RPG Maker Forums

trouble time
trouble time
Yep, it was called "Trigonometry" it started off talking about the Ancient Greek philosophers then it transformed into some weird number letter codes. You'd think they could just write the whole book in one language.
Alanood
Alanood
That's me reading a good book then coming across a sexiest sentence.
Philosophus Vagus
Philosophus Vagus
I don't know, normally I'm okay with offensive content as long as the story isn't straight up glorifying it, but: "...is a practitioner of an ancient form of magic called anthropomancy. He divines the answers to questions by the inspection of living human entrails." I'm just not sure I wanna keep reading this one.
Otto
Otto
Never happened to me, I don't let one single sentcence misguide my judgement. I have interrupted books before finishing them, but it has to be like 30, 40 pages in a row of pure garbage to make me quit lol
If I'm enjoying the book so far I don't let a single sentence condition my judgement
trouble time
trouble time
I dunno, id ve enticed to read a book with the sexiest sentance in it. Ive seen some sexy compound sentances before, but never the sexiest sentance.
Philosophus Vagus
Philosophus Vagus
@Otto I'm not saying I'm going to arbitrarily quit because of it, I've been enjoying this book. But it does give me a bit of pause, makes me wonder how dark the book gets.
Reactions: Otto
Sharm
Sharm
@Otto Sounds like a good way to read a lot of garbage. I used to be like that, but I got older and I just don't have that kind of time to waste. I would rather spend it on things I will enjoy the whole way through, and there are more books out there than I could read in a lifetime.
Sharm
Sharm
@Philosophus Vagus Yeah, I would quit. That's not something I would care to know more about, those sorts of things get stuck in my brain and come out when I'm trying to sleep. I haven't had the single sentence in an otherwise good book happen, but have a build up to one that made me say: "Yep, too far, I'm done."
Otto
Otto
@Sharm Sounds like a good way to miss good stuff. I mean, If I stopped at one sentence I didn't like I would have never got to know most of my favorite books.

But hey, what do I know, I'm sure most people are smarter than me and can judge a whole book from one single sentence :P
Sharm
Sharm
@Otto My point was that while I might miss out on something good, finding good things isn't hard at all when you have so much material to choose from. Plus, yep, I've done enough reading that I could decide if I like the entire thing from one sentence, depending on the sentence in question. It's a skill that develops pretty quickly from reading slush piles.
Sharm
Sharm
I'm sorry for implying that you shouldn't do that, it wasn't really my point, just that it was something I shifted away from as I got older and just stopped having as much patience for mediocrity. A bad choice for me, in other words.
Philosophus Vagus
Philosophus Vagus
@Sharm Imagine this sentence comes in at roughly 1/5 of the book when you have been thoroughly enjoying every page prior to it and had no prior reason to believe it would get so dark though. That's my current dilemma. I'm giving it another chance because the guy who supposedly does this isn't even introduced yet, I'm just worried it might take a bad turn from there.
Otto
Otto
@Sharm I didn't think you were implying that. To be fair, it looked to me like your main focus was for us to aknowledge that you are old and with little time to waste, you have read a lot of books and you know a lot of stuff, unlike than us mere mortals :P
Otto
Otto
But that doesn't fit with me because I'm also old and with not a lot of time to waste, I also read hundreds of books, and I also know quite some stuff (or at least I think I do), and I still think it's a little presumptuos to judge a book by a single line, expecially if you were enjoying it before that sentence came along.

But maybe that was just my impression...
Sharm
Sharm
@Philosophus Vagus It's a tough dilema. I know I have no tolerance for squick, and the nightmares I get are really vivid, so that's why I wouldn't go on, but that's not the case for you. When I'm watching/reading something that I'm currently loving but hits a moment like this where I'm unsure about the direction, that's normally the point where I start looking up more thorough reviews.
Sharm
Sharm
@Otto I'm also not saying that this kind of choice comes from knowledge of books, though that has something to do with it, more like knowledge of self. I've read enough to know what *I* like. Once again, it depends on the line in question. Entire countries have been changed by a single line, why not something small like my liking of a book?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

"How dare you!" is probably the most overused reason to start conflict.
Another day of mostly mapping in Make a Game in RPG Maker MZ: Episode 7 starting now! We're making a mansion! Come watch live and join in on the chat!
Game=Forest, Feature=Tree. There's little worth in looking at a tree except in its relation to how it affects the feel of the forest.
Been a while, guys. Despite being in college now, I'm working on Season's Promise as often as I can.
Helping my sister make her game
I hope i can get some freckles for the generator soon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saydas