RPG Maker Forums

Sharm
Sharm
That would be 2 frames for front, 2 for back, 3 for the side. Then the engine would flip frames for the missing parts. I'm glad they didn't though, I'm still mourning the loss of round corners, I don't need symmetrical characters making my life harder too.
Reactions: AmieLK
AmieLK
AmieLK
God could you even imagine? Especially with how much more detail is visible in MV. The FIRST thing I'd do was go digging for a work-around.
Sharm
Sharm
Me too! I'm still frustrated by the lack of a good workaround for the way the water tiles animate. The work-around for getting rid of the squared corners is already pretty annoying. The smaller autotile can be nice sometimes, when the sides are fairly square and simple, but most of the time I'd rather have a whole tile to play with. None of these were a problem in XP.
AmieLK
AmieLK
No lie: I was originally just going to paint/animate the river in Vita Unlikely. Then it looked WAY out of place, so everything else started getting upgraded too. But the whole thing came from frustration with the water tiles in MV. They're so weirdly blocky, given all the detail and everything that went into other placeable tiles.
Sharm
Sharm
It's worse when you want to do something like ocean waves, since the animations are all ping-pong style. It makes it look less like waves and more like a giant slime breathing.
Sharm
Sharm
For Pixel Myth I used transparent A tiles combined with an animated parallax layer behind the map to make it look right. Or you could use the normal water and add in a sprite for rounded corners, but then the animation isn't synced up with the rest of the water. Neither was a perfect solution, but it's better than nothing.
AmieLK
AmieLK
My solution: just redo all of it. Everything. Paint it all. No breathing ooze allowed here.
gstv87
gstv87
because, file size.
I've been working with smoother animations in VX, and the file size skyrockets if you don't plan your palettes carefully.
Sharm
Sharm
A larger file size is why I can't have a cycle animation instead of a pingpong one? Or why I have to make two corners for the autotiles instead of just one? I'd rather have more control of the art and have to plan carefully than having to fight the program to get a decent looking map, but I don't think it's going to change my file size for the worse if I had the option.
Sharm
Sharm
Right now, to work around the limitations of the mapping system I have to add in more art than I would normally. It's not hard to do, luckily, but it's not making my project any smaller to have it this way.
Sharm
Sharm
Maybe my main problem is that I see RM as a program for artists to not need programmers to make a game. So these artist unfriendly limitations like square corners, no animation flow control, overly limited layers, no built in asset flipping, and such, they all seem contrary to the purpose of the engine. I need to come to terms with the fact that this isn't a program made for artists, I suppose.
AmieLK
AmieLK
Yeah most--no, wait *all*--of the plugins I'll be using will be to modify graphics/animations in some way, shape or form.
Sharm
Sharm
Mine too! For me, the point of making an RPG is seeing my art come alive. I remember when I first finished the animations for Pixel Myth, I was in my little demo map turning the faucet on and off for ages, just so thrilled to watch it work.
AmieLK
AmieLK
Omg I'm gonna have to go check that out. That's spectacular.
Reactions: Sharm
Sharm
Sharm
It wasn't important to the set to add it, but I really love tiny details like that, especially interactive ones. It makes a game feel alive.
AmieLK
AmieLK
Whole heartedly agreed. I'm making multiple frames for various trees for wind effects. I love games where the setting feels alive and changing.
Sharm
Sharm
It's more work, but so beautiful and engaging. I haven't done anything like that yet with my latest set, I'm too focused on trying to make all the basics first, but maybe at some point I can. Or maybe when I get back to working on Pixel Myth.
Sharm
Sharm
Pixel Myth, for me, is about doing the art in depth and not worrying so much about lots of breadth, while my other set is about skipping the depth and getting more breadth.
AmieLK
AmieLK
Honestly at this point I'm just hyperfocused on bringing Mossley to life as much as I can. Making the maps, the sprites, animations, all that. I figure if I make a doll house and dolls for myself, it'll be fun to engage with them in puzzle making later. Plus I'll have a metric ton of painted resources I can release in packs!
Reactions: Sharm

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

It seems like this is going to be another remote semester. RIP.
I don't like linear gear progression in games. I'd like to see more gear be useful from start to finish. This is also true for skills. I also like finding overpowered gear, and don't enjoy games that are too balanced.
Framework is getting closer to completion. Adding more QoL changes for users.
I'm very excited with DE:VOID! And FYI Darkness of Hope - The Pocket Watch in development, so please be excited!
The more I look at the QPlugins... The more I am amazed at what they can do. Which I'm not going to lie is pretty awkward, because I already consider them far and away the best plugins MV has to offer. :kaoback:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrRenato