Comments on Profile Post by Labyrinthine

1. View previous comments
  2. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    I would probably gain more profit creating a game like this in a month, than using another 3 years to create a higher quality game without adult only content.
    Sep 24, 2018
  3. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    @Mystic_Enigma
    I absolutely agree with you. I just wanna know how many people would approve the method. Should've probably created a thread for this...
    Sep 24, 2018
    atoms likes this.
  4. Kyuukon
    Kyuukon
    Hm. I highly doubt it. I think you're underestimating the AO market. You actually need quality there too.
    Sep 24, 2018
    atoms likes this.
  5. OnslaughtSupply
    OnslaughtSupply
    I have had the same thoughts plenty of times before. I don't even play those kinds of games either.
    Sep 24, 2018
  6. hiddenone
    hiddenone
    Why make a game that you won't like?
    Sep 24, 2018
    atoms likes this.
  7. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    Well, you know how people click for "certain kind" of thumbnails in youtube just because it depicts a cleavage or something? The same thing seems to be going on in Steam. Of course, one could create just a few good looking areas in the game, and promote it with those. That would be completely distracting for the consumer and not moral at all IMO, but some developers earn well doing that.
    Sep 24, 2018
  8. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    @hiddenone
    I would make something like that just to gain money for my next real project. But here's the problem: If I were to create something like that, my company name would be stained by that game (at least for many people). And yeah, I wouldn't even want to create something like that, as a developer.
    Sep 24, 2018
  9. hiddenone
    hiddenone
    Honestly, if you'd be ashamed of making a game like that then just don't do it. You wouldn't be able to put in quality work and marketing that would let the game actually sell, so you'd probably lose time and money in the long run.
    Sep 24, 2018
    Labyrinthine likes this.
  10. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    @Kyuukon
    Actually, you're probably right. The AO genre has grown just like everything else there, and apparently there are already some "good" games made like that. The players might not buy just any game like that anymore at this point. However, with detailed AO art alone, one might get some games sold.
    Sep 24, 2018
  11. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    @hiddenone
    Yeah, this is pretty much just desperation. I have a new real project in the works, but I have no idea where to get enough money to get it done. The people who've played my games probably expect at least some original art and a fully orginal soundtrack at this point. None of that is free, although I'm able to draw the art at least partially just by myself.
    Sep 24, 2018
  12. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    I'd say you'd be better off making a mini-game and selling it cheap. Maybe you could do a little spin-off of one of the games you already made showing events say 3 years later? Or maybe even events at the same time as the game from another POV?
    Sep 24, 2018
  13. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Otherwise, I'd say get a side job instead. Unless that isn't an option for some reason.
    Sep 24, 2018
    atoms likes this.
  14. Kes
    Kes
    I think a side job is the way to go. I personally don't play AO games, so I don't know a lot about them (and don't wish to). But to make one would take time which would be unpaid, then the time, unpaid, to get it on Steam. Could be months before any income. A side job is paying you from your first paycheck.
    Sep 24, 2018
    bgillisp and atoms like this.
  15. atoms
    atoms
    If it's something that 1. You don't really have enjoyment in doing and 2. Is something on a moral level for you is a fight, I really don't recommend it. I mean it probably won't work out and sell as well as you'd hope because of those two reasons, it doesn't sound like the type of game you yourself will have any fun with either, if the developer can't enjoy any part of it, I don't see how any players would.
    Sep 24, 2018
  16. padr81
    padr81
    It's a legit way of making money. Wouldn't be my thing personally to make or play. It's kind of a shame those are the only games that sell but do what you gotta do to eat. Lots of people do jobs they are good at but don't enjoy to make money. You gotta ask yourself, would you rather do it than do whatever other jobs are available in your locality. If the answer is yes.. do it. If its no.. don't.
    Sep 24, 2018
  17. mlogan
    mlogan
    Personally, I wouldn't, because morally I couldn't. But I do know another RM'er who has contemplated this exact thing for these exact reasons. After doing research into it, this person found that it can be a profitable and viable way to make some money for a more serious game.
    Sep 24, 2018
  18. mlogan
    mlogan
    And while I would never support the genre myself, I can't say I'd exactly judge someone for doing it if it's the path they felt they needed to go.
