Comments on Profile Post by Labyrinthine

1. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    Like the regenerating health "Improvement" which is really just a challenge-breaking way to get more health. I also dislike games that are nothing but cutscenes and doesn't require any skill from the player. Games were rarely like that before the indie's time. If you want to tell a story instead of a real game, write a book or use Visual Novel Maker >.<
    Sep 26, 2018
  2. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    Just before someone gets angry again because I don't see super low challenge (etc.) as "improvement", this is just my opinion. I've been playing since -86. Even as a little kid, I played all my games through even if I had to be stuck for ages.
    Sep 26, 2018
  3. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    Besides, getting stuck did lengthen the play time, and it was even better if the game was lengthy AND full of "where to go" moments rightly made. At least I hadn't waste my money there, which was common back then. Some games were just 1-3 hours long with bad gameplay and I was always disappointed and went to exchange.
    Sep 26, 2018
  4. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    I don't mind regenerating health, but there's many things in modern games that I can't stand too. Shallow crafting, building, fishing, and other such time sinks are things I can't stand. Why does every RPG have to be an open world game nowadays? Why do they all have some stupid crafting system?
    Sep 26, 2018
    Archeia likes this.
  5. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Is it mostly AAA games that you feel ruined the industry or many of the indies too? There are many indie games that are well-made and provide a nice sense of challenge. Have you ever tried Darkest Dungeon? And how about Steamworld Heist? They both are very strategic turn-based combat games that require a lot of preparation prior to the missions (Darkest Dungeon especially).
    Sep 26, 2018
  6. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    @The Stranger
    I don't like "true open worlds" either, but I love the old Zelda formula. BotW too is easily the best true open world game out there, because of the physics and that handcrafted huge world. The main quest also compliments it very well. Every normal stone has been placed with care and thought. As for indie RPG.s, it seems extreme linearity is more common here than open (or semi-open) worlds.
    Sep 26, 2018
  7. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    I prefer hub-based rpgs. So, you have a few hub areas which are open to explore, and a bunch of more structured areas\missions.
    Sep 26, 2018
  8. Labyrinthine
    Labyrinthine
    @The Stranger
    My last game is like that, even though the areas outside the hubworld in this case are as big as the hubworld itself. Here, you open new worlds from the hub by completing the other areas and exploring the hub. I think whether the hubworld is useful depends. If it's required for an idea, then it's a good idea to use it!
    Sep 26, 2018
    The Stranger likes this.
  9. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    One thing I honestly hate about modern games is insane HP pools for bosses, or bosses that take up 5256 forms. I liked the older games where most bosses were not HP sponges, and sometimes they even had only one form!
    Sep 26, 2018
  10. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    For example the old Gold box Games. Most of those final boss battles the boss had just one form, and the HP total wasn't that high either. The challenge was surviving the attacks it could use, and/or survive all the hencemen chipping at your HP as well. Wizardry is pretty similar too with the boss battles as well.
    Sep 26, 2018
    The Stranger likes this.
  11. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    PS: This might make a good thread too "What can't you stand in modern gaming? And what do you like in modern gaming?.
    Sep 26, 2018
    Matseb2611 and The Stranger like this.
  12. Poryg
    Poryg
    I actually like HP regeneration, since it has a lot of potential in the game.
    1. more room for HP management. Less tanky builds may now tank damage. Brutal hits are punishing, but you can still recover from it. And in some games you have strategic choices between active heal and passive heal, depending on for example your evasive skill.
    Sep 26, 2018
  13. Poryg
    Poryg
    2. In some games you don't need to waste time heading back to the village to get some heal. It was incredibly annoying in Gothic 1, where you couldn't even block animal's attacks, to search for someone that would heal you. In Gothic 2 it was even worse, although there it wasn't due to unblockable animals, but unblockable magic.
    Sep 26, 2018
    Matseb2611 likes this.
  14. Poryg
    Poryg
    And 3. There's a ton of strategic potential due to unlimited possibilities it provides. For example in Conquest of Elysium 3 it could save your dead units as long as they did not have less than -25% HP. And it's an interesting strategic asset to both you and enemies, because attacking regenerative beasts with weak armies was pointless, except for high damage output for example. You can add other benefits.
    Sep 26, 2018
    Matseb2611 likes this.
  15. Poryg
    Poryg
    I don't know why people mess up the game balance due to the influence of HP regen (like modern Call of duty, that's awful), but it's definitely way more than just extra HP. And even a pretty basic use of it with row formations and using characters to shield weakened ones while these are healing... If balanced well, it can provide a lot of fun.
    Sep 26, 2018
    Matseb2611 likes this.
  16. Dreadshadow
    Dreadshadow
    Well, you got a point. First off DLCs. Secondly Episodes. Also patches. Back in the days we were buying a FULL game working out of the box. If not, companies would close. Technology limits were also pushing the imagination of the developers to their limits. Loved my Amiga 500 back then. I still do. But not all modern games suck.
    Sep 27, 2018
    bgillisp likes this.