RPG Maker Forums

MushroomCake28
MushroomCake28
@Kupotepo It's really just altering the code, or add some, to add some functionalities to MV and fix some issues or optimization in MV. In my case, and example would be how I reworked the entire actor part to add abilities which can level up and influence stats, resistances, etc.
Poryg
Poryg
For me reworking would be kinda slow to be frank. I'm handling loading via pixi loader. Instead of using bitmap blitting to create windows, I used a couple of sprites from permaloaded system.png.
Poryg
Poryg
Preloading maps and their release from memory will be handled asynchronously. Before that even happens, I intend to construct a list of resources that need to be preloaded.
Kupotepo
Kupotepo
@MushroomCake28, why don't you used Yanfly plugins? It is an easier option for customization.
@Poryg, It sounds complicated. Do not tell me here, it is going to 1o posts. I hope that it works like your intended.
MushroomCake28
MushroomCake28
@Kupotepo Yanfly's plugin only allows up to a certain level of customization because it is intend to be used on many project. The cooler stuff is only possible when it is specific to project or a particular system, thus it is possible to use it in other projects.
Poryg
Poryg
This completely changes everything. Since I'll use a lot of map data to handle the smart loading and unloading, it's pointless for me to use remote loading and so each map has its own loader. It has already left DataManager, ImageManager and AudioManager redundant. Just like parallax mapping makes redundant sprite classes. So much scrapping, so from scratch is more efficient.
MushroomCake28
MushroomCake28
@Kupotepo For example, I have a specific Skill Ability system where the player can level up some abilities on their skills. On ability will add an additional AoE hit after a spell, another ability will transform TP to MP at an exchange rate determined by that ability's level, etc.
Reactions: Poryg
Poryg
Poryg
@Kupotepo Yanfly plugins are by no means bad, but 1. They are too generic and 2. They are overused. 3. They are quite slow. That was something I hated on them the most. So it took me 14 days before I began to edit them.
MushroomCake28
MushroomCake28
@Poryg It's because Yanfly's plugins are intended to work on all projects. It must be coded to be able to run in a lot of scenarios, thus making cutting corners and adding specific stuff impossible.
Kupotepo
Kupotepo
@Poryg, I get what is an obvious problem it does not only pertain to you put all of the people. The loading screen is loading too long for anyone.@Poryg, I understand that you can code anything. I just think it is counterproductive to just 100 of lines if the solution is already have been solved.
Kupotepo
Kupotepo
Yanfly plugins are also giving you abilities for you to insert the code in your game. I understand that Yanfly does not have everything, you want. I suggest to you that before your writing the code; maybe search around. It is might save some time unless you like to code many lines.
Kupotepo
Kupotepo
@MushroomCake28, Why do create "the player can level up some abilities on their skills"? You did like the final fantasy, like use the gems to increase the skills'level. Why are you create "ability will transform TP to MP at an exchange rate determined by that ability's level"? Isn't not cost a player turn to just do that or it is instant cast.
Poryg
Poryg
Unfortunately that's not exactly true.
Yes, you can program nice action sequences and stuff. But you have very little room for customization of menu systems. Yes, you can use lunatic mode in notetags. However, lunatic mode uses eval, which is about 1000x slower than regular code.
Poryg
Poryg
And Yanfly plugins are poorly optimized in terms of speed, which is crucial for me, especially combined with the default MV engine. So I will gladly invest hundreds of lines of code into reinventing the wheel if it means I'm getting a performance boost from it.
Poryg
Poryg
Not to mention, you gain experience from programming. So anything you program is not a waste of time if you learn something new from it.
Kupotepo
Kupotepo
@Poryg, how do you measure you game speed ? I do not think it is a waste of time for coding. I think it is so many things you can invest your time on. You might get overwhelmed because I am.
Kupotepo
Kupotepo
You have draw, write,code, debug, and plan to make a game.
Poryg
Poryg
Game speed can be measured quite easily. You can track function execution times in dev tools. Or you can just use a less powerful machine as a test subject. Not that hard in times of virtual machines.
Kupotepo
Kupotepo
I understand that you can used stimulator to see how it work out in other OS. How to you know exact number of processing speed when run your game ?
Poryg
Poryg
Unless you have a dozen different pc builds with various cpu sockets for mobos, you never know for certain. And a cpu does matter - my ryzen 2600x despite having the same power as a 1600x, is 7% better for gaming.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I made my own pizza. First critique, more chicken next time.
My pumpkin! Anyone like Fallout?

It's not terrible, but could be better. This thing took me over an hour to carve. :kaophew:

Dad's watching a WWII documentary while I work on some cool assets for my games. I just love RPG Maker!
Also Happy Halloween! Dad's friend won't be coming unfortunately, but Dad will still be taking me to Boxi Park to have some fun tonight! I'll be posting a video on my YouTube channel of the show, and I'll be sure to post a link here.
"Nightmares exist outside of logic and there's little fun to be had in explanations. They're antithetical to the poetry of fear. In a horror story the victim keeps asking why, but there can be no explanation and there shouldn't be one..." - Stephen King
I feel people seek explanation and demand it sometimes in games, but in the horror genre, well, maybe you shouldn't have one. Silent Hill 1 comes to mind...
Managed to implement QSprite.

Always double check your plugin order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2bzzi