Comments on Profile Post by Dalph

1. Dalph
    Dalph
    If Mr. Quiet and Calm is gonna bite me, I will bite you, is my usual answer.
    Sep 20, 2018
    SpaceBot likes this.
  2. Poryg
    Poryg
    Um, maybe he was talkingabout you to the dog, not vice versa.
    Sep 20, 2018
    Scythuz, Dalph and Philosophus Vagus like this.
  3. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    I have a quiet and calm one, a loud and obnoxious one, and a stupidly needy one but none of them are aggressive. The loud one barks but his barks either mean 'play with me', 'I'm hungry' or 'squirrel/rabbit/deer/etc'. I don't say they're calm and quiet, I just say they are harmless; which is true.
    Sep 20, 2018
    atoms and Dalph like this.
  4. mlogan
    mlogan
    Yeah, my dog is a Boxer/Pitt mix, so someone who doesn't know him might interpret his loud boxing as aggressive. Which I like when I'm home alone with the kids and a male salesman comes to the door. But really, his bark just means "New friend! Play with me! Love me!"
    Sep 20, 2018
    Dalph and Philosophus Vagus like this.
  5. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    I'd like to meet this boxing boxer of yours. :p
    Sep 20, 2018
  6. Poryg
    Poryg
    I once had a dog bark at me for wanting to pet him. He was a large one. But he wasn't aggressive, he was just not too friendly.
    Sep 20, 2018
  7. Sharm
    Sharm
    Owners are terrible at knowing what their pets are actually like. Same with some parents and their children. Some people get way too biased and wear blinders.
    Sep 21, 2018
  8. atoms
    atoms
    I have a dog, he barks at all strangers and that can be interpreted as aggressive, but to me he still is calm. All dogs to me bark at times. But he doesn't ever bite anyone. All dogs I know do some barking to an extent I think. If he gets a good sniff of them then he usually calms right down after.
    Sep 21, 2018
  9. atoms
    atoms
    So in that situation I would probably say something like "Don't worry, he'll calm right down very soon", which isn't much different from what you were told.

But I still get what your saying too.
    Sep 21, 2018
  10. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    @Sharm I have to disagree. Mama knows when little Johnny is a hog's shank; chances are the apple didn't fall very far from that tree. Same with pet owners, it isn't that people are blind to those they spend the most time around, it's just that lying comes really naturally to the vast majority of humanity and is viewed more positively than admitting faults in ourselves or our loved ones.
    Sep 21, 2018
  11. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    When I was a teen we moved and I had neighbors who one of the first things they said to us was that their dogs were "good, quiet dogs". That first night though we were assailed not just by noisy yipping dogs half of the night but the very neighbors who claimed they were "quiet" barking obscenities back at the dogs.
    Sep 21, 2018
  12. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    This continued for weeks until I started taking their dogs on walks with mine so that they weren't on chains 24/7, bored and so tightly wound that they'd bark at a pin drop. the dogs stopped barking but the neighbors still barked at each other screaming at the top of their lungs on a somewhat regular basis for as long as I lived there.
    Sep 21, 2018
  13. Sharm
    Sharm
    @Philosophus Vagus Woooow. You were nicer about it than I probably would have been, but then again, I'm not a pet person at all. I still do think that people are blind, but in cases where it's the same behaviors they're also blind to their own problems and it extends outwards. You're right that humanity has a natural tendency to lie though, especially to ourselves.
    Sep 21, 2018