Comments on Profile Post by Tw0Face

1. Kwerty
    Kwerty
    the whole industry is pretty tough man. Marketing of your game is just as important as its quality of content.. You could hit up some Let's play channels too. Inbox me a link to your games?
    Nov 18, 2018
    Tw0Face likes this.
  2. Tw0Face
    Tw0Face
    You're probably right. Hitting up some let's players might end up as a good idea. I linked my games to my Signature. You can find them there.
    Nov 18, 2018
    Kwerty likes this.
  3. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    3 in a week? That's high. I think I did 17 in 4 months, 6 comments.
    Nov 18, 2018
    Kwerty likes this.
  4. mlogan
    mlogan
    A lot of people here have their spare time taken up making games, so it can be hard to find time to play others’ games.
    Nov 18, 2018
  5. OmnislashXX
    OmnislashXX
    You're not going to be a hit, overnight. I suggest working at it.
    Nov 18, 2018
    Kwerty likes this.
  6. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    Bear in mind that this is a game development site, there are people here that beta test and such but overall rpgw isnt an ideal avenue for garnering exposure. A lot of us don't have enough time to work on our own games, let alone play everyone else's.

Simple fact is, most rpgm devs don't play rpgm games (a lot of them don't really play many games period I've seen.) When did you last play someone else's rpgm game?
    Nov 18, 2018
    Shaz, samkfj, mlogan and 1 other person like this.
  7. TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    From my experience, unless your game offers something that benefits for the downloader, it's kinda hard to see it's getting downloaded.

Like, "hey, I have this stuff. Check out my game if you want to see how it's being used!", then you will get more download than if you only offer your own content. Except if your content is awesome.
    Nov 18, 2018
    Tw0Face and Kwerty like this.
  8. samkfj
    samkfj
    Time is plenty; patience a virtue.
    Nov 19, 2018
    Finnuval and Kwerty like this.
  9. OmnislashXX
    OmnislashXX
    @Philosophus Vagus That is why they fail. If they're not going to play other games, how exactly will they know what it is to Make? The think the best developers know exactly what it is people like.
    Nov 19, 2018
    Tw0Face likes this.
  10. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    @OmnislashXX I think that a lot of us are just trying to make the kind of game that we like though. I know one of the things that first attracted me to indie development was the fact that the types of games I like the most (tactical rpgs in the vein of wasteland) were becoming near nonexistent in mainstream gaming due to devs catering to the lowest common denominator...aka what (the most) people like.
    Nov 19, 2018
  11. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    Not saying that catering to what's popular is an invalid approach, especially commercially but it isn't really that important. If devs (especially those of us with day jobs/families) spent time playing other games to keep up with what's popular then many of them wouldn't have any time left to develop. That's just reality, and honestly there's still a niche to fit most even commercially, if not in the AAA circuit.
    Nov 19, 2018
  12. Tw0Face
    Tw0Face
    @Philosophus Vagus Hm, that sounds pretty much like an endless circle. Like no one will play your game because people don't have time for your game and they're too busy developing their own games that no one will play because other people don't have time for their games as well and they're too busy developing their own games that no one will play because(...).
    Nov 19, 2018
  13. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    No, there are people here who beta test, and there are markets out there for you to display your game. All I'm saying is that in my experience this forum is not a good place to attract players because the majority of us are to busy working on our own. If it is a circle it's easily broken, you just need to look outside of it to find your playerbase because a circle of developers does not a good base make.
    Nov 19, 2018
  14. Shaz
    Shaz
    The other advantage to not playing other people's games is that you won't be tempted to add any of their mechanics into your own game, so you can't be accused of stealing ideas, and the games are less same-y. You also won't be discouraged if theirs is much better than yours.

If you're looking for people to play your game, go to where game players are, not to where game developers are.
    Nov 19, 2018
  15. Kes
    Kes
    On this particular site, it also helps if people know you a bit, have seen your comments on threads about game making etc. so have some idea (even if vague) of what you might be capable of making. As you've only been a member for one week, that hasn't happened yet.
    Nov 19, 2018
    Kwerty likes this.
  16. Tw0Face
    Tw0Face
    Okay, now I know. Thanks for all the comments.
    Nov 19, 2018
  17. OmnislashXX
    OmnislashXX
    And knowing is half the battle.
    Nov 19, 2018
    samkfj likes this.
  18. samkfj
    samkfj
    Nov 19, 2018
  19. OmnislashXX
    OmnislashXX
    I'm everywhere.
    Nov 19, 2018
    samkfj likes this.
  20. samkfj
    samkfj
    Indeed, so.
    Nov 19, 2018
  21. Tw0Face
    Tw0Face
    Better y'all pop out behind your computer playing my games. Couldn't think of a better place to pop out from.
    Nov 19, 2018
  22. OmnislashXX
    OmnislashXX
    Link your games and I may pop out to play them.
    Nov 20, 2018
    Tw0Face likes this.
  23. Tw0Face
  24. Kwerty
    Kwerty
    Ok, you should update your project thread with a little less text and more images :). Also did you not use the logo I made for you last month? Lol
    Nov 20, 2018
  25. Kwerty
    Kwerty
    The games actually look quite cool but I gotta scroll passed pages of text to see the screenshots!
    Nov 20, 2018
  26. Rose Guardian
    Rose Guardian
    I know the feeling. It's like people don't want to give us a chance. Anyway I will try your games when I get time. They look interesting.
    Nov 20, 2018
  27. Tw0Face
    Tw0Face
    @Kwerty Wow, I didn't realize it was too much text. Thanks for pointing it out. I think I'll wrap some of it in spoilers so it doesn't look like I've written a whole book trilogy instead of making a game. Also I was very happy with the logo you made for me, but I realized it didn't go well with my titlescreen.
    Nov 20, 2018
  28. Tw0Face
    Tw0Face
    @Rose Guardian Thank you for trying out my games. Hope you'll have a good time with it. Have you already published some games here?
    Nov 20, 2018