Comments on Profile Post by Parallax Panda

1. samkfj
    samkfj
    You ever tried to create a screenplay? This way you can try to imagine things better.
    Oct 23, 2018
    Parallax Panda and Marsigne like this.
  2. samkfj
  3. Kupotepo
    Kupotepo
    First, start writing any things on paper or word processing. Next, organize your thoughts. Finally, put it in the game. Remember you are not a professional writer and you can write that is good enough for me.
    Oct 23, 2018
    Parallax Panda and Marsigne like this.
  4. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @samkfj Not specifically, but I've written scripts for my games in the past which also contained the on screen action, not only the dialogue. Does that count?

I'll take a look at your link too though. Thanks! :D
    Oct 23, 2018
    samkfj likes this.
  5. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Kupotepo Yeah I'm aware I don't really need to write a best seller, but...

I've a problem with getting started. And, if I get started I've a problem with deciding how to continue. I usually have a few loose ideas but I'm terrible at making a decision and running with it.
    Oct 23, 2018
  6. FrozenNorseman
    FrozenNorseman
    If you have a problem getting started, try beginning "in media res."

Dump your reader down into the middle of the plot without any exposition, and then fill in the missing parts later - through flashbacks, dialogue etc.

Your story could start in the middle of a firefight or battle, and then expand on why your hero is there, who he is fighting and for what reason.
    Oct 23, 2018
    Finnuval, Parallax Panda and Kwerty like this.
  7. FrozenNorseman
    FrozenNorseman
    This technique might work better for you, especially if you, like me, think in visuals and scenes, and not necessarily in a linear A to B narrative.

Best of luck!
    - FN
    Oct 23, 2018
    Finnuval and Parallax Panda like this.
  8. FrozenNorseman
    FrozenNorseman
    (Alternatively, you can ask the boards here to provide you with an opening sentence and roll with the one that inspires you the most :p)
    Oct 23, 2018
    Finnuval likes this.
  9. Kupotepo
    Kupotepo
    @Parallax Panda, I am bad at making a decision too. If you do not write something, how people here can help you to decide. I mean by posting at the idea and prototype section. I almost get you into trouble.
    By not making a decision, you already made a decision not to decide. Please just writing something and people here can help fit it into a story.
    Oct 23, 2018
    Parallax Panda likes this.
  10. OmnislashXX
    OmnislashXX
    There really isn't an answer to this question. You either do or you don't. Q
    Oct 23, 2018
  11. megumi014
    megumi014
    If it is a planned story no idea, I'm bad at those too lol but if it is any story I just start with anything and see where it leads me :p for example: someone walking down some stairs... what happens next? I like to not know what happens next
    Oct 23, 2018
  12. samkfj
    samkfj
    @megumi014 Well... they could fall down said stairs... that would really suck.
    Oct 23, 2018
    megumi014 likes this.
  13. OmnislashXX
    OmnislashXX
    Writing starts in your mind. What are you imagining? Can you picture the scene? Can you write what it's about? The scenery, what the character looks like, how their feeling.
    Oct 23, 2018
  14. OmnislashXX
    OmnislashXX
    For instance, I made a story about a girl who climbs out on the ledge of a three story building, in nothing but her underwear and then loses her underwear. This was while I was in the hospital.
    Oct 23, 2018
  15. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    The first thing is to have a solid idea. Not all ideas make for good plots, or even if they do, doesn't necessarily mean you'd be able to turn it into a good plot (we all have our limits after all and some topics I can't write at all). Once you have a promising idea, decide on the key scenes and key characters. After that, you connect these key scenes together.
    Oct 23, 2018
    Parallax Panda and Kwerty like this.
  16. megumi014
    megumi014
    @samkfj lol I had exactly the same picture in mind with the stairs xD but they could also be walked down by a bride on her wedding day, someone in a rush to get to work, by a pirate going to the cargo for more weapons in the middle of a battle, by a thoef trying to be quiet... so many options!
    Oct 23, 2018
    samkfj likes this.
  17. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @FrozenNorseman It's worth a try I guess. If I don't have anything prepared by November 1st I'm going to give it a go.
    Oct 23, 2018
  18. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Kupotepo I'm not against asking for help on the forums but I know I'd want something more substantial to go on if I were to help someone else. So until I think I got enough I'll not bother making a topic.
    Oct 23, 2018
  19. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Matseb2611 One of my limitations is obviously getting stuck all the time, I'm trying to overcome that one though.

How did you come up with and finalize the plot/story for Incitement 1, 2 and 3? I'm currently thinking about cyber punk and sci-fi and I know that's something you've dabble in a lot in your games.
    Oct 23, 2018
    Matseb2611 likes this.
  20. Padramyr
    Padramyr
    I've been writing stories for over ten years now and the best tip I can give you: Don't start at the beginning. Like Norseman said start in the middle of action. If you have a scene in mind that absolutely has to be there start with writing that. And then think how this scene came about and what happens afterwards :)
    Oct 23, 2018
    Parallax Panda and Finnuval like this.
  21. Finnuval
    Finnuval
    We all have our own approaches so I don't think there is a 'Best' way, but I concur with Norseman and Padramyr.
    Oct 23, 2018
  22. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    I guess I have to come up with a good scene to start from then. I'll give it a try :)
    Oct 23, 2018
    Padramyr and Finnuval like this.
  23. Finnuval
    Finnuval
    one more advice (I find usefull anyway) : sometimes you get real silly ideas that don't fit but won't go out of your head... write them down on a different page. It can clear the mind and sometimes actually have good little usefull bits in them too ;)
    Oct 23, 2018
  24. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    To me, all my ideas are silly or won't really fit the original narrative one way or another. Just another thing I'm always stressing about. I usually write it down anyway because it's better than nothing.

