Comments on Profile Post by Touchfuzzy

1. Dalph
    Dalph
    AKA Charlie's Angels FF.

Regarding gameplay and bs? Probably.
    Regarding everything else? Definitely no.
    Aug 31, 2018
    The Stranger likes this.
  2. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    It really is because of two things: 1. The Final Fantasy series is not nearly as good as people think it is, outside of a few games (Final Fantasy Tactics is heads and shoulders above everything else). 2. Most of the things that people complain about, the girly-ness, the goofyness, etc, are its strengths. The game is unique in a way that the rest of the series just isn't.
    Aug 31, 2018
  3. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    3. The gameplay is superb, by far the best standard rpg gameplay FF has ever come up with. 4. The story is actually much better than people give it credit for.
    Aug 31, 2018
  4. shadefoundry
    shadefoundry
    So which are the best two? (besides tactics, of course)
    Aug 31, 2018
  5. chungsie
    chungsie
    I like to play FF games for the generic features of the RPG genre. not to say all RPGs are generic.
    Aug 31, 2018
  6. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    What bothered me about that game was the need to hit buttons in a cutscene if you wanted the good ending, when up to that point you had never hit buttons in a cutscene in that game, nor would you really know to do this unless you had a guide present.
    Aug 31, 2018
  7. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    @bgillisp To be honest, as much as I like the game, FFX-2 is the epitome of Guide Dang It. Half the game is missable, and even WITH a guide it is hard to 100% it in one playthrough.

@shadefoundry Tactics>7>10-2>5>6>9>15>12>10>3>4>8>1>2
    Aug 31, 2018
    shadefoundry likes this.
  8. KanaX
    KanaX
    FFX-2 is... well it has some good points. Putting it higher than X is a crime against nature.

Now the real question is: are you aware of the existence of FFX -Will- and would you like a FFX-3 game based on it as a premise?
    Aug 31, 2018
    Dalph likes this.
  9. Dalph
    Dalph
    I agree on Tactics but...X-2 much better than X?
    *screams internally*
    Aug 31, 2018
  10. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Personally, the guide-dang-its stop me from highly rating the game. If the plot or a key thing related to the plot is a guide dang it, I am going to drop the rating of the game a lot. Side quests...not as much.

I'd personally probably go:
    6 > 9 > 2 > 8 > 7 > 4 > 12 > 13 > 5 > 10 > 10 - 2 > 1 > 3
    Aug 31, 2018
  11. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    10 and 10-2 are low due to the guide-dang-its in the plot, and 3 is at the bottom for terrible boss design, especially at the end, and the story personally bored me.
    Aug 31, 2018
  12. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    And surprisingly, I actually liked 2, odd battle system and all. But I played the GBA version so not sure if that was different or not.
    Aug 31, 2018
  13. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    I honestly dislike X and the reason is actually the opposite of what most people's problems with it are. Most people hate Tidus... I hated nearly every other character.

I hated how much everyone was ok with sacrificing their friend for a few years of peace (Rikku and Tidus being the strong exceptions).
    Sep 1, 2018
  14. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    Also, the lore and the world are interesting, but it is also incredibly linear. I'm surprised at how much people talk about XIII being a corridor when X was pretty much a corridor as well.
    Sep 1, 2018
  15. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    Also, another reason I really like X-2 is it goes against that theme of sacrificing yourself for the greater good. Yuna's "I don't like your plan. It sucks." speech is actually great.
    Sep 1, 2018
  16. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Really? I just played it a couple years ago and I recall everyone was just blissfully ignorant that it was a sacrifice until the end, and once they learned it, they were all against it.
    Sep 1, 2018
  17. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    PS: Linear never bothered me. People act like FF7 is this grand open world game but it takes a really long time to open up. Until then, it is very linear. Midgard is nothing but a linear segment. And really so is the world map for the most part until you finally get an airship late in the game.
    Sep 1, 2018
  18. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    Everyone knew that Yuna would die at the end if they followed through with the standard high summoner stuff except for Tidus. That is actually why she didn't tell him, because she wanted one person to not treat her like she was dying.

They didn't now the whole one of the guardians becomes the fayth for the final summon which then becomes Sin bit though.
    Sep 1, 2018
  19. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    I don't mind linear as long as the game gives me a lot to do. X never felt like you had a lot to do other than move forward. (In all honestly the best part of X to me was Blitzball.)
    Sep 1, 2018
  20. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Honestly, ff7 was the same, move forward. The Golden Saucer didn't even open up until a ways in the game (disc 2 or very late disc 1, can't recall which).

Maybe though that is one of the reasons I didn't mind FFXIII that much, as I never considered FF games those with a lot to do or side stuff, but instead play for the story and mechanics.
    Sep 1, 2018
  21. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Of course, sometimes they got the mechanics wrong *cough* ff8 *cough*, but I still like 8 as the story on discs 1 and 2 made up for it in my opinion.
    Sep 1, 2018
  22. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Of course, I'll admit on disc 3 of ff8 I feel like they took any idea they had and threw them in a blender and hit blend, but that's another debate.
    Sep 1, 2018