Comments on Profile Post by MushroomCake28

1. MushroomCake28
    MushroomCake28
    trying to make stuff work with events... my project is almost done so I guess I learned it a bit late for this project.
    May 31, 2019
    Elliott404 likes this.
  2. TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    I'm still not a fan of running common event though :p
    May 31, 2019
    MushroomCake28 likes this.
  3. MushroomCake28
    MushroomCake28
    Yeah me neither. But it's just the fact that you can do it that blows my mind lol.
    May 31, 2019
  4. Kes
    Kes
    I, on the other hand, think of common events as a good friend - though I don't use them without a specific call.
    @MushroomCake28 and @TheoAllen Why do you dislike them?
    May 31, 2019
  5. Poryg
    Poryg
    They bloat the game loop much more than code.
    May 31, 2019
  6. TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    It's hard to say why, but basically what Poryg said. Whether a common event or regular event, they serve only for a cutscene. But if it's a game mechanic, I resort a code because it's just more efficient and easy to manage. And I've seen a little application of the common event for cutscenes.
    May 31, 2019
  7. Shaz
    Shaz
    They are used for many more things than cutscenes. If that's all you're using them for, you should play around a bit more with them :)
    May 31, 2019
  8. TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    I don't see why when I can just hardcode stuff I want instead of using common event. In fact, even my cutscenes are also including code eval to 'simplify' a lot of things.
    May 31, 2019
  9. Poryg
    Poryg
    I have to agree. I've seen many things that were easier to implement with code than they were with eventing and on top of that they did not bloat the code as much as common events do. We can thank MV for being inefficient for that.
    May 31, 2019
  10. Shaz
    Shaz
    I use common events for exactly that - events that are common throughout the game. So I don't have to event the same (or nearly the same) thing over and over ... and if I want to change something in them all, I only have to change it in one place.
    May 31, 2019
  11. TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    That I already solved with ur clone event script though.
    May 31, 2019
    Shaz likes this.
  12. FleshToDust
    FleshToDust
    If you're a coder I don't see why you don't just code everything as eventing is much more tedious depending how complex the thing you're doing is.
    May 31, 2019
  13. MushroomCake28
    MushroomCake28
    Yeah, my point was just that since I'm a coder, I tend to just code something that is a bit complex instead of trying to think how to implement it with common events.
    Jun 1, 2019
  14. MushroomCake28
    MushroomCake28
    @Kes Well I don't dislike them. I still use them for their intended purposes: for recurring events. But anything beyond that will be done by code (ex: time, window pop out, minimap, etc.). So basically I just use them "creatively".
    Jun 1, 2019
  15. Ebanyle
    Ebanyle
    I would prefer to do them by code if I knew how to :p
    Jun 1, 2019