RPG Maker Forums

samkfj
samkfj
Yeah I never got into those either. Makes me happy I left competitive gaming when I did.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
I don't mind "competitive gaming". I just dislike that every match feels exactly the same. Every hero plays exactly the same. There's no way to "break the mold" or "experiment" at all. It's a fast a frenetic arena game with no purpose except to chase an "adrenaline buzz". Which, lets be honest... is better served in real life.
Reactions: samkfj
samkfj
samkfj
Yeah--true that. Though I do miss the free money and hotel rooms, but I'd never wanna play something like overwatch or league.
Seacliff
Seacliff
I could never get into LOL or DOTA, which I imagine are closer to what you are referring to. I like Splatoon, which is kind of like a MOBA, but that's the closest I can think of.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
LOL, DOTA2, Paladins, Smite, Overwatch, Monday Night Combat... All those games. They're all MOBAs or Hero Shooters. I kind of miss games where you picked your loadout and NOT your character... and your loadout was TAILORED TO YOUR PLAYSTYLE. You didn't have to make choices of "this is kind of like the way I enjoy playing a game...".
samkfj
samkfj
Yup. That's why I played counterstrike for so long.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
It's why I used to play the Battlefield and CoD franchises. Because your loadout meant something and was you tailoring the experience to how you want to play. I miss that. I miss OPTIONS and DEPTH.
samkfj
samkfj
I only barely got into battlefield. I started with BF1 mostly because am a huge WWI nerd. I loved it. I should play it again. Didn't like the direction they took with V though.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
I actually really hated BF1, which is why I didn't buy BFV. But, I really loved BF3 and BF4... and even Hardline once I got pretty good at it. What I loved about BF3 and BF4 was that it emphasized player skill. You could win fights with any weapon if you learned how to use it... and you could win them consistently. I miss games like that. Winning was up to player skill.
samkfj
samkfj
Yeah I get that totally. I used to see videos about certain guns people would dodge due to being 'bad' but really it's just practice and use. I never tried those but maybe if people still play them I should.
Benny Jackdaw
Benny Jackdaw
What I love about a lot of those games you dislike is that you can also pick a character that appeals to you. You can't do that with Call of Duty or Battlefield, you are kind of just stuck with a hollow shell of a character. Mike, if I want to play is a badass reptile or elephant Beast, tough crap if I'm playing Call of Duty or Battlefield.
samkfj
samkfj
I totally get the appeal, it's just lost for me.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
For me, a character is less about "what they look like" and more about "what they can do". In most of those games, I can choose something I like... but it comes with things that just are NOT my playstyle. If I want to play a support, I almost universally, across almost every version of these sorts of games, have to have 2 or 3 skills I won't use due to not meshing with the way I want to play.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
Then, I have to learn to use stuff I don't want to use, just to "be good" at the game. Rather than letting me be good because I have skill... I have to be good in the context of "what the devs planned for me to do". Which means, everyone will play this character EXACTLY the same.
Benny Jackdaw
Benny Jackdaw
I disagree. I think the way a character looks is important. the looks are what draw me into a character, and if I don't like the way a character looks, then that makes it less likely for me to care about the character.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I picked up For The King in a Humble Bundle sale, and one mechanic that stuck out to me was a physical change to the world map when finishing a side quest. That got me thinking about special map-effect rewards for certain side quests in my game.
Stream will be live shortly with some Witcher 3! Feel free to drop by!
This forum is a great source of procrastination for me.
Today I read "The mouth speaks what the heart is full of." Simple, and reminds me I have a ton of work to do.
Why are cats so darn cute when their tongues are sticking out? If I did that, it wouldn't have the same effect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlosr