Comments on Profile Post by Touchfuzzy

1. Milennin
    Milennin
    I watched my friend play it for an hour and it looked boring to me. I really do not get the appeal of that game...
    Dec 17, 2018
  2. Benny Jackdaw
    Benny Jackdaw
    At least it's not...
    Dec 17, 2018
  3. Aoi Ninami
    Aoi Ninami
    Even more than Undertale?
    Dec 17, 2018
  4. Benny Jackdaw
    Benny Jackdaw
    I can think of 20 games and franchises that are more overrated than both of those.
    Dec 17, 2018
  5. Hudell
    Hudell
    I usually say it's a great game but not a great zelda.
    Dec 18, 2018
  6. shadefoundry
    shadefoundry
    It really is. I had the chance to watch my friend play it a while back and while there's no arguing that it's a good game, it's definitely not as good as people are saying. Also weapon degradation is a terrible mechanic in any game.
    Dec 18, 2018
  7. OmnislashXX
    OmnislashXX
    The weapons are bearable because most monsters carry replacements. The special weapons though should not break.
    Dec 18, 2018
  8. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    The weapon breaking isn't really that big of a deal to me. It was annoying at first, but isn't that bad, though it does feed into one of the issues with the game: lack of reward.

The only rewards that matter are spirit orbs, korok seeds, and armor. Compare that too earlier games where you had a WIDE variety of stuff to be rewarded for, and each of them can be rewards for any variety of minigames.
    Dec 18, 2018
    Philosophus Vagus likes this.
  9. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    Add in that the obligatory open world "climb these towers to unlock maps" are possibly the worst implementation ever done, with just mostly being boring to climb.

That the monster variety is incredibly low.

There are very very few bosses, and almost all of them are repeated throughout the game.
    Dec 18, 2018
  10. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    Most of the "side quests" are the most boring of boring I've ever seen in an open world game, with the most useless rewards.

This was a game that is being lauded as one of the BEST GAMES OF ALL TIME, perfect 10s all over the place, and I don't even think it is the best game in its own genre in the year it came out (open world action adventure, Horizon: Zero Dawn was a better game).
    Dec 18, 2018
  11. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    Its fun. I enjoy it. I still think it is the most fun I've had with a Zelda since the original (honestly, I considered Ocarina of Time the most overrated before this...), but it has really really glaring flaws.
    Dec 18, 2018
  12. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    (Also you can tell how limited they were by the Switch itself. The draw distance is garbage and the fact that they basically implemented low level fog ALL THE TIME so you can't see anything 20 feet from you makes it obvious).
    Dec 18, 2018
  13. The Mighty Palm
    The Mighty Palm
    Its not just physical reward either, its also lacking story reward. You get NOTHING SUBSTANTIAL for completing the dlc, getting the mastersword, completing all shrines, or stopping the divine beasts. Its just grinding in disguise. Makes the game easier. Oh and maybe a 12 second long add on to the end cutscene that is not satisfying nor does it change the ending at all.
    Dec 18, 2018
  14. Benny Jackdaw
    Benny Jackdaw
    Ugh. No, Horizon. I think that game is even more overrated.
    Dec 18, 2018
  15. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    @Benny Jackdaw In what way? I can continue to list giant flaws in Breath of the Wild. I'm curious what you think is the issue with Horizon? Cause it has much more innovative and interesting combat, more interesting story, more interesting characters, more interesting enemy design, etc. etc. etc.

