RPG Maker Forums

Poryg
Poryg
Not afraid, not concerned, not even flinching. It's simply very difficult to make a tense enough atmosphere in a 2d horror game to generate fear. And of course jumpscares are just a cheap way.
Sharm
Sharm
I do, but I'm a scaredy cat who doesn't play horror ever and not your target audience.
Shake0615
Shake0615
@Poryg That's the way I feel about it too. I've had a horror story in the works for years (as a novella), but I can't imagine the tension will transfer to this medium well. I've played a lot of horror games but I'm struggling to think of 2D ones that did it really well.
Bastrophian
Bastrophian
I believe they can be. Though most of the horror happens in the writing, and not so much in the visual aspects of the game, I think. But its hard... really hard.
Bastrophian
Bastrophian
I think its easier to make/write a "Suspense" driven game (is that a good phrasing?) with horror/scary aspects to it. Pocket Mirror, if you've heard of it, did a decent job, but it wasint really all that scary too me... but it sure was riveting in my opinion :3 .
Shake0615
Shake0615
@KaBlooZio That's a good way of looking at it. I think ultimately that's what I would be going for - a narrative-driven suspense game with horror elements. I vaguely remember seeing Pocket Mirror but I think I'll give it a try. "Riveting" is a pretty high compliment!
Knighteriius
Knighteriius
KaBlooZio makes some good points. I love horror but not in that it’s very scary, more in that it mostly comes with a good story and very creepy elements.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Im free today . finally have some time to continue coding . yes!
Regret that I wasn't able to actually finish my igmc entry in time for the actual igmc. Will probably just offload it as a standalone thing.
I'm a master in procrastination and have finally decided to educate people in this art in a seminar in Calais. Please don't come. I won't be there.
Testing some of my custom battlers (they're all trash, sorry).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phimvietsub