RPG Maker Forums

Mystic_Enigma
Mystic_Enigma
I'm trying to make my Bosses tough but fair. At least a step up from the encounters you have on the field, but not so much that you have to grind for a good while before you stand a chance!
bgillisp
bgillisp
@Mystic_Enigma : I personally like that better than most bosses in games I've played these days. I actually tested to see if one could win my game by only doing the required fights. The answer is yes you can, though you'll have to know the game inside and out to do it.
bgillisp
bgillisp
As in, you need to know where every secret room is. Every bosses pattern. When to guard. Which skills you *must* learn ASAP, as you will probably only be able to learn 50% of them playing it this way.
OmnislashXX
OmnislashXX
Welcome to nobody playing your game. Seriously. First bosses are not meant to be challeging, they're meant to give off a slightly harder or longer encounter.
TheoAllen
TheoAllen
I dont like making early bosses hard. Because I fear the latter bosses will feel easier or I'm just run out of the idea.
bgillisp
bgillisp
@OmnislashXX : That is true. That's why I actually made my first 3 bosses (all Chapter 1 bosses) actually kinda easy, to ease the player into things. Starting with Chapter 2 I ramp up the difficulty a little though.
Redeye
Redeye
@OmnislashXX It's not like the boss in question can easily game over you, but if it somehow does, you either A.) Weren't paying attention at all, or B.) Not using the PLENTIFUL amount of resources I gave you beforehand.
Redeye
Redeye
Besides, making your first boss "just a tougher normal encounter" is dull and will make the player even more uninterested. The first boss is not only the end of the player's first impressions, but also a test of your fundamental mechanics. "Just a tougher normal encounter" is not a test, it's a trick question on a warm-up review, about the same level as a complex troop of normal baddies.
Redeye
Redeye
The first boss shouldn't kick your ass, but it SHOULD be tricky. Something you can't just win with brute force. That's what makes a perfect first boss.
TheoAllen
TheoAllen
Funny, my first boss is actually teaching u how to brute force. When the damage reached a certain threshold, it will trigger a special move that slightly bumps the overall dmg in that turn. You're racing with the boss who would win.
bgillisp
bgillisp
You might be interested then to know this. Persona4's first boss caused MANY players to rage quit that game when it first came out, as they did exactly what you mentioned. And because of that, the forum was flooded with many posts of how cheap that boss was or how to beat that $@%^ boss or I quit this game.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Seems like people have stopped looking both ways before crossing the road nowadays. Blindly walking out into a into a road only ends in disaster.
Just finished planning out the skeleton of the main quest line of my new game. I'm so excited for it!
Integrating Jason Perry's japan tile set while listening to Murray Atkinson's Heaven and Earth background music.
I forgot I had an account on rpgmakercentral lol
"What do you think the best place to visit on this cold days?" "Hell..."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keyboardjockey