Comments on Profile Post by TheoAllen

1. MushroomCake28
    MushroomCake28
    Meaning? Freedom of speech =? freedom of actions
    Jan 4, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  2. Kupotepo
    Kupotepo
    @TheoAllen, I am sorry what are trying to say. I do not to make a guess.
    Jan 4, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  3. dragoonwys
    dragoonwys
    From my perspective it means, if you expect the freedom to say anything you want, expect people to also have the freedom to react/reply to it instead of nodding and moving on.
    Jan 4, 2019
  4. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    I agree to an extent. However, this sort of thinking can easily be used to justify using violence to silence those you disagree with, or who are saying things you just don't want to hear.
    Jan 4, 2019
  5. J0pac
    J0pac
    Agree, but you should also expect consequences for your actions.
    Jan 4, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  6. Kupotepo
    Kupotepo
    @dragoonwys, Bar fights or Road rage usually get people into a fight with other people.

@The Stranger, welcome to the human world and the human brain. If we convince ourselves enough, we can fool ourselves and self-justified anything violence one commit. Narcissistic, Egotistical and Sociopath people have that tendency.
    Jan 4, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  7. dragoonwys
    dragoonwys
    Yeah the wording can be twisted for bad, like many other phrases in the book. Its more of what J0pac said, expect consequences for your actions. Both from the speaker and the people replying.
    If someone says they are going to kidnap or stalk someone, I would expect someone to take action and at least report the person instead of nodding and moving on. ^^;
    Jan 4, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  8. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    I disagree. Violent people will be violent regardless, all you are really saying is "it's okay for me to beat the sheep out of you if I disagree with your opinion" and that is bs.

I understand where you are coming from, but to often groups who toubt this 'equivalency' end up putting words in the mouths of people they disagree with...
    Jan 4, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  9. dragoonwys
    dragoonwys
    My English is a little rusty, I didn't know that action = violence in this phrase? If that is so, violence towards people who are speaking their mind is never good.
    Jan 4, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  10. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    ...in order to justify retaliation rather than the other way around. Don't know where you live but in my country this has run rampent in recent years and I've seen people hospitalized for words they never said, attacked for nothing but a hat or an opinion.

There is a distinct difference between free speech and incriminating yourself, if you aren't guilty of the latter you shouldn't have to expect violence.
    Jan 4, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  11. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    Now if by action you mean opening your opinion up for criticism sure, and while a slippery slope I'll admit if one told me they were going to kill me I'd knock them upside the head before calling the police. But most people who get attacked for 'hate speech' aren't inciting violence, a lot of the time it's the people punching them who are coming up with the words they use to justify their proactive 'retaliation'.
    Jan 4, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  12. MushroomCake28
    MushroomCake28
    @The Stranger I was thinking exactly the same thing.
    @Philosophus Vagus Although I get your point, my legal brain screams "freedom of speech protected!" and not actions. You are allowed to think racist things for example, but you can't take racist actions.
    Jan 4, 2019
    J0pac and The Stranger like this.
  13. TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    You can associate the action with many things and I believe violence is the first one. While it's true, but it's not always violence. There is a word "IF" there in the first sentence, I'm not weighing on the "action", rather to the "speech". What you're going to speak is always have consequences. And if you're making an excuse of "bcz freedom of speech" then the later shall be true as well.
    Jan 4, 2019
  14. TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    There's a respect and better to be silent rather than said something out of the place and ruin the harmony. While it isn't really violence. You can not expect people to behave the same after you speak something.
    Jan 4, 2019
  15. Kupotepo
    Kupotepo
    @TheoAllen thank you, I got your general statement. Are you just think out loud or you see something?
    Jan 4, 2019
  16. Kupotepo
    Kupotepo
    @TheoAllen, I agree that some countries have a strict rule that put a limit on freedom of speech. Better silent than having to deal the authority.
    Jan 4, 2019
  17. TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    Nah, just personal philosophy out of the grain of the life I sucked.
    Jan 4, 2019
  18. J0pac
    J0pac
    @TheoAllen So If I know something is true I should just be quiet because it'll upset or insult a group of people(or make it a whole world if you want)?It doesn't even have to be "truth",It might be mine truth.But then how will we find a real truth if we all don't share our opinions and discuss them.
    Jan 4, 2019
  19. J0pac
    J0pac
    No matter how insulting they might be to someone.In the end only weak minded people get insulted by someone's words.But then again It's impossible to say something that won't insult at least one person on the whole planet.
    Jan 4, 2019
  20. TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    I mean it's up to you if you want to talk about it and ppl get insulted :p you cant just force someone to not get insulted because you want to speak about it for the reason of "freedom of speech".
    Jan 5, 2019
  21. J0pac
    J0pac
    I agree.It's your right to get insulted,apsolutly.But that doesn't mean I or anybody else should be silenced because it's insulting to you(not you specifically).Because again, we can't regulate what's insulting(hate speech),cause everyone can find something that'll be offensive to them.
    And in the end why should I care If you'll get insulted.
    Jan 5, 2019
  22. TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    Because at some point you will be at the disadvantage.
    Jan 5, 2019
  23. J0pac
    J0pac
    Hmmm I think I understand what you were trying to say from the start now! Tho I don't know how I feel about that XD.
    Jan 5, 2019