Comments on Profile Post by TheoAllen

1. cabfe
    cabfe
    Talent is an inborn ability. Or were you talking about skill instead?
    May 23, 2019
  2. MushroomCake28
    MushroomCake28
    Talent is indeed inborn by definition, but it is true that people often confuse talent and skill. Since part of IQ is genetic, part of our ability to do something is inborn and not nurtured. However, in our everyday life, for most thing we do hard work and skill is far more important than talent.
    May 23, 2019
  3. Poryg
    Poryg
    Talent is not made from effort. Skill is made from effort, talent only makes that skill easier to attain.
    May 23, 2019
    mlogan likes this.
  4. PixelHeart
    PixelHeart
    Or maybe they will even PAY you, *GASP*!.... maybe. :<
    May 23, 2019
  5. TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    but do ppl say "omg, you're so skilled" instead?
    May 23, 2019
  6. Ebanyle
    Ebanyle
    I think it's just that people grew used to say "talented" instead of "skilled", besides that "talent" seems more artistic/emotional/idk than skilled, so they probably opt by using a word that would feel more complimentary. But people tend to confuse both, yes
    May 23, 2019
  7. MushroomCake28
    MushroomCake28
    It's mostly that people that aren't knowledgeable in an area are too easily impress by someone who has some bare knowledge in that area. Just think about a kid playing an easy mozart sonata, everyone will think he has insane talent.
    May 23, 2019
    Ebanyle likes this.
  8. Sharm
    Sharm
    I hate the "You're so talented!" line too. I often feel like replying "Uh, no, I worked hard for this." but instead I smile and pretend they said skilled. Unless they pull out the "I'd give anything to be able to draw like that!" line. There's no way they meant skilled if they say that. Haaaaate that line.
    May 23, 2019
  9. Mystic_Enigma
    Mystic_Enigma
    I always thought the two phrases meant essentially the same thing? It'd be a rare day if I ever received either compliment!
    May 23, 2019
  10. Sharm
    Sharm
    "You're so talented" isn't the best wording, but the intent is to say "I like this thing that you do" so it's fine. But "I'd give anything to be able to draw like that" isn't that at all. First, it makes it about them, not you, then it's saying that you didn't give anything up to get good at art, and lastly, it's a lie! If they'd give anything, they'd be able to draw!
    May 23, 2019
  11. Sharm
    Sharm
    It's just, ugh, it's just such a backhanded insult, I can't stand it. I know it's not intended to be mean, but that doesn't change the fact that it is. I worked hard, really hard, at my art ability. I gave things up to do it. And then someone tries to give me a "compliment" by telling me that I only lucked into it. ARGSTHSFRJ!!!!
    May 23, 2019
    ?????? likes this.
  12. MushroomCake28
    MushroomCake28
    Well a certain part of it is pure inborn talent, but that talent doesn't do much without hard work. It's like those successful people in Silicon Valley: they were lucky to be born with their high IQ, but what got them there is there hard work and 80+ hours of work a week.
    May 23, 2019
  13. Sharm
    Sharm
    Sometimes it is, but sometimes talent isn't as much of a factor as it seems. I won't deny that I have a talent in art, but I've been passed up by people who have less talent and more drive than me more than once, and I've done the same to others who are more talented than me but aren't working as hard.
    May 23, 2019
  14. MushroomCake28
    MushroomCake28
    Talent and hard work aren't binary variables: no one has 0 talent or 100% talent in something, and the same applies for work (although some people do literally 0 work lol). My point was just that it's almost always a combination of talent of hard work, with varying degree of importance.
    May 23, 2019
    Sharm likes this.
  15. MushroomCake28
    MushroomCake28
    Like hard work is usually more important than talent, but the ratio varies depending on the skill, the level, the person, etc.
    May 23, 2019
  16. Sharm
    Sharm
    Agreed.
    May 23, 2019
  17. ??????
    ??????
    practice makes perfect!
    May 23, 2019
    MushroomCake28 likes this.
  18. Sharm
    Sharm
    My mind always goes to a teacher saying "Perfect practice makes perfect." when I hear that phrase. His point was that if you practice something wrong over and over, you'll get really good at doing it wrong. I think mistakes in practice are fine, but focused practice is way more useful than just general practicing.
    May 23, 2019
    Shaz and ?????? like this.
  19. ??????
    ??????
    fair enough :D
    practice really only makes perfect when your able to properly learn from your mistakes and improve over time.
    May 23, 2019
    Sharm likes this.
  20. Sharm
    Sharm
    The really funny thing is that in a way, my teacher was wrong too. There's a challenge out there where you record yourself doing something you want to get better at, but you have to do that thing a lot of days in a row. 90 or 100 or something? Anyway, those people all get drastically better at it, doesn't matter what it is. Brains are awesome that way.
    May 23, 2019
    Kwerty and ?????? like this.
  21. Poryg
    Poryg
    I'm talented at sleeping, I can do it with my eyes closed. And even weirder, once I even did it with my eyes open (Definitely not worth bragging though, the sped up time and hallucinations make it a rather unpleasant experience).
    May 23, 2019
    ?????? likes this.