Comments on Profile Post by Prescott

1. Prescott
    Apr 25, 2019
    Finnuval likes this.
  2. Finnuval
    Finnuval
    Read it :) Some good points though I also understand not every game wanting to be accessible to everyone (not difficulty wise but regarding some of the other points you mentioned) as sometimes toning some of those things down influences the story-telling itself. Still, good points.
    Apr 25, 2019
    Philosophus Vagus and Prescott like this.
  3. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    I have to disagree regarding from games/difficulty. I dont think there are many people out there who want to keep the games difficult just to "get hard after beating a tough boss" so much as that the puzzle of how to survive encounters is 90% of the game. If you are good enough people have beaten those games in less than an hour.
    Apr 25, 2019
  4. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    I dont believe many people would enjoy a fromsoft game with the combat dumbed down, rather, most would likely be pissed that the full priced AAA they bought only had 45 minutes of content before the end credits rolled.
    Apr 25, 2019
  5. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    Not that I'm anti-accessability, I love all the custom controllers that exist to suit disabilities and colorblind modes and aliasing that doesn't cause seizures are great and that we should consider such things whenever possible. At the same time I think we need to be careful not to patronize and disrespect people in our quest to be "accessable", as I feel some journalists in this debate have done.
    Apr 25, 2019
  6. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    Whoops, I meant to only load the video. Anyway, accessibility is great but I don't think devs should have to compromise core gameplay for it. As saturated as the market is there's room for both games built around challenge and access, and there are audiences that appreciate both. No need to mold them all to appeal to those who face challenges, because not even everyone who does wants such catering.
    Apr 25, 2019
  7. Philosophus Vagus
    Apr 25, 2019
  8. Prescott
    Prescott
    @Philosophus Vagus the thing you're missing though is that the core gameplay doesn't need to be compromised. Someone who loves the typical From Software game design of it being incredibly hard wouldn't have to compromise on that experience if they didn't want to.
    Apr 27, 2019
  9. Prescott
    Prescott
    Someone who doesn't like that kind of experience could just flip a difficulty switch and, although the combat would be changed up, the rest of the experience would remain the same. The art direction, the sound direction, etc. The developer doesn't make the compromise, the player does.
    Apr 27, 2019
  10. Prescott
    Prescott
    Therefore, if a player is upset they only got 45 minutes out of the game, they should probably play it on a harder difficulty. The easy solution is to just describe the difficulty levels as "Classic" or "Easy/Assisted" and hell, maybe even throw in an "Insane" difficulty. It's not hard and it gives players more options on how they want to experience the game.
    Apr 27, 2019