Comments on Profile Post by Galenmereth

1. definite_lee
    definite_lee
    Interesting, but what would stop a player from just changing their computer time settings like this to alter the flow of the game?
    May 3, 2019
  2. Galenmereth
    Galenmereth
    Nothing. It’s just an example to show a live updated Switch that runs performantly without a need for a parallel process event :)
    May 3, 2019
    definite_lee likes this.
  3. Bonkers
    Bonkers
    Very impressive!
    May 3, 2019
  4. ??????
    ??????
    functionality wise - awesome. programming wise - ewww, evals...
    May 3, 2019
  5. Galenmereth
    Galenmereth
    Actually not evals! I wrap the commands in a new anonymous Function with the string as content, and a “use strict”; prefix, so that both error debugging and runtime safety is significantly improved
    May 3, 2019
  6. Galenmereth
    Galenmereth
    ie. Function(‘“use strict”; ’ + command)();

This causes any errors to show a proper stack trace
    May 3, 2019
    Bonkers likes this.
  7. Galenmereth
    Galenmereth
    Technically it is still evaluating a string as code and not optimal, but at least this is scoped a bit more safely. I wish there was a better way but alas.
    May 3, 2019
  8. ??????
    ??????
    lol yea I figured it would be the wrapped functions, but its still an eval as you say :p
    Don't get me wrong, I've done similar in the past myself... :D
    May 3, 2019
  9. ??????
    May 3, 2019
  10. Galenmereth
    Galenmereth
    MV internally does it with the "Script" event commands as well, so in that context I'd say it's OK. But yeah, generally to be avoided as much as one can. Especially if the input can in any way come from the end user (player), then it's absolutely verboten ;)
    May 3, 2019
    ?????? likes this.
  11. ??????
    ??????
    yea for sure, but when a user can F12 and type $gameParty... it kinda defeats any hope of protection anyway - at least from someone who knows roughly what they are doing lol
    May 3, 2019
  12. Galenmereth
    Galenmereth
    True, although you can disable that key and make it harder. It’s not much different from opening the console in most other games. I’ve completely broken Fallout 4 that way

But when the game is played as intended, and user input is handled, at least then you want it to be safely handled.
    May 3, 2019
  13. ??????
    ??????
    yea for sure, there are ways to make it more tedious for 'hackers'. but you know yourself, its never going to be perfect security :)
    May 3, 2019