Comments on Profile Post by bgillisp

1. NeoFantasy
    NeoFantasy
    They probably balance out once people start buying when the sale starts.
    Jun 21, 2019
    Marsigne likes this.
  2. Amane Kagari
    Amane Kagari
    Aye.... Those Steam sales always hurts little guys like us. They really should let people choose whether they want their products to be on their many "sales". Or at least if they're going to discount something, at least promote them for us so that more people would buy. But instead, they only promote the big guys.
    Jun 21, 2019
    Marsigne, OmnislashXX and NeoFantasy like this.
  3. Amane Kagari
    Amane Kagari
    *Sighs* Being the "little guys" sometimes suck in a sense.
    Jun 21, 2019
    Marsigne and OmnislashXX like this.
  4. NeoFantasy
    NeoFantasy
    You don't get to choose whether your product get's discounted or not?
    Jun 21, 2019
    Marsigne and Amane Kagari like this.
  5. Amane Kagari
    Amane Kagari
    @NeoFantasy Often times, when Steam has a "store-wide sale", it means EVERYTHING is included whether their creators like it or not. When they say "store-wide", they mean store-wide. That's the problem with steam and many other platforms yet you still need them and they know it.
    Jun 21, 2019
  6. Amane Kagari
    Amane Kagari
    But if you don't care about how much money earned, you'd probably wouldn't care about a "little sale" (their sales can be HUGE). And if you're the customers (not you specifically but others), chances are, you probably wouldn't care as long as you're getting a discount. Sales are basically intended to benefit mostly the customers.
    Jun 21, 2019
  7. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    @Amane Kagari : Not every game go on sale during the 'store wide' sale, I've had games on my wish list with no discount during even the big Summer and Winter sales. So you do get to choose still.
    Jun 21, 2019
  8. NeoFantasy
    NeoFantasy
    I can imagine a sale helping someone pick up a cheap rm game, but when they're already usually so cheap it really doesn't seem fair to the developer.
    Jun 21, 2019
    Marsigne likes this.
  9. Uzuki
    Uzuki
    From what I've heard, a lot. These constant deep sales pretty much hurt anyone that isn't an AAA publisher. It makes people devalue games more than their worth.

@NeoFantasy Depends on the sale and how recent the game came out. I believe that if your game came out a month before the sale begins than you can opt out. If not you have to set it to the minimum discount.
    Jun 21, 2019
    Marsigne likes this.
  10. Amane Kagari
    Amane Kagari
    @bgillisp oh... I didn't know that. Sorry. Now I know. >_<
    Jun 21, 2019
    Marsigne likes this.
  11. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    @Uzuki : That can't be right, as I've seen games on my wishlist that are over a year old not go on sale still during those sales. So I do think it has to be a creator's choice.
    Jun 21, 2019
    Marsigne likes this.
  12. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    For instance, I remember none of the Altelier games on Steam were on sale during the last Winter sale, and some of them have been on Steam for over a year.
    Jun 21, 2019
    Marsigne likes this.
  13. Uzuki
    Uzuki
    The rules are so weird on steam about these sales. My info might be out of date because I haven't bothered to read up on it in a while.
    Jun 21, 2019
    Marsigne and Amane Kagari like this.
  14. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    They might have changed it due to how contracts are for the non-exclusive games. Some that are on Steam can't go on sale there without going on sale elsewhere if they signed a contract stating that the price will be the same on all platforms. That is what got Epic in trouble when they did their last sale.
    Jun 21, 2019
    Marsigne and Uzuki like this.
  15. OmnislashXX
    OmnislashXX
    The Steam Summer Sale.

Regardless, you can pick up some good stuff. For instance a lot of the RPG packages on here will also be on sale. They may hurt developers, but it also May help you if enough people download and play your game. Nothing works more than word of mouth.
    Jun 21, 2019
    Amane Kagari, Marsigne and NeoFantasy like this.
  16. OmnislashXX
    OmnislashXX
    Plus, for people who have limited incomes, you can buy bundles of games for really cheap.
    Jun 21, 2019
    Marsigne and NeoFantasy like this.
  17. Marsigne
    Marsigne
    I suspected it would hurt indie developers. But I guess that means we'd have to release our game shortly after June or December in order to maximize our exposure without a sale, right? (about the sale being optional, I remember RPGMakerMV not going deeply discounted for six months or so, so I'm guessing it's either manually or you have to contact Valve)
    Jun 21, 2019
    Amane Kagari likes this.
  18. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    @Marsigne : Right. That's what I hope to do. So by that reasoning August or February is probably the right time to release on Steam, as too soon after the sale everyone is broke too.
    Jun 21, 2019
    Marsigne likes this.
  19. OmnislashXX
    OmnislashXX
    And at the very least, you can get your Kagura Games bundle for cheap.
    Jun 21, 2019
    Marsigne likes this.