Comments on Profile Post by Sharm

1. Sharm
    Sharm
    That would be 2 frames for front, 2 for back, 3 for the side. Then the engine would flip frames for the missing parts. I'm glad they didn't though, I'm still mourning the loss of round corners, I don't need symmetrical characters making my life harder too.
    Apr 3, 2019
    AmieLK likes this.
  2. AmieLK
    AmieLK
    God could you even imagine? Especially with how much more detail is visible in MV. The FIRST thing I'd do was go digging for a work-around.
    Apr 3, 2019
  3. Sharm
    Sharm
    Me too! I'm still frustrated by the lack of a good workaround for the way the water tiles animate. The work-around for getting rid of the squared corners is already pretty annoying. The smaller autotile can be nice sometimes, when the sides are fairly square and simple, but most of the time I'd rather have a whole tile to play with. None of these were a problem in XP.
    Apr 3, 2019
  4. AmieLK
    AmieLK
    No lie: I was originally just going to paint/animate the river in Vita Unlikely. Then it looked WAY out of place, so everything else started getting upgraded too. But the whole thing came from frustration with the water tiles in MV. They're so weirdly blocky, given all the detail and everything that went into other placeable tiles.
    Apr 3, 2019
  5. Sharm
    Sharm
    It's worse when you want to do something like ocean waves, since the animations are all ping-pong style. It makes it look less like waves and more like a giant slime breathing.
    Apr 3, 2019
    AmieLK likes this.
  6. Sharm
    Sharm
    For Pixel Myth I used transparent A tiles combined with an animated parallax layer behind the map to make it look right. Or you could use the normal water and add in a sprite for rounded corners, but then the animation isn't synced up with the rest of the water. Neither was a perfect solution, but it's better than nothing.
    Apr 3, 2019
    AmieLK likes this.
  7. AmieLK
    AmieLK
    My solution: just redo all of it. Everything. Paint it all. No breathing ooze allowed here.
    Apr 3, 2019
  8. gstv87
    gstv87
    because, file size.
    I've been working with smoother animations in VX, and the file size skyrockets if you don't plan your palettes carefully.
    Apr 3, 2019
  9. Sharm
    Sharm
    A larger file size is why I can't have a cycle animation instead of a pingpong one? Or why I have to make two corners for the autotiles instead of just one? I'd rather have more control of the art and have to plan carefully than having to fight the program to get a decent looking map, but I don't think it's going to change my file size for the worse if I had the option.
    Apr 3, 2019
  10. Sharm
    Sharm
    Right now, to work around the limitations of the mapping system I have to add in more art than I would normally. It's not hard to do, luckily, but it's not making my project any smaller to have it this way.
    Apr 3, 2019
  11. Sharm
    Sharm
    Maybe my main problem is that I see RM as a program for artists to not need programmers to make a game. So these artist unfriendly limitations like square corners, no animation flow control, overly limited layers, no built in asset flipping, and such, they all seem contrary to the purpose of the engine. I need to come to terms with the fact that this isn't a program made for artists, I suppose.
    Apr 3, 2019
    AmieLK likes this.
  12. AmieLK
    AmieLK
    Yeah most--no, wait *all*--of the plugins I'll be using will be to modify graphics/animations in some way, shape or form.
    Apr 5, 2019
  13. Sharm
    Sharm
    Mine too! For me, the point of making an RPG is seeing my art come alive. I remember when I first finished the animations for Pixel Myth, I was in my little demo map turning the faucet on and off for ages, just so thrilled to watch it work.
    Apr 5, 2019
    AmieLK likes this.
  14. AmieLK
    AmieLK
    Omg I'm gonna have to go check that out. That's spectacular.
    Apr 5, 2019
    Sharm likes this.
  15. Sharm
    Sharm
    It wasn't important to the set to add it, but I really love tiny details like that, especially interactive ones. It makes a game feel alive.
    Apr 5, 2019
    AmieLK likes this.
  16. AmieLK
    AmieLK
    Whole heartedly agreed. I'm making multiple frames for various trees for wind effects. I love games where the setting feels alive and changing.
    Apr 6, 2019
  17. Sharm
    Sharm
    It's more work, but so beautiful and engaging. I haven't done anything like that yet with my latest set, I'm too focused on trying to make all the basics first, but maybe at some point I can. Or maybe when I get back to working on Pixel Myth.
    Apr 6, 2019
    AmieLK likes this.
  18. Sharm
    Sharm
    Pixel Myth, for me, is about doing the art in depth and not worrying so much about lots of breadth, while my other set is about skipping the depth and getting more breadth.
    Apr 6, 2019
    AmieLK likes this.
  19. AmieLK
    AmieLK
    Honestly at this point I'm just hyperfocused on bringing Mossley to life as much as I can. Making the maps, the sprites, animations, all that. I figure if I make a doll house and dolls for myself, it'll be fun to engage with them in puzzle making later. Plus I'll have a metric ton of painted resources I can release in packs!
    Apr 6, 2019
    Sharm likes this.
  20. AmieLK
    AmieLK
    Like I was going to use full screen tints for time change indications but honestly? That saps a lot of the contrast and prettiness away from the potential. So I'll probably just. Custom paint settings for morning, afternoon, evening, and night. It'll look waaayyy better that way.
    Apr 6, 2019
  21. Sharm
    Sharm
    That sounds both pretty and like a lot of work. I agree with the dollhouse thing, that's mostly what I do when I make stuff in RM. I enjoy the art part and there's nothing wrong with focusing on the part I enjoy.
    Apr 6, 2019
    AmieLK likes this.
  22. AmieLK
    AmieLK
    Weirdly? Though I adore the step, inking by FAR takes the longest for me. It makes my paintings waaay more precise, which is necessary for projects like this. But the painting/colouring bit? Speedy. So as far as extra work goes, it's not too bad!
    Apr 6, 2019