RPG Maker Forums

Poryg
Poryg
uses programming logic just as much as any programming language. The only difference is syntax; instead of having to define your own functions you are using a bunch of predefined ones.
samkfj
samkfj
That's the thing about RM, people don't even know they're programming--then they get better and better at it, and maybe if one day they want to learn a language--they'll have some knowledge of the fundamentals. It might not be exact--but they'll have an idea.
TheoAllen
TheoAllen
Do they need to know how array works? no?
Poryg
Poryg
And how does that clash with understanding programming logic? Especially since an array is nothing more than a container of values/variables.
TheoAllen
TheoAllen
Bcz it literally no need to know how to program. You just need to know how to design Algorithm. And Algorithm isn't a programming. Everyone can design a flowchart, but not everyone can program a flowchart. RM is only to a level to design an algorithm, and it 'let' the program 'generate' a code for it.
Poryg
Poryg
Well, the same can be said pretty much about any API. You're designing a program from predefined functions. If you don't understand the logic behind it and the consequences of your code, you will likely not get what you want to get. But that doesn't mean you need to know everything in the background, since the API will do it for you.
TheoAllen
TheoAllen
Here is the question, do you actually know what's the implicit meaning of "no programming knowledge needed" or "I don't know programming" or are u just trying to be funny?
Poryg
Poryg
Btw. Without understanding the logic behind the commands you cannot make anything complex. I was able to stretch the limits of RM2k3 beyond what many imagined could be done. True, without knowledge of a programming language. But designing all these events and common events? Eventing an ABS? I couldn't have done this without any understanding of the logic behind.
Poryg
Poryg
Actually, neither. I am just separating programming knowledge (i.e. knowledge of programming languages) and understanding of programming logic.
TheoAllen
TheoAllen
The one you mentioned is called high-level programming, but it still need to know some of programming principle such as array I mentioned. And you need to know some of the terms in programming.
TheoAllen
TheoAllen
According to your logic, RM is high-level programming, but it is even in higher level bcz if hi-level programming u don't need to know specific machine language, in this level you don't need to know specific programming language. Is it what you mean?
TheoAllen
TheoAllen
And I'd argue the designing logic is called algorithm. It's separated from programming. Learning syntax, know how variable, class, module works, learning library, etc. If it's required, then you it's "programming knowledge needed". You could also argue "well, learning software also counts". If so then you were just trying to be funny.
Poryg
Poryg
Yup, according to my logic RM is high-level programming. Much simplified compared to programming via languages, but as I said, in a simplified term using an RM is equivalent to using an API. True, you don't have to type it all by yourself, but that's why we have APIs (and btw. why JQuery got so popular as it simplified having to type a lot of stuff).
Poryg
Poryg
I'm not trying to be funny by any means and cannot say that anyone who can design a complex feature in RM is a programmer. But the understanding of RM helped me a lot with a real programming language, because I already had the ability to briefly visualise how a code needs to look if it has to do what I need it to do.
TheoAllen
TheoAllen
So you still don't know the meaning behind "no programming knowledge needed"?
TheoAllen
TheoAllen
It's like trying to argue "What is RPG", "it's roleplaying game, so all games are RPG bcz you're roleplaying". It's your definition, and you insisted if it's true, instead of trying to understand the general consensus of "What is RPG".

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Twitter is making me embarrassed to be a Persona 5 fan rn
I don't wanna be called out when I say P5R is my favorite game :kaoswt2:
And my first batch of gobbo battlers is up *yay* (images should show now as they first didnt - Just my luck lol)
I've released the game I've been working on for the past 7 years, and wrote a postmortem detailing the struggles of developing a game alone. Check it out! https://meiri.itch.io/apple-pie/devlog/160774/apple-pie-a-postmortem
Petty boss is working today. Hope he realizes today that messing with me is gonna ruin his day like yesterday. I can operate very comfortably on the fringes of policy XD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ba_hq