Comments on Profile Post by captainette777

1. FleshToDust
    FleshToDust
    Ye and the don't mean the same thing. Ye means you all as in when addressing a group or saying you in general terms.

It's a good word in my opinion and makes it easier to understand people. Today we sometimes have to say "when I said you I didn't actually mean you specifically".
    Sep 19, 2018
    captainette777 likes this.
  2. captainette777
    captainette777
    Lol if you're in the southern US like me, we just solved that by saying "Y'all". XD
    Sep 19, 2018
  3. captainette777
    captainette777
    I'm guessing you're right about that ye thing though. I think I got that idea from the fact that the old letter used for that term was called "thorn" which had a more th/gh sound than a y sound. Old printing presses didn't have that particular letter when retranslating old scripts, so they substituted with a Y.
    Sep 19, 2018
  4. Aoi Ninami
    Aoi Ninami
    You're both right. "Ye" was the nominative plural form of "you", but "Ye Olde Bunne Shoppe" has nothing to do with the pronoun, it is indeed from a misreading of the "thorn" letter.
    Sep 19, 2018
  5. Kes
    Kes
    This is one of the many reasons I wish people would not try and give their characters 'Olde English' as their speech style. There are usually so many mistakes it's cringe worthy. e.g. using 'Thou' with the wrong verbal construction.
    Sep 19, 2018