RPG Maker Forums

Labyrinthine
Labyrinthine
I loved it how many people seemed to despise Breath of the Wild because it had three average reviews. These haters took only them as the truth, instead of relying on the 100 + positive reviews. Conspiracy theories were spread, like claiming that Nintendo were bribing all the outlets giving high scores. Of course, this claim has no evidence.
Labyrinthine
Labyrinthine
If I had relied on those average reviews only Or simply played the tutorial instead of the full game, I might've skipped the latest Zelda, which would have been a mistake, since many players crown it as the best open world game ever and for me it really was that.
Philosophus Vagus
Philosophus Vagus
The worse a professional reviewer thinks of a game, generally speaking, the more likely I am to enjoy it. I seem to subjectively prefer all the things that have been being streamlined out of games to appeal to broader audiences in recent years.
Labyrinthine
Labyrinthine
Also, I didn't like the new Zelda in the beginning. After I found about the weapon degradation system, I didn't like it at all. I thought they had made a huge mistake, and I almost put the game away after two hours thinking it had a fundamental game design flaw. That was wrong speculation on my part. Once there's enough weapons and stronger ones, the idea starts to open.
Labyrinthine
Labyrinthine
In other words, at the mark of two hours, I thought the game sucked. Then, when I reached the hour third and forth, I began to understand their decision choise. I had just speculated wrongly, just because I was a dumbo. In the end, you never run out of weapons and some of them are very durable.
Labyrinthine
Labyrinthine
@Philosophus Vagus
Interesting approach. Yet, I'm sure you mean games that are not complete mess, such as Big Rigs. I've played a few games with an average reception. If I've enjoyed a game like this enormously, it's because even a masterpiece can divide audience. Near 1 was a good example back in the day (not automata). Its metacritic score was quite average, yet some people hail it as the best RPG ever.
Kes
Kes
Please do not turn Status Updates into an alternative to your game thread. That is not their purpose, and they are unsuited for any nuanced discussion.
Labyrinthine
Labyrinthine
@Kes
Sorry, I've got his insomnia and when I try to stop writing I just can't do that. I won't add anything here unless someone asks something important. Then again, this entire conversation could be moved to some appropriate thread, if possible.
Labyrinthine
Labyrinthine
Also, I hate the fact BotW was the first console Zelda game with a proper quest journal. Suddenly, everyone was on the same boat with me, saying BotW had the most boring sidequests ever. Trust me, it's because of the journal, and some quests are really tedious. They could've made less sidequests with more interesting things to do and with better rewards.
Labyrinthine
Labyrinthine
Majora's Mask did the journal in a right way, although it was all but traditional way to do it. I'm pretty sure most fans agree.
Kes
Kes
It is not possible to turn Status Updates into a thread. And insomnia does not force you to start a new Update about your game.
I remember your promise to post answers of no more than 10 words. If your insomnia does not allow you to keep to that, better to not post any at all.
Labyrinthine
Labyrinthine
@Kes
Ugh, sorry about that. I think it should just create a new thread. Please don't write anything else here, people. I'll link the thread in this post, then.
Kyuukon
Kyuukon
Funnily enough, I tend to pay more attention to negative reviews than positive xD Probably a mistake on my part tho.
Labyrinthine
Labyrinthine
@Kyuukon
It is a mistake. However, I'm the same. I usually always read at least one negative review first. But I only value reviews of completed games. Previews shouldn't speculate on how the full game is likely gonna be in its entirety, because the guesswork can be dead wrong. All the major review sites such as IGN play all their games through before the critique. Previews should concentrate only on the demo length.
Kyuukon
Kyuukon
Good point.
bgillisp
bgillisp
Ha. If you think gaming review sites/magazines finish their games before reviewing I've got a bridge to sell you. Most haven't since 1990. They play as much as is possible to decide on their impression and go from there.
bgillisp
bgillisp
And honestly, I think a review that doesn't finish the game is valid. If they didn't finish the game because it is unplayable (errors), then by your logic they shouldn't review it. But everyone needs to know it cannot be played.
Labyrinthine
Labyrinthine
@bgillisp
Usually "playing as possible" requires finishing the campaign at least. 100 % completion shouldn't be required, for that I agree. Of course, if there are bugs, it's understandable to halt the game, to info the audience it doesn't work.
Labyrinthine
Labyrinthine
@bgillisp
Same goes for all entertainment such as movies. "OK 10 minutes in the 12 Monkeys movie I'm ready to review", is unfair. What makes the games different? Games contain music too, just for example. What if I reviewed your upcoming game after just 2 minutes of play time, instead of playing it through? Then, I'd complain about no character development and such.
Labyrinthine
Labyrinthine
@bgillisp
I wouldn't, though. Because I'm reasonable. I'd play the campaign through for a review, even if I didn't like it at first. Because it could always change for better or anything. It's the job of the full-game critic. Previews are another matter of course, but even their length should be relative to the amount of content a game has.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

tfw, after your game being intensively played by many people, after 5 years, patch after patch released, suddenly an innocent person reported another bug.
"Never let a sense of morals/
Prevent me from doing what is right"
- Clutch
OMFG. I had typed \fiPhilosophia Hermetica\fi in a forum post and didn't notice it for AN HOUR.

(Anyone else ever catch themselves doing this?)
Stream will be live shortly with a guest stream! Feel free to drop by and listen to whatever weird stories we're telling~
fighting game fans might really enjoy my game battle wise, and I feel non fighting fans might learn some stuff. thanks row system. pokes, neutral, and zoning time...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TsuruharaYuki