Comments on Profile Post by Labyrinthine

1. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    ... and yet, there are so many people who enjoy Halo 1. All my points were valid (in my opinion). It's just that it wasn't my kind of game, but rather a near anti thesis of that. Subjective opinions do not equal truth no matter who wrote them, unless the flaws mentioned are the same all over the board, in positive and negative reviews.
    Sep 25, 2018
  2. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    I loved it how many people seemed to despise Breath of the Wild because it had three average reviews. These haters took only them as the truth, instead of relying on the 100 + positive reviews. Conspiracy theories were spread, like claiming that Nintendo were bribing all the outlets giving high scores. Of course, this claim has no evidence.
    Sep 25, 2018
  3. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    If I had relied on those average reviews only Or simply played the tutorial instead of the full game, I might've skipped the latest Zelda, which would have been a mistake, since many players crown it as the best open world game ever and for me it really was that.
    Sep 25, 2018
  4. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    The worse a professional reviewer thinks of a game, generally speaking, the more likely I am to enjoy it. I seem to subjectively prefer all the things that have been being streamlined out of games to appeal to broader audiences in recent years.
    Sep 25, 2018
  5. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    Also, I didn't like the new Zelda in the beginning. After I found about the weapon degradation system, I didn't like it at all. I thought they had made a huge mistake, and I almost put the game away after two hours thinking it had a fundamental game design flaw. That was wrong speculation on my part. Once there's enough weapons and stronger ones, the idea starts to open.
    Sep 25, 2018
  6. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    In other words, at the mark of two hours, I thought the game sucked. Then, when I reached the hour third and forth, I began to understand their decision choise. I had just speculated wrongly, just because I was a dumbo. In the end, you never run out of weapons and some of them are very durable.
    Sep 25, 2018
  7. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    @Philosophus Vagus
    Interesting approach. Yet, I'm sure you mean games that are not complete mess, such as Big Rigs. I've played a few games with an average reception. If I've enjoyed a game like this enormously, it's because even a masterpiece can divide audience. Near 1 was a good example back in the day (not automata). Its metacritic score was quite average, yet some people hail it as the best RPG ever.
    Sep 25, 2018
  8. Kes
    Kes
    Please do not turn Status Updates into an alternative to your game thread. That is not their purpose, and they are unsuited for any nuanced discussion.
    Sep 25, 2018
  9. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    @Kes
    Sorry, I've got his insomnia and when I try to stop writing I just can't do that. I won't add anything here unless someone asks something important. Then again, this entire conversation could be moved to some appropriate thread, if possible.
    Sep 25, 2018
  10. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    Also, I hate the fact BotW was the first console Zelda game with a proper quest journal. Suddenly, everyone was on the same boat with me, saying BotW had the most boring sidequests ever. Trust me, it's because of the journal, and some quests are really tedious. They could've made less sidequests with more interesting things to do and with better rewards.
    Sep 25, 2018
  11. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    Majora's Mask did the journal in a right way, although it was all but traditional way to do it. I'm pretty sure most fans agree.
    Sep 25, 2018
  12. Kes
    Kes
    It is not possible to turn Status Updates into a thread. And insomnia does not force you to start a new Update about your game.
    I remember your promise to post answers of no more than 10 words. If your insomnia does not allow you to keep to that, better to not post any at all.
    Sep 25, 2018
  13. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    @Kes
    Ugh, sorry about that. I think it should just create a new thread. Please don't write anything else here, people. I'll link the thread in this post, then.
    Sep 25, 2018
  14. Kyuukon
    Kyuukon
    Funnily enough, I tend to pay more attention to negative reviews than positive xD Probably a mistake on my part tho.
    Sep 25, 2018
  15. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    @Kyuukon
    It is a mistake. However, I'm the same. I usually always read at least one negative review first. But I only value reviews of completed games. Previews shouldn't speculate on how the full game is likely gonna be in its entirety, because the guesswork can be dead wrong. All the major review sites such as IGN play all their games through before the critique. Previews should concentrate only on the demo length.
    Sep 26, 2018
    Kyuukon likes this.
  16. Kyuukon
    Kyuukon
    Good point.
    Sep 26, 2018
  17. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Ha. If you think gaming review sites/magazines finish their games before reviewing I've got a bridge to sell you. Most haven't since 1990. They play as much as is possible to decide on their impression and go from there.
    Sep 26, 2018
  18. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    And honestly, I think a review that doesn't finish the game is valid. If they didn't finish the game because it is unplayable (errors), then by your logic they shouldn't review it. But everyone needs to know it cannot be played.
    Sep 26, 2018
  19. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    @bgillisp
    Usually "playing as possible" requires finishing the campaign at least. 100 % completion shouldn't be required, for that I agree. Of course, if there are bugs, it's understandable to halt the game, to info the audience it doesn't work.
    Sep 26, 2018
  20. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    @bgillisp
    Same goes for all entertainment such as movies. "OK 10 minutes in the 12 Monkeys movie I'm ready to review", is unfair. What makes the games different? Games contain music too, just for example. What if I reviewed your upcoming game after just 2 minutes of play time, instead of playing it through? Then, I'd complain about no character development and such.
    Sep 26, 2018
  21. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    @bgillisp
    I wouldn't, though. Because I'm reasonable. I'd play the campaign through for a review, even if I didn't like it at first. Because it could always change for better or anything. It's the job of the full-game critic. Previews are another matter of course, but even their length should be relative to the amount of content a game has.
    Sep 26, 2018
  22. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    One more point to get this through. What if you were to play some game that was really good, and decided to review it after 1/3 had been completed? Then, right after your glowing review, it would become clear that the game would break soon after your test period, making it unplayable to all players. In that case, your review would be distracting, angering the people who bought it based on that.
    Sep 26, 2018
  23. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    No. Just no. If I used your approach to feedback I'd be fired. I'm a teacher and I can't say "well, I'm sorry my 8 week recital of Beowulf in weeks 1 - 8 didn't go over well, but you didn't stay in my class for weeks 9 - 16 so how do you know what I'm like as a teacher."
    Sep 26, 2018
  24. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    As ti is, it is your job as a developer to hook the player. If you fail at that, the player will quit and leave a negative review. Those need to be looked at to see why you failed to make them want to stay with the game.
    Sep 26, 2018