RPG Maker Forums

Poryg
Poryg
Java is indeed confusing, that's why MV doesn't use Java :D
Amane Kagari
Amane Kagari
Javascript isn't Java. I think you got confused. Here: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-Java-and-JavaScript

Javascript is also really easy to learn. And also, you'll most likely not required any scripting knowledge in MV unless you're planning to do something really big that requires scripts. But there's plenty of plugins out here in this forum alone that will fill in a lot of what people want.
Amane Kagari
Amane Kagari
And also, there are more complicated programming languages than JS. Coding itself is complicated for beginners just like learning any new languages or new skills in general. But once you get the hang of it (with so many free tutorials out there), it's easy. Just requires practice practice practice!
ZephyrAM
ZephyrAM
Ruby is honestly the one I find confusing, but that's only because it's syntax is 'so' different from every other language. After learning C++ initially, the C's, Java, JS, Python.. all easy. Ruby? Nope XD
Poryg
Poryg
They say, Jaava to Javascript is like Ham to Hamster :D
standardplayer
standardplayer
I like MV the best overall so far, I've used the makers since XP. There are features I miss from older versions, but programming in JavaScript is so easy, and the plugin system is, altogether, an improvement imo.
Learning JavaScript is really easy, just remember it's not actually an OOP language
Poryg
Poryg
OOP can still be done in it quite well though. Especially since the ES6 syntax makes it more similar to traditional OOP lanfuages.
standardplayer
standardplayer
@Poryg no doubt, every EcmaScript brings it a bit closer. The more it resembles C-based languages, the happier I am
sleepy_sealion
sleepy_sealion
I kind of find it hard to believe that Ruby is more difficult than this. But maybe I'll ask around the script threads later and see if I can get my Visual Battlers converted for MV.
standardplayer
standardplayer
@sleepy_sealion than JavaScript? The thing that actually makes JS easy is that it is a weakly typed programming language. You pretty much don't have to specify data types, cast/convert, etc. It's hard to say it properly here, but altogether JS is even easier when you already know OOP
Reactions: Poryg
Poryg
Poryg
Yeah. My favorite thing about Javascript is, everything is an object and in regards to objects there's certain undefined behavior you can work with. For example, this code will compile just fine:
Poryg
Poryg
var x = 5;
x.y = x.z ? 3 : 4;
console.log (x.y); //prints 4

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

On the plus side, if all this rioting sparks another Covid outbreak... I will have a whole lot of time to work on my game. Not exactly how I wanted to get that time, but hey I'm a glass is half full... of RM kind of guy. :LZSwink:
A video once in a while won't hurt.
Have a craving for a Nesquik milkshake. No idea why. Haven't had one since I was a kid. lol. I remember them kinda tasting nice, but also leaving a lot of nasty powder at the bottom of the cup.
The more I think about it, the weirdest part of going to work post-virus will probably be getting used to seeing my coworkers' mouths again. :LZYshock:
I think one of my weirdest realizations is that my speed of game development would probably be about the same if I *didn't* work a full-time manual labor job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guangdi