...although it often makes me cringe.
    Oct 23, 2018
    Finnuval likes this.
  25. Finnuval
    Finnuval
    Well stressing out is never a good thing. Maybe listen to some music as you write? For me it works others get cazy that way
    Oct 23, 2018
  26. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    I can listen to music while I think about things but not while I write. I'll have to think before I can write though so maybe some music would be good. Not to worry, I'm not really stressed right now. I've decided to take my time with my next project and not think of it as a product to be sold.
    Oct 23, 2018
    Finnuval likes this.
  27. Finnuval
    Finnuval
    I can listen to music doing anything, reallt helps me focus, but that's not for everyone xD But like you said, maybe before writing might work. Never think of it as a product, think of it as something fun for yourself to enjoy. Judge it when it's done not before of during ;)
    Oct 24, 2018
  28. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    @Parallax Panda : Well, for Inc 1, my goal at the very start was to make a fun sci-fi game that would span alien worlds and would take place in a number of interesting locations. So I came up with a handful of main characters, the general idea of humans living among aliens, and some of the locations I wanted to include.
    Oct 24, 2018
  29. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    After that I began coming up with a possible problem that could occur with a setting like that. What kind of threats are there, how would something like this even start (integrating humans into an alien society), and perhaps would there be someone opposing this. This gradually led me to a plot idea, so keeping in mind the locations I wanted to include, I designed a chapter-by-chapter plan.
    Oct 24, 2018
  30. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    With 2 and 3 it was easier as I just needed to build up on where Inc 1 left off, and the world building for the most part was already done. :)
    Oct 24, 2018
  31. Kupotepo
    Kupotepo
    @Parallax Panda, you still can write on the idea that does not deserve its own thread section.
    I understand that limitation of RPG maker: lack of digital arts.
    Oct 24, 2018
  32. Kupotepo
    Kupotepo
    @Parallax Panda, we here needs to see what you are write to be able to help you if you are feel so much uncomfortable with writing. You can hire a writer in the rescue section.
    Oct 24, 2018
  33. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Matseb2611 I see, you started with a general "I want to make a fun Sci-fi game", went on to think about your characters, some locations and THEN you actually started thinking about the story. That's the other way around from how I usually work. Maybe I should start with characters too and then see what kind of story they'd fit into? It's quite an intimidating approach but I'll give it a try.
    Oct 24, 2018
    Matseb2611 likes this.
  34. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Kupotepo Well, I know. I have a lot of half-baked ideas I juggle but some I'm waiting for feedback on some and others I need more inspiration for so they are "on hold". As for today, I'm thinking about a Cyber Punk story that I want to turn into a RPG maker game. I finished organizing the tile set just yesterday so it's a pretty newly hatched idea.
    Oct 24, 2018
    Kupotepo likes this.
  35. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Kupotepo I've not come very far though. Just like @Matseb2611 wrote above, how he started "Incitement 1" with a simple wish to write a fun sci-fi game, that's pretty much all I have too at the moment. A simple wish to make a fun Cyber Punk game.

It's usually difficult for me to get the ball rolling when starting off with so little. Because there's so many choices to be made...
    Oct 24, 2018
    Kupotepo likes this.
  36. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    I'd say it is possible to start off with a plot premise, though it likely wouldn't be detailed and rather just be a simple idea. Some of my other games, like Atonement and City of Chains, started off like that. For Atonement I wanted to make a dual POV narrative with one team being "heroes" and the other anti-heroes, both disliking each other but needing to work together to beat the antagonist.
    Oct 24, 2018
  37. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    With City of Chains, the idea was initially pitched by my mum, believe it or not. She said why don't I make a game about a prison escape in a futuristic society, so I took that and developed that idea further, creating an oppressive cyberpunk setting and turning it into a choice and consequence narrative. :)
    Oct 24, 2018
  38. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Matseb2611 An idea past on from your mom? Wow, that's cool. Did you maybe have an inspirational drought at the time as well?

I came up with something this morning that could fit into a cyber punk game and I've been writing all day. I just hope I can finish an outline before my inspiration runs out. :)
    Oct 24, 2018
    Matseb2611 likes this.
  39. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    No, gladly there were no droughts. I kind of always have ideas (if anything I don't have the time to bring them all to life), but one day when I was telling my mum about my games, she mentioned that idea, and I decided to go on with it. :D

Good idea. Hold on to that muse before she runs off. :p
    Oct 24, 2018
  40. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    I'll try my best to do so. Although it's past midnight now so I probably should go to bed. I can always continue tomorrow.
    Oct 25, 2018
    Matseb2611 and Finnuval like this.