RPG Maker Forums

Amarok
Amarok
first mod i install when playing a bethesda game is something that removes autolevel
TheoAllen
TheoAllen
If one thing that scales with you is the stat, then it sucks. But if one that scale with you is the encounter rate, like high level enemies would appear often the higher level you're, I'd say it's more interesting.

Obviously, when u at higher level, you have more skill to play with (unless you don't). Which mean, it's about how would u use those skills to play with new encounters.
Archeia
Archeia
Resident Evil 4 is great with "level/skill" scaling. The best ones are those who are not obvious about it.
Kyuukon
Kyuukon
Agree. I hate what WoW has become -.-"
richter_h
richter_h
Sometimes it makes me think that I'm not the only one who plays the game all along...
The Stranger
The Stranger
I sorta liked how they did it in Fallout 4. There were powerful enemies found throughout the wasteland, but new enemies also appeared as you leveled up. Not perfect, but I thought it was nice.
Reactions: Dalph
Dalph
Dalph
One of the issues I have with Final Fantasy VIII, alongside the lack of MP.
TheoAllen
TheoAllen
@The Stranger there're some high level enemies that are always scaled with your level. Means you will never get overleveled when meeting them. Granted, it's quite rare.
Celianna
Celianna
That's the downside of open world games. When you're allowed to go anywhere you please, they developers HAVE to make everything scale along side with you, otherwise you wouldn't be able to roam free, and would have to follow a set route.
FleshToDust
FleshToDust
I like it. Imagine playing pokemon. You go through your typical forest all fine and dandy. After a couple gym badges you decide you want to go back and catch some dudes. Wouldn't it be pretty fun fighting level 30's in pallet town when you're at the 6th gym badge? I'd like that. Would make grinding for pokedudes more fun.
bgillisp
bgillisp
Actually, they don't HAVE to scale an open world game. Gothic 2 didn't, and no one complained. Sure, it meant you could go into an area you can't handle, but you either quickly realized that or you figured out a way to survive it and get great items.
Scythuz
Scythuz
@bgillisp I prefer the old way too, it added a real sense of danger to exploring unknown areas and when it was done right you also had high risk high reward situations where you could get high level loot early in exchange for the risk of a swift but painful death.
Poryg
Poryg
Gothic 2 got deadly really soon though. These goddamn spellcasters that cast three fireballs and then a fire spell with large AOE really pissed me off.
Anyway, I like the scalingsystem in some games. For example tes oblivion; the enemies scale higher than you do, but you receive more money and when you can finally craft your own spells, the game becomes quite nice. Unless 100% chameleon ofc.
The Stranger
The Stranger
@Scythuz Have you played Elex? That game doesn't have level scaling. When you start off you have to flee from the vast majority of enemies or find ways to exploit them. It's only after you've managed to level up a bit and got better gear (usually from quests that don't involve combat) can you start killing things. I think it's made by the devs of Gothic.
Kes
Kes
I've been playing a game recently which scaled all enemies, and frankly it was tedious and, imho, added nothing except yet more length to battles that were already a shade too long.
Scythuz
Scythuz
@The Stranger I haven't yet but it is on my wishlist! My only problem is that I feel like I should play more of the gothic and risen series first.
Sharm
Sharm
I'm with you, I hate scaling enemies. I have started to actively avoid games that have it. I like going back to old places and absolutely trouncing everything, I like stumbling into a place far above my current ability and making a decision on pushing forward or turning back.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

We're almost done with the jam game! :D
I get scam calls all the time so today I gave them a piece of my mind. They hung up on me. Sweet revenge.
There’s a beehive in my wall
Just finished my midterms! Freedom! Alright, back to gamedev!
I confirmed my train ticket yesterday. I'll be heading to Orlando on the 29th... last time I went, I found this little treasure!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infusa