    Sep 24, 2018
    padr81 and atoms like this.
  19. atoms
    atoms
    @padr81 Not against any of your other points here, though for me, just me, I would not want to do this. However, I want to be clear those are not the only games that sell. Video game company have been able to sell, many times, successful copies of games without this type of content. If you mean RPG Maker only games, I believe there are RPG Maker games out there selling better then those type of games too.
    Sep 24, 2018
  20. padr81
    padr81
    @atoms - I should have phrased it better, they aren't the only that sell, I should have said are the easiest to sell or fund from Patreon etc.. There are RPG Maker games that outsell them surely but they are few and far between unfortunately and most are over 2 years old since the clutter hit steam.
    Sep 24, 2018
  21. padr81
    padr81
    2/2 - The truth is and I don't like to say it, Labyrinthe or myself or yourself etc.. are much more likely to make a profit and a better wage off a game like that. Its not impossilbe to get a hit without it.. but you only have to browse through Patreon and rpg maker to see which games get the money.
    Sep 24, 2018
  22. Kyuukon
    Kyuukon
    It's not guaranteed but it's definitely easier, that's for sure.
    Sep 24, 2018
  23. atoms
    atoms
    @padr81 Ok, while I still felt to correct it, I know how easy it is to misword things as I can end up doing that too, so sorry. What you are concluding here may be right, but I'm sure it's possible for a RPG Maker game that is reasonable well liked and revived to sell more then one of those type of games by a developer who did not enjoy making it. Still, maybe I am wrong here.
    Sep 24, 2018
    padr81 likes this.
  24. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    @atoms
    There are really not that many RPG Maker games that sell well today. It was a different thing just two years ago. RPG Maker game requires completely original art today to sell a lot. It's more important than the actual quality of the game. A game can be bad even with original art, or good with RTP base... -> next
    Sep 24, 2018
  25. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    ... >Many people loved "Manifest" despite its RTP looks, but it wouldn't sell on Steam today (although with the ripped music it couldn't even be released commercially) Not even "To The Moon" might not sell as well (if it was released now) as it did back in the day, because it still looks a lot like an RPG Maker game... -> next
    Sep 24, 2018
  26. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    ...> Of course now it keeps on selling because it already has a huge reputation. Besides, it uses XP as the base (and very well too) which has not been used that much and might not be as off putting for players than, say, a Vx Ace based game, since the engine seems to be most widely used in commercial RPG Maker games, sloppy ones included.
    Sep 24, 2018
  27. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    But yeah, to conclude this, I would hate doing AO RPG Maker game. It would go against my morals. But I'm not ruling it out completely at this point. I need to figure out an easy and fast way to gain money for the development of my current project. I have already promised I'd complete it, and I wouldn't want to disappoint people who might be waiting for the series' finale. Besides, I want to complete it myself too!
    Sep 24, 2018
  28. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    One more thing. I can't really take a "real" job as a side job at this point, because I'm sick and confined. No chance going out for a job. Other thing would be maybe some freelancer stuff, like creating some custom graphics for payment to other people's games. I think at least someone asked me to do faces for him, but I had to put the offer down back then, since I was in the middle of development... ->
    Sep 24, 2018
  29. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    > and I'm not sure how much I'd earn doing that. I'm not the best artist out there even though I can do some basic stuff, so I couldn't put the prices too high. Or maybe I could with a lot more effort, but for that, the game would have to be interesting to give me the feels I need to create passionate, good art. It's more about the concept and the idea, not just the looks of a project.
    Sep 24, 2018
  30. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    To be honest, I didn't do my best custom art even for my own Magnum Opus. I had to set a time limit to myself concerning it, since the game was so big. Maybe I should offer to do faces and possibly some other custom art in the forums, for a price. Anyways, I gotta stop writing now. This must be my longest status update ever...
    Sep 24, 2018
  31. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    Oh yeah, one more thing. Does anyone know how much people usually ask, say, per custom face? A few dollars?
    Sep 24, 2018
  32. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    @padr81
    Just out of curiosity, were you one of my test players at some point, at least partially? Or was it something else we did? I just remember your name from some thing we did together.
