Comments on Profile Post by TheoAllen

1. MushroomCake28
    MushroomCake28
    MIDI files are extremely versatile. That's why I like them. You can even change the notes' velocity, expression, volume, and many many more attributes. Very useful in for DAWs and virtual sound libraries. However, I wouldn't use the default MIDI sound lol.
    Dec 11, 2018
    Marsigne likes this.
  2. AceOfAces_Mod
    AceOfAces_Mod
    I use VirtualMIDISynth when playing MIDI files. It provides pretty good sound quality (with a good set of good SoundFont). Although, I don't use it that much aside from old DOS games. It doesn't help that some libraries for MIDI have security issues.
    Dec 11, 2018
    Marsigne likes this.
  3. TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    I never trust random SoundFont. Sometimes it just make it worse. I'd rather listen to it using GM MIDI Synthesizer (like in Ace) or manually convert them for more quality.
    Dec 11, 2018
    Marsigne likes this.
  4. Marsigne
    Marsigne
    Never used them, but why do they sound different depending on the medium? Are they analog?
    Dec 11, 2018
  5. MushroomCake28
    MushroomCake28
    @Marsigne MIDI is just a format that keeps the information of tracks, it is not an audio format. It keeps information like tempo, notes, velocity, expression, etc. To have an actual sound, you need to put virtual instruments on each tracks.
    Dec 11, 2018
    Marsigne likes this.
  6. MushroomCake28
    MushroomCake28
    @Marsigne Different programs can add different virtual instruments by default on the MIDI file, thus resulting on different sound. That is primarily MIDI's first use case: people use midi to put their desired virtual instruments on each tracks to make it sound like they want (some virtual instruments can cost lot of $).
    Dec 11, 2018
    Marsigne likes this.
  7. Marsigne
    Marsigne
    Interesting, so one virtual instrument can make the sound be epic and the other one be garbage. :D
    Dec 11, 2018
  8. MushroomCake28
    MushroomCake28
    Exactly. Those epic orchestral sounds you hear in films come from very expensive (but amazingly beautiful) sound libraries (compilation of many virtual instruments).
    Dec 11, 2018
    Marsigne likes this.
  9. MushroomCake28
    MushroomCake28
    Inversely, you can give them the sound of a 8 bit SNES audio track if you want. That's MIDI's versatility.
    Dec 11, 2018
    Marsigne likes this.
  10. Marsigne
    Marsigne
    The more you know. :D
    Dec 11, 2018
  11. TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    Sadly ppl don't seem to share midi resources anymore these days :(
    Dec 11, 2018
    Marsigne and MushroomCake28 like this.
  12. MushroomCake28
    MushroomCake28
    I know there are some MIDI files database, but you have to pay to download the files.
    Dec 11, 2018
    Marsigne likes this.
  13. TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    Is that a sequence from popular songs or original compositions? just curious.
    Dec 11, 2018
    Marsigne likes this.
  14. MushroomCake28
    MushroomCake28
    Probably all types of database. The ones I used to search were purely classical works though lol.
    Dec 11, 2018
    Marsigne likes this.