For the genre it is, Horizon stands out a lot to me.
    Dec 18, 2018
  16. The Mighty Palm
    The Mighty Palm
    If the 100+ shrines were stitched together into like 8-10 dungeons, with items to complete them hidden within, and puzzles on the overworld you could mark and backtrack to after getting those items, and npc sidequests gave you heart pieces again, and the korok forest burned down in a holy fire because screw them and their gold nuggets, itd have been more enjoyable imo.
    Dec 18, 2018
  17. The Mighty Palm
    The Mighty Palm
    If you want a good open world Zelda game, albiet much shorter, play Link Between Worlds.
    Dec 18, 2018
  18. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    Also any time a section requires stealth, I want to gauge my eyes out in BotW. The Yiga Clan infiltration and the Korok Trial where you have to follow the dude. ITS JUST SUPER TIME CONSUMING, NOT CHALLENGING because dude managed to turn around and go "OH THERE YOU ARE".
    Dec 18, 2018
  19. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    Horizon's stealth is WAY, WAY better done, and also I don't think there is a single point in the game where if you fail stealth it is pretty much time to redo the whole thing, outside of maybe the first intro stealth tutorial, but that isn't even long or difficult.
    Dec 18, 2018
  20. Seirein
    Seirein
    Pretty much every game that gets treated as the greatest thing ever has massive, glaring flaws that most people are completely incapable of acknowledging -- if they don't attack anyone who does.

The games I've had the most fun with over the years? The games that the same people obsessed with BotW, Witcher 3, Persona 5, etc. are obsessed with bashing.
    Dec 18, 2018
  21. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    Breath of the Wild just FEELS like a padded out game. It has like 4 things to do that feel marginally rewarding (Hunt for Korok seeds, do a shrine, do a divine beast, or beat Ganon.)

You just have to do the first two a million times.
    Dec 18, 2018
    The Mighty Palm likes this.
  22. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    Honestly, I think Horizon should have gotten GotY from most publications last year. My favorite game from last year was NieR: Automata, but I also understand why it WOULDN'T get it, because it is a weird game for weird people, and not a game that has the same wide appeal. I'd put BotW as the 5-6th best game of 2017.
    Dec 18, 2018
  23. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    Also for being a huge entry into one of the biggest video game franchises of all time, by one of the most well off game developer studios in the world, why do so many things feel cheaped out on? WHY DO ALL THE STABLES USE THE EXACT SAME MODEL?
    Dec 18, 2018
  24. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    Also rain. YOU KNOW THAT MECHANIC THAT IS PROBABLY THE MOST COOL PART OF THE GAME? THE ABILITY TO CLIMB ANYTHING. LET'S JUST TURN THAT OFF AT RANDOM. THAT'S FUN.
    Dec 18, 2018
    shadefoundry likes this.
  25. shadefoundry
    shadefoundry
    Oh definitely, talk about sending mixed messages to the player.
    Dec 18, 2018
  26. Benny Jackdaw
    Benny Jackdaw
    @Touchfuzzy Oh, right, typical human Sue protagonist is so likeable. Typical anti-environment propaganda with machines hiding the fact gives it such an amazing, in-depth story. even if you're going to talk about gameplay, don't talk about characters and stories as if they're fact, cuz I hated the story and characters in Horizon. I found breath of the wild to have a less of black and white world to it.
    Dec 18, 2018
  27. Benny Jackdaw
    Benny Jackdaw
    and to be honest, I didn't even find it's gameplay to be all that great, and found pretty much the exact same grinding problems that I do in other games, including breath of the Wild. it feels like modern games love to abused grinding.
    Dec 18, 2018
  28. shadefoundry
    shadefoundry
    @Benny Jackdaw Modern games abuse grinding because it "increases player engagement" since apparently fun isn't an important factor for some of these companies.
    Dec 18, 2018
  29. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    ... Eh, Aloy is good at a lot of things, but so are most action game protagonists (hell, Link is basically good at everything). Also I'm getting suspicious that what you don't like about Horizon has more to do with your politics than anything about Horizon itself.

Just Sylens alone is a more interesting and grey character than anything in BotW.
    Dec 18, 2018
    Philosophus Vagus likes this.
  30. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    And Horizon's mechanics actually force you to think through and use the tools at your disposal. Thinking your way through an encounter beats just spamming arrows is incredibly rewarding and uses much much less resources.

Comparatively, BotW tries to force you to use different tactics by having your weapons break constantly so you don't want to use them.
    Dec 18, 2018
  31. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    Eh, grinding in and of itself isn't bad as long as the grinding is kept fun. Combat in Horizon is so good that the grindiness of hunting certain components isn't even boring.

