so I ended up having to use bgs for phones. : (
    Traveling Bard
    Traveling Bard
    Which phone OS and web browser? They might use different APIs all together. I still have a lot of digging in and learning to do before I can be sure of how to address the issues we are seeing here or even fully grasp the problem, but there is definitely some "quality of life" fixes that need to go in before we can deploy games with MV. As I learn, I'll try and add some plugins to help or maybe tweak those I see. I'm sure there are many others out there looking into the problems as well. It'll all come together! :)   
    Continuing work on my demo today and debating on the gameplay mechanics of random encounters vs. on the map encounters... leaning toward on the map. 
    Reactions: 2 people
    Iliketea
    Iliketea
    I would always go for on map encounters.

Random ones get annoying too fast
    Traveling Bard
    Traveling Bard
    Agreed. Games like Lufia 2, Earthbound, and Chrono Trigger greatly reduced the annoyance factor of encounters, imo. Earthbound especially with it's run away/instant win at a certain strength. I'm probably going to go with the more "Chrono Trigger segmented encounters" path. Rewards exploration instead of almost punishing it with an avalanche of random encounters. Thanks for the input! :)
    Trying to event a duel similar to Suikoden's one on one duel. It's looking decent. Common events are my friend :)
    Took advantage of the Steam sale to grab a few resources and the luna engine! Can't wait to put it all to use :)
    Going to Dallas Comic Con in May! Super stoked! Entire cast of Firefly will be there. Stan Lee will be there. Most of the crew from Star Trek TNG will be there! Totally dressing up in starfleet uniform cosplay ;)
    Going to Dallas Comic Con in May! Super stoked! Entire cast of Firefly will be there. Stan Lee will be there. Most of the crew from Star Trek TNG will be there! Totally dressing up in starfleet uniform cosplay ;)
    Dalph
    Dalph
    oh...wow, awesome! There's Stan Lee!

I hope you'll have fun there. :)
    busy busy busy. Work has been crazy lately. Hoping there is a light at the end of the tunnel that'll leave me with enough mental strength to work on my game after work. Currently my brain is pretty much snot afterwards...
    Lost a bit of steam this weekend when working on my game. What do you do to re-energize yourselves when you get like that?
    Solo
    Solo
    Meditation is good, if you're so inclined. It can produce everything from deep relaxation to the very fire of inspiration itself!
    Traveling Bard
    Traveling Bard
    Thanks for the helpful advice!
    Sketcy-Sketch
    Sketcy-Sketch
    Take a step back away from the computer for a couple days (maybe limit it to an hour) and live. It's the best inspiration, because you'll see things in day to day life that may give you a great idea. That, and computers can be VERY stressful, even if the person using it doesn't realize it. Stress is the leading cause of writer's block and demotivation. Stress. It's a killer...Sort of.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm heading back to Orlando tomorrow! Dad said he's going to take me to my favorite arcade and maybe Aquatica.
animated message windows <3
or message window that uses background images that can be animated?
Still need to fix some things, but it's going great so far :)
CEPjLJn.gif
just when I thought one of the greatest game of all time couldn't get any better, they announce a new dlc for it.
For anyone interested: there's another huge humble bundle with JRPG assets + a game jam starting next month - it's for a good cause, so check it out <3
Turning a specific vibe into reality is incredibly difficult. For instance, this song is one of the ones I listen to when working on my post apocalyptic project, and getting it's "feeling" into the game has been a real challenge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alvarez