Comments on Profile Post by TheoAllen

1. Poryg
    Poryg
    But X can be done with events :p Especially in rm2k3, where you have no choice.
    Feb 9, 2019
  2. TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    This is also don't get why 2k3 can do it. What makes 2k3 different than the most of RM? If X can be done in 2k3, then why ppl not done it in more modern RM?
    Feb 9, 2019
  3. Poryg
    Poryg
    Because rm2k3 forces you to master it. Newer engines have the option to ask for plugins.
    Feb 9, 2019
  4. Prescott
    Prescott
    2k3 also has a bit more of a robust eventing system
    Feb 9, 2019
  5. TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    I certainly believe 2k3 has something that modern rm doesn't in the term of eventing alone. I never tried 2k3. And idk why some ppl still fond of it.
    Feb 9, 2019
  6. MushroomCake28
    MushroomCake28
    I think as programmers we always think the solution is coding. While coding can do anything events can do, it is not always the only solution. I was amazed of what people came up with only events (like a crafting system).
    Feb 9, 2019
  7. TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    Well, I THINK if they know how to code, I don't think they will go back to the primitive menu based eventing :p
    Feb 9, 2019
  8. Kuro DCupu
    Kuro DCupu
    X can be done with eventing. I always amazed of what I came up with only events.
    Feb 9, 2019
  9. MushroomCake28
    MushroomCake28
    @TheoAllen The point isn't that doing it with code is better. It is, since you can customize and control so much more. The point is simply that it is possible to do with events (with some compromise). It's better than nothing for those who don't code.
    Feb 10, 2019
  10. Prescott
    Prescott
    yeah have fun coding a movement route while i just press a few buttons in the event editor.
    Feb 10, 2019
  11. TheoAllen
  12. Poryg
    Poryg
    Coding simpler move routes can easily be done via findDirectionTo if we're feeling lazy. Not that difficult :p
    Feb 10, 2019
    TheoAllen likes this.
  13. TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    Yeah, I forgot MV even has simple pathfinding too, so that makes even easier.
    Feb 10, 2019
  14. Poryg
    Poryg
    Yes. Nevertheless, you've asked why people love rm2k3... It's currently on the decline, because other rms are just considerably more powerful, but for me it's the fact that I'm very comfortable with it.
    Feb 10, 2019
  15. Poryg
    Poryg
    I'm not as comfortable with any other rpg maker than rm2k3. It's simplistic in design, but very powerful. And even though certain tasks may be strenuous, I can go really crazy in it without worrying about performance.
    Feb 10, 2019
  16. Poryg
    Poryg
    Nevertheless, a lot of its power is hidden in commands that disappeared in later versions of rpg maker. The thing I appreciate the most is Value referenced by variables in many places (switch operations, move picture and others). In vxace we have to use script to move a pic to X = value of variable. In rm2k3 it was native.
    Feb 10, 2019
  17. Poryg
    Poryg
    We could also rotate pics and have them wavy, cool little features missing in newer rpg makers without scripting... Among other things, lack of which makes certain things unnecessarily complicated in newer rms. Essentially eventing stuff in 2k3 was so easy compared to newer rms, which is why people still love it.
    Feb 10, 2019
  18. Poryg
    Poryg
    I still agree that due to the power of scripts newer rpg makers are better and more powerful. Mastering the engine will grant you much more power than mastering rm2k3 (hence why I use mv now). But the fact still stands that rm2k3 is the most user-friendly of them all.
    Feb 10, 2019
  19. Prescott
    Prescott
    The point I was trying to make is that if you're trying to do a complex movement route, say, for a cutscene, it would likely take longer to script it than to event it. Instead of typing, you're just clicking a few buttons for events.
    Feb 10, 2019
  20. Prescott
    Prescott
    Coding EVERYTHING in an RM game is incredibly inefficient. Use the tools you have, and make new ones as necessary. The event commands are essentially little script macros that exist to make it easier on you.
    Feb 10, 2019
  21. MushroomCake28
    MushroomCake28
    The point was more that when creating a new system, coding is far superior to events. Events were created for a purpose, and for that purpose only they are better.
    Feb 10, 2019
    Poryg likes this.
  22. Poryg
    Poryg
    Absolutely. The most superior is to combine events with scripts. Just like when I program, sometimes I use my IDE, sometimes I use nwjs dev console, because dev tools are superior in terms of mass modification according to a certain pattern outside of simple find replace, but IDE is superior normally.
    Feb 10, 2019
  23. TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    Feb 10, 2019
    Poryg likes this.
  24. Poryg
    Poryg
    That looks pretty neat!
    Feb 10, 2019
  25. Kuro DCupu
    Kuro DCupu
    I'm using event and script call to create new system. I've been using RM the wrong way all this time. Screw me.
    Feb 10, 2019