RPG Maker Forums

MushroomCake28
MushroomCake28
The thing is we are constantly evolving. That means that our past work will always seem not good enough for us, thus we always want to redo stuff. However, that makes us never release anything.
Reactions: Poryg
Poryg
Poryg
Nevertheless, I had to redo that.
My preloading concept was built on every map having its own loader and it'd just preload all maps you'd port into. Which theoretically didn't look too bad for me, until I realized that there are easily maps where you can TP to like 15 different maps and preloading 15 maps is deadly.
Kupotepo
Kupotepo
@Poryg, @MushroomCake28 is right that you are so talented and now you should learn to stop. You are your own harshest critic. Let me see your game demo and I do not even play your game that your game is good.
MushroomCake28
MushroomCake28
@Poryg So you had the game load the maps that are directly accessible from a given map to reduce load time? That's actually smart. But yeah, there is an issue if there are 15 maps accessible from one map.
Poryg
Poryg
So I spent some time to rework the loading system. It's not finished yet, but right now it loads all resources into one pool instead of having a lowader for each map. I will also add in to prioritize autostart/parallel process event related TP loading and the rest will be filled by the closest events. Max preloaded maps at once will be set via plugin parameter.
Poryg
Poryg
@MushroomCake28 It's what any sensible preloading system does, since it's pointless to have RAM and VRAM full of resources you don't need. Nevertheless, it's important to have it right so the preloader doesn't spend time bottlenecking or preloading too much.
MushroomCake28
MushroomCake28
Does it search the events in the active map for the "transfer to map" command to determine which maps are being loaded in memory?
Poryg
Poryg
I inspired myself by some site where they said that when you change scenes often, it's good to have a loader for each scene. However, due to encryption it would mean that every loader would need to load the same resource again for itself. Which is rather impractical... :D
Poryg
Poryg
Yes. It searches the active map for:
- Transfer player event commands. If you have direct coordinates, the merrier. If you reference from a variable, it will ask you to place them to the map's notetag zone.

-Notetags, which serve as "Always keep loaded" for current map and allows me to handle variable reference transfers to an extent.
MushroomCake28
MushroomCake28
If there are too many transfer, maybe you could divide the active map in 4 zones and only read the events in the zone in which the player is located. That would reduce the number of maps to load.
Poryg
Poryg
I was thinking about dividing the map to zones, but I don't think it's the happiest solution. There are autostart/parallel process events that can be fired from anywhere. These always need to be ready. Then there's variable references that computers cannot read implicitly. And there's also the fact that some zones have more events, some less.
Poryg
Poryg
So instead of that I'm thinking about having a system that will load all autostart/parallel process related events as well as the ones in notetags. As for any other ones, they'd be handled if they appeared 5 squares away from the player.
MushroomCake28
MushroomCake28
Read all parallel/auto events, then read other events in the zone. But before that, make it generate zones based on density of events. It's the perfect solution, but it's better than nothing, or 4 equal zones.
MushroomCake28
MushroomCake28
Or that yeah, that would work.
Poryg
Poryg
Yeah. The only thing that is scaring me a bit is the sheer amount of objects I'm using to store various amounts of information :D
Kupotepo
Kupotepo
@Poryg, how many hours long in your game? Sorry for interrupting your coding discussion. What is your game bites, so I can be mindful when that happens to my "game."
Poryg
Poryg
It's not developing an engine for a particular game, but for general purpose release. I'm currently not developing a game, since I know I wouldn't be able to finish it from lack of motivation.
Kupotepo
Kupotepo
@Poryg, what-what? It is good that you are stopping me from my crazy assumption. You are making a plugin !! So it is your plugin for a private or for a public.
Poryg
Poryg
I have already spoken a few times about it. Not a plugin, a full engine. Its targets will be enhanced parallax mapping and greatly enhanced speed compared to MV.
Kupotepo
Kupotepo
@Poryg, How to do you engine to integrate with MV? I do not understand how that can be done.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

There are only a few days left in our Spooktober Spooktacular Game Jam! Hope you are working hard to get your game in!
Where do i have to play Heisei Pistol Show the same creator that made Re: Kinder Parun
I really get the feeling I should be doing regular YouTube videos whenever I make something cool in my game, instead of waiting for massive changes. But not going to lie... I always feel like it's never quite enough to merit an update, until it's a drastic change. :kaoswt:
Going to submit to this game jam...struggling with the time crunch...
Have to keep compromising...
Just released a new OST for my game and a new place to purchase it!

Ah, things to do when you finish a game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhatisGachi