Comments on Profile Post by Dalph

1. Sharm
    Sharm
    I don't get it. I want my phone to fit in my pocket, I'll settle for being on my wrist. But the whole huge phone thing baffles me.
    Sep 15, 2018
    The Stranger and GolfHacker like this.
  2. Sharm
    Sharm
    Maybe too many people are expecting their phone to replace their laptop?
    Sep 15, 2018
    The Stranger and Shaz like this.
  3. Dalph
    Dalph
    Smartphones are already replacing laptops, in fact they are slowly becoming tablets, that's why tablets are dying.
    The devices are getting more and more visual with 4k photos and videos and a whole advanced OS which will be rather clunky and limited on a tiny screen.
    Bigger screens also allow you to do more things (like reading) that's why customers prefer them.
    Sep 15, 2018
    The Stranger likes this.
  4. Dalph
    Dalph
    Also batteries are getting bigger because smartphone cpus are getting faster and so they require more power to last, hence why the big size of the device.
    Sep 15, 2018
    The Stranger likes this.
  5. Sharm
    Sharm
    I guess that's why smartwatches are getting to be so big too, it's beginning to be a pain to take a phone out of your bag, just like it is with a laptop/tablet/whatever. Some of the biomonitoring stuff in smart watches seems useful, but until they're smaller and don't need my phone to work, I'm not terribly interested.
    Sep 15, 2018
    The Stranger and Dalph like this.
  6. Sharm
    Sharm
    Maybe it's because my nearsighted vision is so good, but I just like my tech to be small and light and out of my way of living life.
    Sep 15, 2018
    The Stranger, GolfHacker and Dalph like this.
  7. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    These things go in cycles. Miniaturising things was all the rage, now it's making things large, and soon it'll be back to making things small. Perhaps they just don't know how to make these new, more powerful phones small at the moment. I don't know. What I do know is that I have never owned an iPhone. :)
    Sep 15, 2018
    Shaz and Dalph like this.
  8. Otto
    Otto
    "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers", Thomas J Watson, Head of IBM
    ...I guess some people just like to talk sh*t lol
    Sep 15, 2018
    The Stranger and Dalph like this.
  9. SOC
    SOC
    I certainly won't be buying big phones until the smaller ones like iPhone SE simply can't keep up any more. I'll make it last as long as I possibly can, I hate the bigger ones.
    Sep 15, 2018
    Dalph likes this.
  10. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    If they get any bigger people won't be able to carry them around easily, and we will be back to landline phones effectively.
    Sep 15, 2018
    Dalph and The Stranger like this.
  11. The Stranger
    Sep 15, 2018
    Dalph likes this.
  12. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Sep 15, 2018
    Dalph and The Stranger like this.
  13. Windows i7
    Windows i7
    I find that the Galaxy Note 8 strikes a nice balance between huge and still fits in my pocket. 6.3 inches is about the absolute limit IMO. Also, I never did agree with Steve Jobs on that one.
    Sep 15, 2018
    Dalph likes this.
  14. Sharm
    Sharm
    Fits in pocket is completely different between men and women. I suppose Apple assumes that all women will carry their phone in their purse. I personally hate carrying a purse.
    Sep 15, 2018
    The Stranger likes this.
  15. Dalph
    Dalph
    That's not only Apple making huge phones nowdays though, Xiaomi made the Mi Max 3 that is almost 7 inches and the Galaxy Note 9 is 6.4. A good percentage of modern smartphones is at least 6 inches.
    Sep 15, 2018
    The Stranger likes this.
  16. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    @Sharm : It doesn't even fit well in my pocket anymore. I find the weight of the phone is too much and I have to carry it another way, or it is in danger of ripping my pants.
    Sep 15, 2018
    The Stranger likes this.
  17. Sharm
    Sharm
    My current phone is sometimes too big, and it's the smaller version. I'm hoping that this one will last me for a very long time.
    Sep 15, 2018
    The Stranger likes this.