    Sep 24, 2018
  33. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    I got an idea then. How about you write a book set in your game world? You could use it to either tell a story that occurred before everything happened, or a completely different story in another world. No expenses other than time, and you can self publish it on Amazon in the end.
    Sep 24, 2018
    padr81 likes this.
  34. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    @bgillisp
    Sounds like a great idea! However, I think my sister would be even more interested about that. She's the "second" Labyrinthine, my co-writer and honestly a lot better writer than me. Of course, that would mean she'd get the profits... however, she also has a spin off in the making, so maybe we could use that money for her game. She likes more about writing than game design, after all.
    Sep 24, 2018
  35. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    Or maybe we could release that spin off as a book instead of a game. Gotta ask her... even though she's done the table top base for her game for quite some time now, so she'll probably want to finish it in a game format. At any rate, I'm sure she could find some other idea for a novel based on this world.
    Sep 24, 2018
  36. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    It could work. Now I will warn you the kindle book/print book market is just about as flooded as Steam. But if you sold even 1000 copies at $3.99, your take would probably still be decent enough to get some $$$.
    Sep 24, 2018
  37. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    I self published a textbook through Amazon back in 2017. I get 53% of all proceeds if someone buys a copy. It varies though by print cost and such. Here is what I used, and you can see your take right away without agreeing to use them: https://www.createspace.com/
    Sep 24, 2018
  38. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    No NDA's too.
    Sep 24, 2018
  39. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    @bgillisp
    Are those books readable from the net, or are they actual paper books?
    Sep 24, 2018
  40. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Either. What they do is they print books as orders come in. Though your take is a little lower as a result. Also there is a page limit else they cannot bind it, so you might want to investigate that before you write a 3000 page novel that makes The Wheel of Time look like a pamphlet.
    Sep 24, 2018
  41. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    @bgillisp
    I think it wouldn't be nearly that long. Maybe 200 pages max. Another thing I wonder is how to make the contact between the book and the games, so that fans of the games could find the book- and possibly other way around as well.
    Sep 24, 2018
  42. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    That would be tricky I'll admit, though you can probably advertise it on the Steam page. Also you may wish to play around with the site or other options before committing, to make sure your take is worth it.
    Sep 24, 2018
  43. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    @bgillisp
    Maybe it could be said in the book's description, that it's based on RPG series. And in Steam, I could advertise the book in certain sections of the Labyronia game pages.
    Sep 24, 2018
  44. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Right. Though to make it cost effective you are probably going to have to go kindle release. I did math while we were chatting and you'd be stuck with $9.99 or higher at the site I posted for print copies else you would pay them for every copy you sell (which doesn't help your situation). Though I did the math with over 600 pages too.
    Sep 24, 2018
  45. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    @bgillisp
    9.99 would be pretty good. I'm just wondering, do books like that really sell...? I'm probably gonna have to get a lot more info about that Amazon thing, and think about various solutions for optimal sales. At least a book has one thing over the games I've made: They are completely original material from start to finish. Don't need to be afraid someone would complain about RTP or something like that :-D
    Sep 24, 2018
  46. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    @bgillisp
    At any rate, thanks for the idea! I'm pretty sure my sister will be very interested about this :)
    Sep 24, 2018
  47. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    You're welcome. I'll post a couple more thoughts on your thread as this status update is now almost tied for longest status update I've been a part of.
    Sep 24, 2018
  48. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    Sep 24, 2018
  49. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    I kind of hope now my sister would ditch her project (Solthan) as a game, because in a book form it would also be additional advertising for Labyronia Elements. It's a spin-off concentrating fully on just one of the five worlds of that game, and also sets part of the stage for Nerubis which is my current game project. So, I think we could save time and money not making it as a game. And money is something we lack...
    Sep 24, 2018
  50. padr81
    padr81
    Sep 24, 2018
  51. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    On another note, there are also side job options that still might work for you. Playtester (you'd have to build a reputation first though), artist, proofreader, writer, online tutor (I actually do that for extra money myself). Just some thoughts that might work out if you do decide to take a side job for immediate $$$
    Sep 24, 2018