Comments on Profile Post by Poryg

1. Poryg
    Poryg
    Yesterday I almost dropped a barbell on myself due to a sudden talk right next to me and me having a reflex need to look what's going on. Guess I'll just carry earmuffs to the gym :D
    Jun 1, 2019
  2. gstv87
    gstv87
    two things: either you're easily scared or distracted, OR, that gym doesn't make you feel comfortable enough.
    if you were comfortable, you'd mute everything right out.
    happens to me when I go to sleep.... it can be day or night, there may or may not be chatter around, but when I'm down, I'm down.... there could be the end of the world in the next ten minutes, I don't care, I'm snoring.
    Jun 1, 2019
  3. Poryg
    Poryg
    With passing time it's harder for me to maintain focus. Interestingly enough, I don't get distracted by things that belong in the area. For example people breathing noisily are fine. Sounds of machines are fine. Personal trainers talking are fine... But unrelated talk and laughter,...
    Jun 1, 2019
  4. BlueMage
    BlueMage
    Rightttt, especially when you have a noisy nextdoor neighbour, god!
    Jun 1, 2019
  5. Poryg
    Poryg
    We don't have problem with noisy neighbors, this apartment house has good walls.
    Jun 1, 2019
  6. Dreadshadow
    Dreadshadow
    Is that in general? Are you by any chance hypersensitive to sound? Oh! And you are NOT weird. Because ALL of the people are weird in a relative way. There is no such a thing as "weird" for me. And now I sound like a weirdo. Oh wait, I just said that all of us are weird in a way or another. :p
    Jun 1, 2019
  7. Poryg
    Poryg
    I'm not hypersensitive to sound. That is in general, distractions get me to lose focus immediately, which also generates frustration. Yesterday I left the gym rather angry due to the constant distraction. Spoteee trolling me beyond belief, a girl with see-through leggings, two people chatting and taking up important machines, misplaced equipment, broken equipment,...
    Jun 1, 2019
    Dreadshadow likes this.
  8. Sharm
    Sharm
    Most people I know who have this kind of problem get some sort of home gym. I also live in the US though, so maybe it's not as easy of an option for you.
    Jun 1, 2019
  9. Poryg
    Poryg
    Small flat, out of the question.
    Jun 1, 2019
  10. Sharm
    Sharm
    There are small home gym solutions too. You can't get the exact same equipment of course, but there's some alternatives. I've used bottles of water as weights before, for instance.
    Jun 1, 2019
  11. Poryg
    Poryg
    Bottles of water are practical as weights only when they're small, 2l bottles are already impractical due to low density. Not to mention, it still stands that barbell exercises (bench press, deadlift and squat) give you the biggest bang for your buck, because they allow you to overload your body.
    Jun 1, 2019
  12. Poryg
    Poryg
    I'd need metal objects in my home as improvised workout tools. And that ain't gonna happen, because many of them are impractical for exercises due to being imbalanced (risks of injuries). So gym is always going to be my safest bet.
    Jun 1, 2019
  13. Dreadshadow
    Dreadshadow
    "a girl with see-through leggings" yeah ok your distraction is excused. People talk about stuff in the gym because it might be the only time they meet their buddies. I can relate, I never thought that could be annoying though.
    Jun 1, 2019
  14. BlueMage
    BlueMage
    Rightttt, not annoying as a noisy neighbour lol
    Jun 1, 2019
  15. Kupotepo
    Kupotepo
    @Poryg, you may want to try to bring a headphone to listen to music, or texting I see people did it. lol bring food to eat at the gym to annoy by eating out loud if you want get a message to a person next to you.
    Jun 2, 2019
  16. Poryg
    Poryg
    @Kupotepo I'd need my ear muffs, not just headphones. I tried it once with just headphones and encountered a rather loud pair of German speaking people. Also, food to gym, no thanks, I'm not crazy. For a good workout the only thing worse than full stomach is empty one.
    Jun 2, 2019
  17. Kupotepo
    Kupotepo
    @Poryg, I know it sound crazy, but some people need to be teach to be respectfully to others when using a public facility. As hamlet do a method of his madness. Some need to see their reflection on the mirror. I do not know how extream your situations are, so.
    Jun 2, 2019
  18. Poryg
    Poryg
    Usually the situation is not so extreme I'd need to make the gym experience bad for everyone else. So food would be out of the question anyway.
    Jun 2, 2019
  19. Kupotepo
    Kupotepo
    @Poryg, ok. I though it was over the top situation.
    Jun 2, 2019
  20. mlogan
    mlogan
    You would hate my gym then.
    Jun 2, 2019
  21. Poryg
    Poryg
    Btw. @Dreadshadow I can absolutely understand if people hang out and chat in the gym as long as they fulfill these criteria:
    1. Volume. Keep it down. Don't laugh.
    2. So not waste time. I've seen people take an easy rep and then sit there for five mins blocking a machine.That's like three reps.
    Jun 2, 2019
    Dreadshadow likes this.
  22. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    Do they have yard sales in your country? Because if they do you can get a home gym for less than the cost of a years membership at most gyms if you do a little looking around.
    Jun 2, 2019
  23. Poryg
    Poryg
    Tiny apartment. Out of the question.
    Jun 2, 2019