Comments on Profile Post by Dalph

1. Dalph
    Dalph
    Like for example I read that in South Korea you can't spit in public and in Singapore you can't have chewingum. You can get fined or even in jail for things that might seem normal in other countries.
    Oct 20, 2018
    SpaceBot, Amane Kagari and Marsigne like this.
  2. Mystic_Enigma
    Mystic_Enigma
    "Embrace other cultures, they said! It's an enriching experience, they said!"

I'm not one for far-off travel, foreign lands frighten me lately, too many stories with unpleasant endings, revolve around it...
    Oct 20, 2018
    Dalph likes this.
  3. TWings
    TWings
    Believe it or not, but spiting public is not considered proper behavior in a lot of countries (except China).
    Oct 20, 2018
    Matseb2611, Amane Kagari and Dalph like this.
  4. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    @TWings yeah, but there is a big difference between improper behavior and illegal.

Incidentaly, it is illegal to carry an ice cream cone in your back pocket in Alabama. Why this law exists, who the hell knows? It is on the books though...makes you wonder doesn't it?
    Oct 20, 2018
  5. Kupotepo
    Kupotepo
    Knowledge is power. Traveling to a different county is fun and living changing moment.
    @Mystic_Enigma Being sensible and concern for a personal safety when traveling to anyplace is rational.

Sorry for nitpicking; When you perceived as 'normal' things, it is always true for others. I think you would agree.
    Oct 20, 2018
    Amane Kagari and Dalph like this.
  6. Kupotepo
    Kupotepo
    I think of a fun activity when you travel to other countries. You ask the people there for why do they do?

Some of the customs or behaviors are based on logic and the other customs are based on superstition.
    Oct 20, 2018
    Amane Kagari, Marsigne and Dalph like this.
  7. Amane Kagari
    Amane Kagari
    In Japan, respect is everything as in most Asian countries. Though Japan don't have a written "law" that actually tells you that bad etiquette are illegal, you still have to be mindful unless you like being yelled at or sometimes even being kicked out of places for what you think might be just "minor" but to them it's a big deal.
    Oct 20, 2018
    Dalph, Kupotepo and Marsigne like this.
  8. Amane Kagari
    Amane Kagari
    Some goes to Japan ignore etiquette using "it's a free world" or "free speech" as cover for their ignorance and thus only adding more fears of "foreigners" to some parts of Japan that's popular with foreigners.
    Oct 20, 2018
    Dalph likes this.
  9. Amane Kagari
    Amane Kagari
    And in Thailand and certain other countries, you have to be mindful even of the way you sit because you never want to show the underside of your foot. You may be punished by lashings for something simple as your foot or you may even risk being killed. (People can get VERY angry and offended because to them, you're cursing them.)
    Oct 20, 2018
    Dalph and Kupotepo like this.
  10. Amane Kagari
    Amane Kagari
    Learning other countries' customs and laws can mean the difference of life and death (or if not, a literal pain in the butt.) in some cases.
    Oct 20, 2018
    Dalph and Marsigne like this.
  11. Kupotepo
    Kupotepo
    @Amane Kagari, if you do not mind, could I ask you where in Thailand? I used to live in Thailand. Nice to meet a new member.

Sorry for nitpicking your comment, freedom of speech in every country is not absolute. If you do not believe me, you can read in the law book. There has an exception clause.
    Oct 20, 2018
    Dalph likes this.
  12. Amane Kagari
    Amane Kagari
    @Kupotepo I'm not talking about legality of things. I mean like customs-wise. But I do know most parts of Asia are really sensitive about the foot thing. And the punishment part isn't in Thailand, I meant certain other places. Sorry I should've clarified. I didn't mean to make presumptions. So please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Oct 20, 2018
    Dalph and Kupotepo like this.
  13. Kupotepo
    Kupotepo
    @Amane Kagari I agree with you that some countries integrated religious law, a blasphemy law into their code of law. However, some countries used a secular code of law.

That is why the forum does not allow discussion about religion and politic because people take personal offense.
    Oct 20, 2018
    Dalph and Amane Kagari like this.
  14. Amane Kagari
    Amane Kagari
    Btw, I too am originally from Asia so I know somethings. But not much. Just from what I'm taught.
    Oct 20, 2018
    Dalph likes this.
  15. Kupotepo
    Kupotepo
    @Amane Kagari, thank you for explaining so I understand; do not concern about it. Miscommunication happens always the time.

There are many Asian people here and many can understand what your logic are coming from.
    Oct 20, 2018
    Dalph and Amane Kagari like this.