RPG Maker Forums

Finnuval
Finnuval
depends on the game itself I think and the player , though I personally like it when a games doesn't tell me what to do and how to do it every step. Just the basics then let go
Eschaton
Eschaton
I want to put the player in the middle of the world with nothing but the clothes on their back. I want every corner of the world to be explorable by the player from "New Game," though going to some places might get the player character killed...

I'll use antepieces and setpieces to get the player situated...then they're more or less on their own.
The Stranger
The Stranger
Explain the basics at the very least. I find it frustrating when a game doesn't tell me how to actually play.
Finnuval
Finnuval
I do agree with The Stranger as far as getting the basic info one needs to actually play. Walking up to enemies and get killed, not a problem... get killed cause I don't know how to actually fight...problem same with everything else
bgillisp
bgillisp
I think you can get away with hand-holding as long as the player knows how to play. Gothic 2 had no issues with letting you explore a cave and being ripped to shreds in one hit by a shadowbeast at the start of the game, and it seems those who played that game had no issue with that either.
Eschaton
Eschaton
The Stranger
The Stranger
@Eschaton I guess it depends on the type of game. In story driven RPGs, I enjoy the basics to be explained in a more immersive way. VTMB did this nicely with its skippable tutorial area. It used a mix of lore based explanations and tooltips to guide you through that place. Didn't go into great detail, but it told you what you needed to know to play the game. It was connected to the main plot and everything.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Sheila Nagase

same caption as before. :3
"Be as honest as you possibly can as often as you can. It makes your lies much easier to believe."
Each new game means new ways to survive and you need to adapt when you have 10 different stores with lots of items for your adventure
It took really long to gather the 4 siblings to make this pictur- where did the fourth one go!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frostlord_Icy