In Zelda I fought like I was grinding before I finished 1/6th of the Shrines, because there is so little to do you can't break up the monotony.
    Dec 18, 2018
  32. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    In Horizon, if I got tired of hunting specific components (I rarely did cause fighting in that game is so good) I could go do Bandit encampment quests with Nils, or do some hunter lodge challenges, or do a Cauldron, or hunt down a new longneck...

There was just so much more different types of things to do in HZD.
    Dec 18, 2018
  33. Benny Jackdaw
    Benny Jackdaw
    maybe, but I just didn't find anyone in Horizon to be even remotely likable, and the story itself just felt like the usual stuff I play games to get away from, with the usual human toy box feel that I absolutely despise in Media. Breath of the wild at least had different races living among each other, but Horizon just felt shallow and its portrayal of other life.
    Dec 18, 2018
  34. Benny Jackdaw
    Benny Jackdaw
    Also, you say you like breath of the Wild A little bit, and yet you are going to town on it.
    Dec 18, 2018
  35. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    I'm going to town on it because it was lauded as one of the greatest games of all time and given 10/10 by pretty much every review outlet ever when its a 8/10 game at best.

It can be fun. But it is lacking. Also why does every single apple tree have the EXACT SAME configuration of tree branches. Also why do durian trees and apple trees look exactly the same...
    Dec 18, 2018
  36. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    It's just angering because it feels like so many issues just come down to Nintendo laziness.
    Dec 18, 2018
  37. OmnislashXX
    OmnislashXX
    Ladies and Gentlemen, I think we broke the status feed.

@ Touchfuzzy Y'know what you say may be true, but guess what? I found Horizon to be kinda boring. Hunting machines? Uhm...ok. The story didn't really gel for me. But you know, It's whatever's. I'm not really comparing it to Breath of the Wild and really, you shouldn't either.
    Dec 18, 2018
  38. OmnislashXX
    OmnislashXX
    BotW had some really great storylines in different places of the game. Finding the Shrines was just about as important as defeating them. Finding the Fairies, building up the town, beating the Divine Beasts. Finding the Zelda memories (dat azz). There is so much to do.
    Dec 18, 2018
  39. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    I'm really curious what you consider to be "great storylines". I think the only character I can remember from Breath of the Wild right now by name is Sidon and that is only cause they gave him the ridiculous smile/thumbs up.

And I'm currently in the middle of playing it.

I haven't played HZD in about 6 months or so and can still remember a lot of the characters.
    Dec 18, 2018
  40. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    I didnt really like the premise for hzd but your status rant has kinda sold me on trying it out sometime.

Never really got the botw hype either, granted Zelda games aren't exactly known for having great stories but even then there are past Zelda games with better narratives and gameplay, while fun, lost its allure pretty swiftly. Of course in all fairness I've only played it a few hours at my brother's. :D
    Dec 18, 2018
  41. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    Honestly all games I consider better than BotW from 2017: NieR: Automata, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Shadow of War, Persona 5, XCOM 2: War of the Chosen (Yes, an expansion but wow did it make that game a whole new experience), and possibly RE7.
    Dec 18, 2018
  42. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    The thing is, I wouldn't be so harsh on the game if it wasn't for the reception it got. It is so far from a perfect game and I can't understand how anyone thinks it is. (Hell none of those games are perfect, I can tell you flaws for every single one, but overall 2017 was a ridiculously outstanding year for video games).
    Dec 18, 2018
  43. Benny Jackdaw
    Benny Jackdaw
    Hating a game because of reception is how I feel about most games now it is.
    Dec 18, 2018
  44. Seirein
    Seirein
    Frankly, BotW isn't the only game whose fans deserve to be told how mediocre it really is.
    Dec 18, 2018
  45. OmnislashXX
    OmnislashXX
    Yeah, you see, That's the attitude people start taking towards games once the freshness wears off. It doesn't deserve it though, as It's still fun to play.
    Dec 18, 2018
  46. Hudell
    Hudell
    I'm playing Horizon right now and while it feels kind of generic, it is super fun to play and the world is much better filled than the one on BoTW.
    Dec 19, 2018