Comments on Profile Post by TheoAllen

1. DivideByZero
    DivideByZero
    Depends on the reward. Optional boss might give you something truly awesome.
    Feb 11, 2019
  2. samkfj
    samkfj
    Optional. If it's story--it should be difficult but not impossible if you're under geared or under leveled. Optional implies you have the choice to fight them--so bring your A game as nothing less will be tolerated.
    Feb 11, 2019
  3. Elliot404
    Elliot404
    This reminded me of Lunar 2 Eternal Blue Epilogue. There was an optional boss in a lionhead cave, and was way stronger than Zophar (even with gameshark, I still lost), but it had an awesome reward where you'd get the final Bromide (which was a huge deal to me lol).
    Feb 11, 2019
  4. MushroomCake28
    MushroomCake28
    Optional. My philosophy is that an average jrpg gamer should be able to clear my game without too much trouble (not easy, but not too hard), but those who are more hardcore and want to farm and have challenge can through optional bosses.
    Feb 11, 2019
    Ksi likes this.
  5. Elliot404
    Elliot404
    Speaking of Story Bosses, I remember that Zophar in Lunar 2 had one really strong skill that does more than 1000 damage, BUT it was predictable enough to use that one-turn shield skill on the actors before he use it. However, it can be a tense moment if you used alot of MP that you can't use that shield skill, and the next actor's turn would be after the boss. Bonus: only one actor have that shield skill.
    Feb 11, 2019
  6. Kuro DCupu
    Kuro DCupu
    Optional, duh! Story is for casual.
    Feb 11, 2019
  7. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    From hardest to easiest, IMHO:
    - Optional endgame superboss(es)
    - Final story boss
    - Other optional bosses
    - Other main story bosses
    - First boss.
    - Optional joke boss. :D
    Feb 11, 2019
    Elliot404 and TheoAllen like this.
  8. gstv87
    gstv87
    the final boss should be strong in a way that it requires the player to apply different strategies and combinations of characters as learned by fighting other story bosses.
    side-bosses? you can flip the table with them and make them not follow the pattern, just for the sake of trolling, or color, or variety.
    Feb 11, 2019
    Ksi likes this.
  9. Archeia
    Archeia
    Do it like Star Ocean 2, unlock an optional sidequest that makes the final boss into a superboss.
    Feb 11, 2019
    Elliot404 likes this.
  10. Elliot404
    Elliot404
    @Archeia . . . . . What? You beat the whole game?
    Feb 11, 2019
  11. Archeia
    Archeia
    Yeah Star Ocean 2 is great whatchu saying
    Feb 11, 2019
    Ksi likes this.
  12. Archeia
    Archeia
    I think you're thinking about Star Ocean 3 with the big middle finger endings?
    Feb 11, 2019
  13. Elliot404
    Elliot404
    I couldn't finish Star Ocean 2. Last boss I remember was the double last boss battle, I couldn't manage for even 5 mins, shamefully.
    Feb 11, 2019
  14. Archeia
    Archeia
    Maybe you accidentally unlocked the superboss optional upgrade. I know you can get it accidentally because it's a free time event haha;;;
    Feb 11, 2019
  15. Elliot404
    Elliot404
    I feel like I've been trolled the whole time I've played it lol---
    Feb 11, 2019
  16. TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    Honestly, that sounds like a plan.
    Feb 11, 2019
  17. richter_h
    richter_h
    Depends on what rewards behind the bosses.
    Harder bosses should reward players with phatter lewts and better prizes, regardless of their status in the story and such
    Feb 11, 2019
  18. Ksi
    Ksi
    Optional should be harder. You do want your players to finish your game, after all, and making a stopper boss is pretty much begging them to quit (especially in an indie game). If people want a challenge there's always the super powerful optional bosses they can boast about beating.
    Feb 11, 2019
    caethyril likes this.
  19. Ksi
    Ksi
    Hell, maybe have the optional bosses upgrade the story bosses (so the players know they can handle it) to be on par with the optional ones. If you get all the optional bosses before the final boss, it upgrades him to his final ultra form and good luck beating that! Or, you know, do a FF7 and have it that if you grind to level 100 you'll get the souped-up version of Sephiroth.
    Feb 11, 2019
  20. Elliot404
    Elliot404
    I mean, I don't want to sound mean, but the optional event in Star Ocean 2 part to make the boss who is already strong to even a stronger boss was quite hard for me to complete it- that's like punishing the player for activating the event they didn't even know it existed.
    Feb 11, 2019
  21. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Optional. And do NOT make the story bosses upgrade via any flags. I HATE it when games do that, as if you accidentally do it, you cannot undo it once you learn you can't handle the upgraded version.
    Feb 11, 2019
  22. Archeia
    Archeia
    Just make sure it's clear that when they do that it can affect the final boss. I still think it's a great way to have an epic battle against a final boss showdown, especially for min max players like me. I don't like it when optional bosses are the only ones who are a threat.
    Feb 11, 2019
    caethyril likes this.
  23. trouble time
    trouble time
    Imo the optional stuff should be harder
    Feb 11, 2019
  24. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    @Archeia : That might work. Honestly though I'd like it better if the boss maybe started out in the strongest version and instead you did actions to weaken it. Then if you want the challenge you just fight it right away.
    Feb 11, 2019
    caethyril and trouble time like this.
  25. MushroomCake28
    MushroomCake28
    Isn't that becoming a thread topic rather than a status post?
    Feb 12, 2019